SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
Averjoe
Averjoe is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Engine surging and stalling, engine temp gauge fluctuating, where do I start?

I have a 2002 SL2 with 240k. I've noticed for the past couple of weeks that the gas milage was about 5 mpg below normal. The battery died on me last week, so I replaced it, but the alternator seemed to be fine as it was showing around 14.5v at 2000rpm and about 13.8v under full load (lights, radio, wipers, defrost, etc)

However, yesterday the engine starts surging and almost stalling, and the engine temp gauge was fluctuating. Quick test showed alternator at less than 13v with no load. So, I replaced the alternator last night. This morning it starts doing the same thing on my way to work. It's throwing two codes, P0118 (expected) and P0714( not expected). After searching the forums, likely suspects are the ETCS, CPS, or the PCM. But, which should I try first?

Here's a video of what it's doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyQD...l=JosephPiazza

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Averjoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Averjoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Averjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
ErikTande
ErikTande will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Engine surging and stalling, engine temp gauge fluctuating, where do I start?

Do the coolant temp sensor first. That can cause those problems and the screwy gauge is a dead giveaway.

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Engine surging and stalling, engine temp gauge fluctuating, where do I start?

ECTS, ECTS connector, ECTS wiring. No splices in the ECTS wiring unless soldered --NO crimp connectors!

Best guess is you have a bad crimp connector in the wiring and this alone will cause your symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
Averjoe
Averjoe is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Thanks guys. After a few minutes rooting around, I found that one of the wires to the ECTS was bad. Luckily, I found a replacement connector locally, just have to wire it up tonight. Time to break out the soldering iron and heat shrink. I think I may also get some wire loom to better protect it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Averjoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Averjoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Averjoe is offline   Reply With Quote