SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
dennish541
dennish541 is on a distinguished road

Default glass pack

i recently replaced my exaust resonator with a cherry bomb muffler in order to get a little more sound from my -08-xr--now i am getting a poping sound from that area when i take off at about half throttle. i cannot tell if it is a rattle or is it possible i messed up the combustion/back pressure?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dennish541's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dennish541 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dennish541 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: glass pack

that's normal. you wanted more sound? you got it

you should have heard my 96 SC2 when I removed the stock pumpkin muffler and installed a Cherry Bomb. it sounded like a popcorn popper under braking when I'm heel-toe downshifting. my 02 SC2 back-pops when I lift and up-shift with the Thermal RD cat-back on it.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
*cAm*
*cAm* is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Soooo you took a nice, classy car and turned it into a wanna be ricer?

What's next, white wheels and 15 inch spoiler?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to *cAm*'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help *cAm* reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
*cAm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
oachalon
oachalon is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

cam i agree with you. As soon as i saw the title glass pack i cringed. What do you think was going to happen when you replaced your resonator with a cheap $20 muffler that makes your car buzz. Changing your resonator to a glass pack will definately change your back pressure and could possibly cause backfire. All cars backfire to some degree but stock exhausts usually keep it from happening as much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oachalon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oachalon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
mackinturk
mackinturk is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XR

the name "cherry BOMB" didn't clue you in to what it would sound like?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mackinturk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mackinturk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mackinturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
Falconfire
Falconfire is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
cam i agree with you. As soon as i saw the title glass pack i cringed. What do you think was going to happen when you replaced your resonator with a cheap $20 muffler that makes your car buzz. Changing your resonator to a glass pack will definately change your back pressure and could possibly cause backfire. All cars backfire to some degree but stock exhausts usually keep it from happening as much.
Agree with you full but the cost.

Cherry Bomb mufflers, if its a honest to god Cherry Bomb brand one are NOT cheap. Last time I looked for one back in the day it was almost 200 dollars for one.

Also part of your problem is likely because Cherry Bomb actually does not make a Saturn Aura specific model that takes the engine performance into account. What you have on your car is likely another models muffler retrofitted to the Aura exhaust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Falconfire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Falconfire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Falconfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
*cAm*
*cAm* is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Expensive or not, Cherry Bombs belong on 1991 Honda CRV Hatchbacks with half the windows tinted, wheels that don't match, and a sound system that consists on stereo speakers from your home audio system.

Don't disgrace an Aura like that. Ick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to *cAm*'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help *cAm* reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
*cAm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Hey!n 91 Honda, I think not.
They are perfect for a classic street rod, (for example, see my avatar,) for which they were originally made.
We all had them back in the 50's and 60's. They came in two sizes, like 18 inch and 24 inch, period. Sound was loud and popped like crazy when you downshifted and came to a stop. They worked great with the flame throwers too, because they didn't slow the exhaust down at all.

Putting one on a car with a real muffler behind it should change the tone but not the intensity of the exhaust note. That's why you change the stock muffler to a pair of Magna Flow or Flow Masters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
XR524
XR524 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

for everyones information, glasspacks/cherry bombs dont always sound like rice. on most cars though, yes. I had a glass pack on my old cougar and it wasnt poppy at all. it was actually very quiet compared to most performance aftermarket mufflers. It only sounded aggressive when i literally floored it. whiel driving easy and calmly, it was almost unnoticeable. i wouldnt personally put a glasspack on my aura, because its a classy car. i dont feel that the aura would match up well with an aggressive or loud exhaust. Ive been looking into to quietest way possible to upgrade the exhaust system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
lococrzy
lococrzy is on a distinguished road

I Have a 4 Cyl and ive been trying to find a Magna Flow or Flowmaster exaughst for it, but cant find anything. i want to make it have a dual tip exaugsht like the XR but with the throughty magnaflow sound, not loud or anything but just nice lol. this might have to be something custom right ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lococrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lococrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococrzy View Post
I Have a 4 Cyl and ive been trying to find a Magna Flow or Flowmaster exaughst for it, but cant find anything. i want to make it have a dual tip exaugsht like the XR but with the throughty magnaflow sound, not loud or anything but just nice lol. this might have to be something custom right ?
Definitely. You will need to take it to a muffler shop that does custom bending and mounting. Look for a shop that seems to specialize in 4X4's or Rice Burner exhaust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #12
lococrzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
Definitely. You will need to take it to a muffler shop that does custom bending and mounting. Look for a shop that seems to specialize in 4X4's or Rice Burner exhaust.
Rice Burner???

i dont want my car sounding like a 94 Honda Civic !!

i want it closer to the sound of a Nissan 350Z or a G37. even the 4cyl Altima has a nice note to its exaughst, one very similar to that of the Z .... hmmmm

I hope this is plausable .... :/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococrzy View Post
Rice Burner???

i dont want my car sounding like a 94 Honda Civic !!

i want it closer to the sound of a Nissan 350Z or a G37. even the 4cyl Altima has a nice note to its exaughst, one very similar to that of the Z .... hmmmm

I hope this is plausable .... :/
You want Magna Flow muffler(s) for that deep tone.
Personally, I love the sound of the Porche Cayenne.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #14
XR524

2007 AURA XR

Magna flows are still loud, a little too loud for my taste. I mean, the Aura XR is relatively quick for a sedan, but loud exhaust? No way. You never hear loud exhaust on audis, bmws or mercedes.... point and case. Auras arent for racing or showing off how loud you can get your exhaust. But Dynomax mufflers are supposedly the quietest performance mufflers on the market.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
black98dohc
Advanced Member
black98dohc is on a distinguished road

For "cam" dude my current setup is a cherrybomb glasspack in place of oem resonator and no oem muffler, and it doesnt sound ricy, nor high pitch, and it wont throw back fire so please dont talk if you don't know. Since i want my car to sound little louder i will change my glaspack for a smaller one but it will be the same setup.

1998 SC2 - 92' header, Cat-back, CAI, Wires and plugs, Intrax lowering kit, Strut bar, LUK clutch, Just polished, Short shifter & Dojo™ knob
Coming up: Meet up on the 25th.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to black98dohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help black98dohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
black98dohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 AM   #16
nekkidhillbilly
nekkidhillbilly is on a distinguished road

flowmasters suck for power

dynomax or magnas please

2004 duramax 2500hd
1966 buick skylark gs
2008 saturn aura xr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nekkidhillbilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nekkidhillbilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #17
XR524

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
flowmasters suck for power

dynomax or magnas please
what're you doin up on the internet at 3:30 in the mornin! damn!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I agree with XR524,

If anything toss the glass pack on a riced out XE 2.4...

Something like an AURA should never be disrespected in such a fashion.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #19
nekkidhillbilly
nekkidhillbilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR524 View Post
what're you doin up on the internet at 3:30 in the mornin! damn!

3rd shift

2004 duramax 2500hd
1966 buick skylark gs
2008 saturn aura xr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nekkidhillbilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nekkidhillbilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #20
lococrzy

Hey AuraDRvr, What gives man dont hate on the 2.4 a chery bomb glass pack should never be on any aura go throw one of those on an Astra or an ION.

O BTW thanks for your replys i will def have to look into a Dynomax exaughst if its quieter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!