SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1
Default Rain water on the passenger side floor?

I have used a garden hose and can NOT find any sign of a leak, but every heavy rain leaves a wet floor/rug on the right and left side of the passenger side floor first (if it does not fill it up the floor), and I can never find where it came from even after the rain. Need some ideas, any typical sources?

Could we have bumped something while replacing the power steering pump last year?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ecomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ecomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ecomike is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
Default Re: Rain water on the passenger side floor?

Check the gasket/screen at the fresh air intake on the passenger side of the cowl below the windshield. It has likely come apart. I've had to repair this on each S-series I've owned. I've used RTV to mount the foam/gasket to the cowl and then RTV between the two foam pieces where the screen is located.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

Is this out side of the hood with the wiper blades on top of it(1)? Or under the hood(2)?

We had #1 off to fix something the windshield glass replacement guy screwed up about a year ago.

#2 is under the hood, oval shaped about 1x2" and I have no idea what it is for, but it has a gasket on top of screen too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ecomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #4
Cheyne

2000 SL2

#2 oval under the hood. It's designed to keep the water/debris out of the airbox. It has probably come apart/unsealed at the mounting point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #5
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Thanks, I was wondering what that was for and if and how it might be an issue. So it floods the air box and then leaks onto the floor? I will reseal it and see what happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #6
Ecomike

2001 SL1

I resealed it ( I think, we will see), may need a new one, I doubt they are cheap even if available, LOL. May be forced to make a new one, we will see.\

THANKS!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223151

1999 SL2 AT -78k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:02 PM   #8
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
#2 oval under the hood. It's designed to keep the water/debris out of the airbox. It has probably come apart/unsealed at the mounting point.

Well I thought I had it fixed but today the front seat floor is damp, like it has been for days of rain since before I resealed the vent oval.... but now I have 1/2" of water in the passenger side(same) rear floor?

Have no idea how it got there, if it came from the front seat floor? Is there another leak source for the back seat floor I missed, or does it migrate to the rear floor in volume? Looks to me like it would need to be over 2" deep of water in the front seat floor just to start getting back to the rear seat floor???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2016, 02:52 AM   #9
Darkfyre13
Darkfyre13 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Several questions lets try to eliminate some things here. Sunroof? Have you checked the seals hard around the outsides of the windows both front and rear doors and the softer seals within the channels? Have you checked the soft seals around the doors themselves? Run your finger in the gap around the edge of the windshield do you feel any thin spots cracks or voids in the adhesive/sealant? Check these out first let me know if all these come back okay I have one more thought, but I will let you get through this first.

1996 SL2 RIP Tranny 322k miles
1996 SL2 RIP Totaled in hail storm 169k miles
1998 SL2 RIP Broken Rod, Snapped Timing Chain 300k miles
2002 SL2 180,800 miles still going strong

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Darkfyre13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Darkfyre13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Darkfyre13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #10
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfyre13 View Post
Several questions lets try to eliminate some things here. Sunroof? Have you checked the seals hard around the outsides of the windows both front and rear doors and the softer seals within the channels? Have you checked the soft seals around the doors themselves? Run your finger in the gap around the edge of the windshield do you feel any thin spots cracks or voids in the adhesive/sealant? Check these out first let me know if all these come back okay I have one more thought, but I will let you get through this first.
Yes. My first question, still not answered is can and does water on the front seat floor somehow move to the rear seat flow such that one ends up with an inch of standing water in the rear seat floor and only a damp rug on the front seat floor over 7- days of rain?

I have been doing mechanic work for 45 years, and leak tracking on 30 year old beasts (mostly jeeps) the last 25 years, and I have examined everything I can see and feel, shorting of taking things apart and used a garden hose for 20 minutes to try and force and catch the leak, with no joy so far. I may still have an imperfect seal on the vent gasket under the hood, Hood is slightly bent too, making the seal imperfect versus the OEM..., but after resealing it, the leaked seemed to have stopped on the front seat floor area (we have 1-2 heavy rain events daily here for weeks),
But then I checked the rear seat floor just to sure I had the leak fixed, and found a fresh inch of water????

But looking under the front seat floor (I now have real bad rheumatoid Arthritis so I can not see all the way under or feel all the way under like I use too) So far I do not see any path for the water to move to the back seat floor even if the car is on a slight slope (which it maybe). Is there a small channel under the rug perhaps I can not see?

Is there a path there??? Is it under the rug? We had hell last month drying up the rear seat floor as more water seemed to keep coming from underneath the rug every time we vacuumed it out, with no new rain?????

If so then I think I need to rework and better seal, reinforce the vent gasket under the hood, maybe even work on the hood some.

I have gone out and felt for wet spots inside the Saturn right after a heavy rain to try and find the water source, and have yet to find anything from the roof, windows, doors top to bottom that is even damp. Once dry the first sign of water after the first rain is the rug floor only, on the front seat passenger side floor.

Thanks for your all's help here!!!! I am pretty sure the work I did on that AC fresh air vent gasket slowed the leak rate a lot. In fact until I found the 1" water puddle in the rear floor I thought that fixed it. Maybe the rain rate and wind needs to be severe enough for that vent gasket to leak. I will recheck the gasket this weekend to see if it has come loose anywhere.

