SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #1
nkb97sl1
nkb97sl1 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy HELP! Accidentally pulled the purple horn wire out while trying to remove steering wh

We have a 1997 SL1 that is on 188k miles. My husband's ignition switch went bad (after a few weeks of intermittent no key dinging) and started to smoke. He drove it home and we realized the switch went bad. We ordered a new one and watched the richpin video and removed the airbag and then tried to remove the steering wheel. It didn't mention unhooking the horn button so we didn't and when my husband was able to finally get it off, he ripped out the purple wire going to the airbag coil and the black wire to the right hand horn button.

Is there anyway to fix this or are we screwed? We need the horn to work for inspection that is due at the ends of this month.

After further research I realized I didn't even need to take the steering wheel off which is like adding salt to the wound.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nkb97sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nkb97sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nkb97sl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: HELP! Accidentally pulled the purple horn wire out while trying to remove steerin

There is a Richpin video on horn button replacement. It is easy once the airbag is off. Undo the connector, unscrew the ground, and the buttons slide right out. I have a cracked horn button I need to replace. I yanked one from the junkyard.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
nkb97sl1

Default Re: HELP! Accidentally pulled the purple horn wire out while trying to remove steerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb97sl1 View Post
We have a 1997 SL1 that is on 188k miles. My husband's ignition switch went bad (after a few weeks of intermittent no key dinging) and started to smoke. He drove it home and we realized the switch went bad. We ordered a new one and watched the richpin video and removed the airbag and then tried to remove the steering wheel. It didn't mention unhooking the horn button so we didn't and when my husband was able to finally get it off, he ripped out the purple wire going to the airbag coil and the black wire to the right hand horn button.

Is there anyway to fix this or are we screwed? We need the horn to work for inspection that is due at the ends of this month.

After further research I realized I didn't even need to take the steering wheel off which is like adding salt to the wound.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Thank you for responding,

I maybe didn't explain it clearly. We didn't disconnect the horn connector, so the purple wire ripped our of the airbag clockspin. Not sure how to get the wire attached again with the other three wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nkb97sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Pictures will help here. We need to see the damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
nkb97sl1

Here is a picture of 1) the wire pulled out and 2) where it was pulled out of.

I tried to push it back into the connector but now the horn isn't working. I was able to replace the ignition switch without removing any other part of the steering column (ugh if only I had discovered that earlier) and put it all back together so my husband could drive to work tomorrow

We need the horn to work to pass inspection. (Must be done in the next two weeks. ) Should I try to fox ir in the wheel or explore and auxillary horn (was suggested to me at the auto parts store today)

Thank you for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-07-17 21.24.34.jpg (81.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-07-17 21.23.34.jpg (116.4 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by nkb97sl1; 07-17-2018 at 08:26 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

You would need to solder the connection of the wire to the pin in the connector. I believe the pin comes out like most automotive connectors; it has a locking tab that you would need to depress to release it.

The other option is to find a donor car and cut the connector off with a few inches of leading wire or several depending where you decide to splice. You would then splice the donor connector into your cars wiring replacing the damaged connector. It's best to solder and shrink wrap each wire to ensure a good connection.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Yes, what trottida says. Remove the connector and inspect the connection. There is way to remove the wire pin. From there, you can resolder the wire onto the pin and then push the pin back into the connector.

Or go to the junkyard and cut this connector off a donor vehicle. You'd then resolder the 5 wires with the connector attached onto your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
nkb97sl1

Thanks great news! My only question is I can't seem to get the connector off of the clockspring? Is there a trick I am missing?
Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #9
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

It's been a while since I've looked at one but now I'm thinking that you'll have to replace the clock spring. Where do the other wires coming from the damaged area go to? Connectors that plug into the wiring harness or the wiring harness itself?

Without seeing the whole picture I made an assumption it was the later. If not then I think you'll have to replace the clock spring.

I have one in storage; I'll see if I can remember to take a look at it this evening.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
nkb97sl1

Thanks for your insight.

The connector is attached to the clockspring which is why I'm hesitant to try to disconnect it. The damaged purple wrire is to the horn the other wires I believe deal with the airbag but are in the connector and not affected, so I don't want to mess with it too much.

We were told to buy this to pass inspection with a horn

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
nkb97sl1

Thank you for all your advice. After peeling back plastic on the wire I was able to shove it in far enough to get the horn working again!

Love this group. ...you keep our saturn going!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Glad you got it going again, perseverance works!
Oh, I don't know which state you live in, but I doubt Virginia would pass a car that did not have the horn button on the steering wheel, but used a dash mounted button.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote