SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Silly Electrons

Strange evening. I got back from two days out of town. The Saturn had sat for those 2 days. Jumped in to go to the local store and it started normally, but the gas gauge was off the scale empty. I thought I had some gas in it. Added some more and drove home. Two hours later, I went to go somewhere else and got crank but no start. I could not hear the fuel pump prime, so I started troubleshooting. Swapped the fuel pump and a/c relays, cleaned the connector in the trunk - still no joy. Jumped 87 and 30 in the fuse panel and when I tried to crank it, I got complete electrical failure. I checked the battery terminals and the positive was loose. Tightened it, put the fuel pump relay back in and the car fired right up, gas gauge read 1/2 tank and it ran fine. But for the first time ever, I can no longer turn off the rear window defroster. Guess I'll just disconnect it!

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Re: Silly Electrons

An update and plea for advice. The car has started and run fine since I tightened the battery terminals. I'm using it daily.

The indicator on the rear window defroster button stays lit constantly, even with the defroster physically disconnected and the relay removed. Dome light works normally, but chime is gone. On initial start, when I release the hand brake, DRL's come on for a second, then flash rapidly for about 5 seconds, then go off, never to return until the car is turned off and restarted.

I can live with this for the few months I intend to keep driving this car, but if there is a simple fix, I'm all ears.

Thanks

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Saturns from '00 and up use body control modules (BCM) to drive the instrument panel lights, indicators, gauges, Passlock theft deterrent, interior/exterior lighting, monitor diagnostics to pass info to the OBD II port, remote door lock/unlock, rear trunk release,gear shift unlock, rear defrost, battery rundown protection and horn. ABS and airbags have their own module and indicators on the instrument panel. The bcm controls the DRLs to run high beams. If the drl light flashes several times then turns off, manually turn on high beams and check for a blown high beam light or corroded connections to each high beam light. Since the defrost control starts with a push button command, either the button is sticking or you may have the beginnings of bcm failure with symptoms pointing to the bcm. Symptoms are lack of defrost control, chime alerts missing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

JY and get another BCM out of a Saturn with the same number of connectors and the same options. The 30 min security relearn will marry it back to the car. The engine/transmission does not matter but the other options do as well as mileage. The year is not critical.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
Happy Re: Silly Electrons

It is a GM. 99% of your problems, with a GM, are electrical problems. You could have a flat tire and it will somehow be related the "Service Engine Soon" light being on for a failing engine sensor, on a GM product....

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

Thanks guys. I suspected the BCM also. Honestly, I think it is trying to tell me that after 17 years and 313,000 miles, it might be time for a new car. There are so many things worn out on the old girl, it is just not worth the time or money to fix them anymore.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 08-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #7
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

Just an update to this bizarre story. Yesterday, thanks in part to the non-functioning chime, I left the headlights on all afternoon at work. Starter would barely turn when I went to leave. Got a jump from a coworker and it fired right up. Chime works, rear defroster switch works, and DRL's work.

Got to love a car that fixes itself!

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 08-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The BCM has a small embedded processor in it. One of the only user possible fixes for a flaky BCM is a system cold boot. By leaving the lights on you succeeded in cold booting the system(BCM). The other way to do this is disconnect the battery negative and then turn on all electrical loads and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. Be sure the battery is fully charged. Then turn everything OFF and re-connect the negative. The system cold boot does not fix all of them but it fixes many of them.

GM control systems act a lot like Windows .... periodic reboot required.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #9
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

GM should have put CTRL, ALT and DEL buttons somewhere

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 08-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I used to explain how to do this reset when the system went sideways but got tired of the arguing about how it all functioned and why it may or may not work. Low battery usually sets you up for this failure as a true hardware failure is permanent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #11
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

The general principle here is a cold reboot, not just a warm reboot to clear a software issue, but a full shutdown by disconnecting the battery and powering on all the accessories to bleed off any capacitance that holds the PRAM settings in place so it can reset itself. This is good to know as Iím likely to own another Saturn with a BCM at some point. Troubleshooting things like this drive people nuts.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, Totaled at 205K miles.
#7 1995 SC2, 121K, daily driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A cold reboot usually occurs; when battery dies of old age/disconnected to replace it with a new battery, battery negative cable is disconnected for any reason, pcm/ecm/bcm fuse(s) are removed for electrical repairs/work/replacement. Even mistakenly boosting a battery with reverse polarity may create a momentary short/reversal of voltage to create an unusual condition to drop/reverse voltage enough to have electronics reboot on its own.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The BCM has a small embedded processor in it. One of the only user possible fixes for a flaky BCM is a system cold boot. By leaving the lights on you succeeded in cold booting the system(BCM). The other way to do this is disconnect the battery negative and then turn on all electrical loads and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. Be sure the battery is fully charged. Then turn everything OFF and re-connect the negative. The system cold boot does not fix all of them but it fixes many of them.
Interesting, thanks.

Seems like the kind of thing you can do every so often. For example, when a new battery is needed every 5~7 years, disconnect the negative first and turn everything on in car.

Then fiddle with those little 10mm bolts/nuts for the hold down strap, remove the positive, put in the new battery, bolt in the positive and the hold down strap. Take a beer break, turn everything back off, then hook up the negative.

Quote:
GM control systems act a lot like Windows .... periodic reboot required.
Oh, good lord, your car running on Windows, I don't see what could possibly go wrong

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Generally a battery swap does take long enough to get a good cold start. Most of these failures trace to a chronic low battery condition and a hard start drops voltage low enough to cause data stream corruption.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!