Can we upload photos here? Or do we need o host them some where else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfyre13 View Post
No sunroof. Could not pay me to own a rig with a sunroof.

After using a high pressure garden hose to try and force leaks on all the windows front and back, zero leaks any where. The Windshield is 3 years old (tree limb nailed it), prefect seal under the glass all the way around and the leak has only been this year.

I was sure a garden hose would show me the leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #12
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1

My car has a sunroof and I fixed the wet headliner and front floors by fixing the drain tubes and unsticking the ends of the tubes.

My trunk leak was solved by pulling off the quarter panel and applying caulk to the big seam where the metal was joined.

Once I got the quarter panel off and sprayed the metal body with the hose, the leak source was obvious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #13
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1

Maybe this might help...
http://www.justanswer.com/saturn/3hv...ater-core.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #14
Cheyne

2000 SL2

There is no mistaking a coolant leak in the cabin.

It sounds like the vent gasket repair helped and may need further work to eliminate water in the passenger floor board. There is a raise in the body/floor between the front seats and back to which the seat tracks mount on the front. I don't see how water could get to the back unless you're on a &(*% of an incline with the front of the car up when parked.

You may have another issue. Check your trunk to see if it has any water in it. It's usually easiest to see in the recesses behind the wheel wells where it pools. It may not be from there, but it's an easy start.

The garden hose sometimes take a while to see if. Trunk inspection is looking for a body seam leak. Door moldings are also a possibility.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

I was gonna suggest body moulding as well. What I did, to track my leaks, was merely sat in my driver's seat during the rainfall. I found BOTH my passenger and driver door are leaking in the exact same spot. The water is collecting in the rear floor pans, and they are rotting.

I will be slapping some POR-15 down back there as soon as I get my car back. It has to go for inspection, and I doubt the State Patrol is going to be amused for me to tell them I have a "Jesus" package, because it is "Holy".

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #16
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
I was gonna suggest body moulding as well. What I did, to track my leaks, was merely sat in my driver's seat during the rainfall. I found BOTH my passenger and driver door are leaking in the exact same spot. The water is collecting in the rear floor pans, and they are rotting.

I will be slapping some POR-15 down back there as soon as I get my car back. It has to go for inspection, and I doubt the State Patrol is going to be amused for me to tell them I have a "Jesus" package, because it is "Holy".
So the water from the front door leak IS collecting/accumulating mostly in the rear floor pan?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #17
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
I was gonna suggest body molding as well. What I did, to track my leaks, was merely sat in my driver's seat during the rainfall. I found BOTH my passenger and driver door are leaking in the exact same spot. The water is collecting in the rear floor pans, and they are rotting.

We checked the trunk three times over 6 weeks and about 20 rain events. Bone dry.

I tried finding leaks during the rain event on my jeeps the last 10 years (80s models), it found the large leak(s), but the garden hose later found the small leaks that watching the rain from the inside missed. The Saturn leak seems to take a very heavy rain event, like 3" per hour, 1" in 15 minutes to get any water inside the Saturn now, which makes me suspect that vent gasket as the area it sits on must be getting flooded and the rain gets in over the top of the gasket (which is where it might still not be sealing to the bent hood).

But the sudden 1" of water in the rear seat floor, passenger side has me baffled, as I think it was bone dry for week or two of rain while the front rug got maybe a 1/8" of water on the two sides of the floor since my first seal attempt on that gasket under the hood. Maybe I disturbed the gasket raising the hood to check the gasket days before I noticed the 1" of rain in the rear.

I am wondering if there is a path for water from the front to rear seat floors under the rug. I guess I could dump a 5 gallon bucket of water on the front seat floor and see where it goes LOL.

I know the rear seat was bone dry for days of heavy rain while a little water, maybe 5% of what was getting in before, collected in the front seat floor before I fixed the vent gasket.

Small slow long drawn out rain events do not seem to get water into the Saturn.

Thanks for the feed back folks, keep them coming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2016, 05:07 AM   #18
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
So the water from the front door leak IS collecting/accumulating mostly in the rear floor pan?
Mine is an SC2, so it is a two door. The water collects under the seats, and flows back under the cross braces for the seat track holddown bolts, mounting bolts, whatever they are called. My Grand Am has a similar issue, due the the driver's door having a bad hinge bushing.

My leak is square in the middle of each roof-to-door moulding. Gonna try that vinyl foam tape.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #19
EchoMirage
EchoMirage has a spectacular aura aboutEchoMirage has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL2

dont know if this will help at all, but when i bought my 95 in 2014, both doors would leak during rain. it came right from the top of the door, and landed on the seats. after researching it here, i RTV'd the entire top seam on both sides; where the roof meets the door frames. from front to back, i put a heavy bead on. looks ugly, but it stopped the leaks 100%, and hasnt had a drop in 2 years.

When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty
95 SL2 bought in 8/14 with 23K original miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EchoMirage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EchoMirage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EchoMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #20
GMDad
GMDad is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Ecomike did you ever find the source of your water leak .?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMDad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMDad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote