SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
silverslp
silverslp is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
1998 SL2
Default 2005 Ion 3 - P0442 & P0445

My 2005 Ion had a leaky fuel line under the left rear tire, so I took it in to have that section of line replaced and had a new fuel filter installed. Shortly after, I got 2 codes - a p0442 and p0455 (sorry, i misspelled the title of this post) which I understand are small and large evap leaks. I have since replaced the gas cap, Vapor purge canister evaporator valve (under the hood) and the vapor canister vent solenoid by the gas tank, but still get the codes together.

Does anyone have any idea of what else to try? I would like to avoid going to a shop if at all possible. One thought would be the evap line next to the gas line i had replaced? Thank you.

2002 Saturn SC1 - 175k Miles - Manual Trans.
2005 Saturn Ion 3 - 115k Miles - Auto Trans.
1998 Saturn SL2 - 185k Miles - Auto Trans.

Last edited by silverslp; 08-26-2017 at 11:17 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverslp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverslp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silverslp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2005 Ion 3 - P0442 & P0445

Since you're in Rust BElt Central, I would suggest the line/s from the gas fill to the tank, (or their connects) as a soure of possible EVAP leak.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
silverslp

2002 SC1
1998 SL2
Default Re: 2005 Ion 3 - P0442 & P0455

Thanks for the suggestion. I have noticed that some of the lines look quite rusty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help silverslp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As a rust belt driver, I've had both error codes. The first was P0442, small evap leak from the gas cap (suspected it from reading threads) and was solved by examining the cap seal and treating with silicone to rejuvenate it, cleaning the plastic fuel fill nozzle). That was several years ago until P0455, large evap leak occurred. Several resets later and more threads led me to find the fuel vent pipe running next to the fuel fill pipe corroded thru at a bracket, splitting the vent pipe in two. Both steel lines. Replacing the fuel fill pipe assembly corrected the P0455 error. Salted streets, roads and highways in and around NYC accelerates corrosion. Spraying a layer of undercoating on the new parts should ensure these two pipes last as the rest of the undercarriage corrodes........

If you have the time and patience, crawling around under the car by the fuel fill pipes may reveal corrosion on steel parts. My P0455 occurred over a year's time, gradually (early resets worked), as the small vent line was eaten away from salting. Once resets failed, I crawled under to find the break.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
silverslp

2002 SC1
1998 SL2

The fuel filler neck vent pipes are definitely a possibility as well. Did you change this part yourself? Where do the lines go and where do they attach? Have you seen a "how to" or instructions anywhere on how to replace this part?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I found info related to each error here, read about the experiences from members then read my service manuals for specific procedures to find more info before deciding whether or not I can do the work. Not being a young means crawling on my back and feeling the aches later. Yes, I did replace the part after sizing up the work; cardboard box for a soft bed to lay on, rear wheel removal, casual brake inspection, tearing off the reusable rubber fuel nozzle gator, unscrewing the single rusted machine screw to the top fill pipe bracket, crawling under the jacked up right rear on my L300 to look over where clamps, brackets and fasteners are to loosen or remove for pipe assembly removal. Of course I did this with a completely filled tank (NOT) to make it dangerous for spilling fuel all over myself and garage floor for the insurance job..... You get the picture don't you?

On L300's and most likely most cars, the second smaller vent line is connected to the vent valve canister next the to fuel nozzle, hidden by the fuel nozzle gator. This is clamped to the small line and either removed with the assembly or left mounted. I removed mine since I'll never revisit this repair and worth the time to examine, disassemble and study it for alien information. Mostly to learn what its does and physically identify it for future reference when service manuals are more bereft of detailed info. The 30,000 lb manuals have less info compared to older manuals containing all the info in one fat soft cover. More electronics info but less info about things that aren't explained well like the vent canister and what's in it, when the valve is open and when its closed.

If your steel fuel lines are severely corroded, inspection is first to assess where corrosion would leave breaks. A mechanics mirror will help in dark nooks and crannies along with a droplight. Please don't presume this is the sole reason for your two error codes. Service manual explanations always list every possibility in anticipation; electrically operated valves, steel piping, rubber lines, clamps, wiring, chafing, etc.. The emissions systems are more complicated and almost requires a degree in rocket science but fortunately theses systems are just complex enough to make parts swapping expensive for everyone. Even when confused, I try to read about others and their experiences before attempting personal repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
silverslp

2002 SC1
1998 SL2

Good information. I crawled under my Ion and I only have 1 line coming down the fuel filler tube and it is plastic / rubber. I also noticed 2 metal lines by the gas tank (one of them, the fuel line, was cut and replaced with new line) and the other line was severely corroded. I'm assuming this is an evap return line?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A look in service manuals with poorly drawn illustrations compared to older manuals with line drawings, photo illustrations and plain black and white photos makes a difference is how I can imagine what'e there before I look at something. Present manuals have way less detailed drawings and zero photos/line drawings to show actual parts. Without detailed images, I'm left to imagination and descriptions. Rubber can break without leaving traces of where a crack occurs, clamps can corrode and loosen its grip to allow leakage, solenoid valves fail by having debris block passages or coil/wire failure without advanced testing. I've read of California emissions where smog shops specialize in using a smoke generator to gently expose damaged hoses (rubber, nylon, steel) and effective for a fee. A smoke generator would be used here if a shop is experienced and aren't afraid to invest in equipment to cut down on second guessing and wasting time. Emissions systems operate on less than a few psi to detect fuel pressure vapors and vacuum when recycling fuel vapors using engine vacuum. The fuel pressure sensor on top of our fuel tanks isn't for measuring injector fuel pressure as some may assume. Its measuring low fuel vapor pressure (<1 psi) and vacuum when a fuel system is sealed by solenoid valves during testing at every engine cycle while we drive.

The drawings showing the evaporative emissions system is just a generalized one for an overall perspective. Procedures to replace specific parts are drawings and not as clear as desired so separating emissions lines from fuel lines may be difficult. I assume the main (large diameter) steel fuel pipe from the filler neck to the tank is just that with all other lines made of coated steel running to the fuel filter and forward to the engine bay. I presume all other lines are for the emissions system for vapor collection to the charcoal canister and various valves (evap purge, vent valve, charcoal canister valve). The basic nightmare of modern evap systems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #9
silverslp

2002 SC1
1998 SL2

Interesting. Unfortunately, sounds as though I'm best off setting up an appointment at the service shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's some info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P0455-1.jpg (164.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P0455-2.jpg (197.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P0455-3.jpg (171.4 KB, 6 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Control System Description.pdf (106.6 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!