SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2018, 12:15 AM   #1
Ulykethat
Ulykethat is on a distinguished road

Default Vue won't start after engine swap

Hey folks, I haven't been on here in quite some time, mainly being the fact that my 2006 Vue RL AWD has been out of service. So anyway, I got around to finally finding a replacement engine for it from a 05 FWD Vue. Mostly everything went smoothly with putting the used [verified good and running] engine in. Now I feel like I've checked about everything I can think of and the engine just will not fire up. Just to list the main things I can recall going over: Connectors, wires, sensors, starter, security system, spark plugs, fuel feed, fresh fuel, battery, relays, and fuses.
Ugh, the engine just seems so close to firing every time so I'm certain it's something small and simple! At least I'd like to hope! Thanks.

Last edited by Ulykethat; 03-04-2018 at 12:21 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ulykethat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ulykethat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ulykethat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Re: Vue won't start after engine swap

Get some starting fluid and see what it does with that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L

What engine?

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

That should be obvious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Ulykethat

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
What engine?
3.5 V6, which is what it originally had in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ulykethat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2018, 06:48 AM   #6
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L

I'm not sure about the V6, but on the 2.2, a common problem is people not getting all the ground connections re-connected.

Another 2.2 issue is the throttle body and fuel injector connectors can accidentally be swapped. When they do this it blows out the ECM..

As for you, verify grounds, verify fuel pressure at the rail. verify crank sensor is connected. I'm not sure how the security system works. i.e. does it prevent the engine from being started.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
Ulykethat

Just tried starting fluid a bunch of times with no change. That would mean fuel feed should not be the issue then? Also, I'm getting good voltage at all spark plugs. I'm perplexed...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
waiter21

2003 VUE 2.2L

If it won't fire with starting fluid, its either no spark, no compression, or bad timing.

ALSO - I'm not sure how the security lockout functions on yours. i.e. engine will crank but will not start?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #9
atikovi
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulykethat View Post
Just tried starting fluid a bunch of times with no change. That would mean fuel feed should not be the issue then? Also, I'm getting good voltage at all spark plugs. I'm perplexed...
I would think so. What do you mean good voltage at all spark plugs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
Ulykethat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
I would think so. What do you mean good voltage at all spark plugs?
Well I'm getting consistent voltage at all the plug coils.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #11
atikovi
Advanced Member

But are the plugs firing? Is there room to stick a spark tester into the end of a coil to see if they are working?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #12
blaster88
blaster88 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

I know you said fuses and relays - but the fuel pump fuse under the hood? And injector fuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blaster88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blaster88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blaster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #13
Ulykethat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster88 View Post
I know you said fuses and relays - but the fuel pump fuse under the hood? And injector fuse.
All the fuses and relays in the fuse box under the hood and at the pass floorboard, yes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #14
Ulykethat

OK, so I've confirmed that there is no spark anywhere. Could it be some security feature although there's no dash light? Or maybe crank sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #15
waiter21

2003 VUE 2.2L

I'm not sure about the V6. Crank position sensor would be my first guess if it were a 2.2. If this was an engine swap, make sure its plugged in and not just hanging lose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #16
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Pull spark plugs - if (1)fuel pressure and (2) injectors are operating, plugs should be wet with fuel. Fuel pressure can be checked at the test valve after ignition is turned on by depressing the valve stem, expecting fuel spray out. Injectors operate only when the engine turns over with the crank sensor sending timing signals, allowing the ECM to run the EFI system (fuel pump, injectors, spark). If you see and smell fuel on plugs, the crank sensor is working.

No spark can be from blown fuses, blown coils, faulty wiring, faulty ECM.

No spark and no fuel to plugs (several starting attempts should result in wet plugs) tends to point to a faulty crank sensor unless wiring was inadvertently crossed or disconnected.

Injectors are disabled when Passlock is activated (flashing security during starting) to prevent engine running. Spark is not part of Passlock theft deterrent.

Sometimes after any major repair and things don't go right, a long pause may help in refocusing where things may have been left disconnected.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #17
Ulykethat

So after further troubleshooting and getting almost nowhere, I took it to my "trusted" mechanic. He said that basically there is a pin [#70?] that should be reading 13v, or battery voltage, and is only putting out 2v. Don't really know where to go from there, nor does he....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #18
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What's the complete pinout info? Just stating pin#70 can mean several
terminal pins ID'd as 70....Connector ID, which component its connected to, wire color, etc..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:43 AM   #19
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is on a distinguished road

Did you swap the PCM as well or are you using the original one?

If you are using a new PCM than the anti-theft system is preventing if from starting and you will need to reflash it with a GM scan tool.

Another possibilty:

I once swapped an engine in another car and it had a bad misfire issue after the swap. After doing a lot of research online I learned that it needed a crankshaft position sensor relearn via a GM scan tool. The PCM's is some makes and models need this procedure done and in some the PCM's do the relearn automatically. Some cars will not start without this procedure. The Vue uses the Motorola PCM from the Acura MXD (all other Honda V6 cars of the era use different PCM's for some reason) and I don't know if is does the relearn automatically.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tobacconist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tobacconist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #20
spenser4
spenser4 is on a distinguished road

Correct you need to flash the BCM that is the unit that controls the security. I have flashed sever using my tech 2 and tis 2000 login.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spenser4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spenser4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spenser4 is offline   Reply With Quote