SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
moogoogypan
moogoogypan has a spectacular aura aboutmoogoogypan has a spectacular aura aboutmoogoogypan has a spectacular aura about

Default 0300 random misfire

2005 2.2 Vue 127K
Have poured over the forums about this troublesome misfire issue.

Car generally runs great. A couple of years ago went so far as to replace the cylinder head because I was at a loss for what the issue was. That did not solve the issue but then did a couple of injector cleaner treatments and seemed to cure the problem.
Now similar issue has returned to haunt me. Think compression is fine. Tried the cleaner again.
The problem is intermittent but seems to have some relation to lower idle/engine load conditions such as climbing a steep hill. However it also happened a couple of times under normal driving conditions. Check engine light comes on if i keep driving it flashes. Have not gone far after CEL comes on. If i stop right away, shut the engine off and then fire it up the problem goes away.

so naturally the problem is....... and can be fixed for almost no money by......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moogoogypan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moogoogypan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moogoogypan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 0300 random misfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogoogypan View Post
2005 2.2 Vue 127K ... misfire issue...went so far as to replace the cylinder head . Check engine light comes on if i keep driving it flashes. ...
What do your plugs look like?
If you don't know how old they are( miles) have a new set ready to go in their place...

Keep it up with a flashing CEL and you'll trash your catcon( if it isn't already). Bad mixtures and misfire ruin them quick.

What does your upstream O-sensor look like?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
moogoogypan
moogoogypan has a spectacular aura aboutmoogoogypan has a spectacular aura aboutmoogoogypan has a spectacular aura about

Thanks billysvue,

Will check plugs, though they were replaced maybe 50k ago.

Will look at O2 sensor. Do you know of a test for it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help moogoogypan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Not sure if its the same but I've found that the specific cylinder for a misfire is totally random on my 06 3.5L. Just pull each and inspect. I've had unplugged coils and oil filled plugs and the actual cylinder reported had no relation to the actual cylinder having the issue.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
moogoogypan

Thanks Robert,

Guess I just need to dig in and see what I find.

Will let y'all know if i stumble across anything culpable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In general, misfiring can be mechanical and/or electronic. Mechanical; lost compression (a compression gauge borrowed from Autozone/Advance Auto), disintegrating catalytic converter blocking exhaust flow (strangling normal engine operation), damaged/clogged injectors, fuel fouling, skipped chain timing. Electronic; ignition system, crank sensor, pcm, wiring, electrical power system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
moogoogypan

Nice layout fdryer.
Did replace the cat a while back. Was wondering if a hole in the muffler would somehow cause issues upstream(?) Added injector cleaner but never replaced injectors so they are a candidate.
Will check plugs and boots but sound like the other candidate for possible replacement is the coil pack. Will search form for tests on the coil to save throwing needless dough at it.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
moogoogypan

update:

Checked plugs and boots, looked good so went ahead and sprung for the ICM and the coil pack both.

Think issue has been resolved. Unfortunately can not tell y'all which part was the culprit and honestly I would rather not know considering i can't return either.

In the interest of a case study, i should mention that in addition to the random misfire issue mentioned the car also would spit and sputter just a bit for some time prior to the more serious issue. Naturally, i ignored the warning sign and pretended it was just a sweet little quirk that I just had to accept. Sound familiar anyone?

Thanks you gentleman. Appreciate having you out there to think this stuff through with.

'Till next time, cheers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

With icm and coil pack replaced to correct this problem, it's mostly likely the icm that failed as it's a common failure with 2.2L engines. It may have to do with where its located on top of a hot engine to suffer cooking influences. Electronics can't take too much abuse from heat with more icm failures than coil packs. You can always try putting the original icm back in (the easier of the two to replace) and see if the problem returns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
moogoogypan

Sounds dead on fdryer.

Now that you mention it the coil pack looked a little warped, also indicating effects of the 'cooking'.

Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #11
moogoogypan

Well i am back. Got the P0420 code thrown after the above work.

A couple of years ago replaced the muffler side 02 sensor so i assumed the catalytic converter converter was the issue. Since the muffler was shot anyway, ended up replacing the exhaust back from the manifold.

Have driven at least 200 miles and the check engine light remains on. Car seems to run great so i am wondering if the CEL can be somehow reset or..........?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
moogoogypan

Well it looks like i am not quite there. Got the P0420 code thrown after the above work.

A couple of years ago replaced the muffler side 02 sensor so i assumed the catalytic converter was the issue. Since the muffler was shot anyway, ended up replacing the exhaust (including the catalytic converter) back from the manifold.

Have driven at least 200 miles and the check engine light remains on. Car seems to run great so i am wondering if the CEL can be somehow reset or..........?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Computer( CEL) can be reset by disconnecting POSITIVE batt cable from battery and shorting the +cable to ground.

Upstream sensor is how old? SOunds like you fried it and your cat by driving with a rich ( misfire) mixture. It only takes a few miles to kill.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

DTC P0420 states the catcon is worn. Some tried 'plug defoulers', adapting an extension to move the sensor further away from the exhaust stream and cancelling the error code. No guarantee of erasing the code but its worth considering. Search youtube videos for background info.

If the car isn't due for state emissions inspection, resetting the error code can be done in one of several ways; pcm fuse removal, battery negative cable disconnect, reader with reset capability. If the error comes back, the problem is real.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DTC P0420.pdf (106.5 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #15
moogoogypan

Will try the battery style reset and take it from there.....

Thanks for your continued guidance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #16
moogoogypan

Hi,

Just want put this thread to bed.

Took fdryer's recommendation and did the positive terminal disconnect. CEL gone. Got my car back.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2017, 11:39 PM   #17
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just to be clear, battery positive disconnect is never recommended. Battery negative is always recommended when disconnecting main power. One reason for always removing battery negative;

Speaking of automotive, there is one particular situation worthy of mention where removing the negative connection is recommended for safety reasons- and that is when you are working on a car. Since the negative terminal is almost always connected very solidly to the chassis, if you try to remove the positive terminal with a (conductive) wrench/spanner and the tool touches the chassis hundreds of amperes will flow, causing the wrench to get red hot. Some people have left their wedding or other rings on and receive severe burns (to the point of possibly losing their finger) when the ring formed part of the circuit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #18
moogoogypan

I'm back.

Not sure this latest item is related to the original post but thought i should wake this tread back up just in case. Ye old check engine light has reappeared. Brought it to the local Advance to get the scan (which I have done successfully on several occasions) but their reader was not able to obtain a reading.

Radio and cigarette lighter are operational so I am assuming it is not a fuse at fault.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #19
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Tried AutoZone or AAMCO for free error code reading?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #20
moogoogypan

fdryer,

Thought did cross my mind. A bit further drive but will get over to Auto Zone sometime soon.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!