SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #21
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: A CM off TDC for timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000sl1blue View Post
Is it possible to pull the pan with the engine in the car? It seems like the bolts for the pan aren't able to be accessed next to the flywheel. And I'm never pulling another engine again now even to salvage this rebuild hahahaha. I'm willing to drop the pan again, but I don't know how much further I'll go. I might just hook it to the starter and see what happens at this point
If it is an automatic you can get the pan out. Might have to drop the head pipe as well. If you disconnect it behind the cat and at the manifold you can rotate the REAR end to the LEFT side of the car and it will drop clear of the radiator etc. If careful you do not have to disconnect the rear O2 sensor either.

If you do not have the timing chain on and the cam sprocket is not pinned to TDC the valves will not lock the engine, they bend very easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #22
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

FYI plastigauge has been repeatedly demonstrated to be quite inaccurate. Direct measurement is required for accuracy.

The pan can also be removed if a manual trans but you will have to buy a new one as the rear corners will have to be cut/bent to get it out of the flywheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #23
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
FYI plastigauge has been repeatedly demonstrated to be quite inaccurate. Direct measurement is required for accuracy.
Of course, just use as a go /nogo indicator for crank/rod bearings

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #24
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you use a good quality assembly lube and then check for free rotation after each bearing is installed and torqued this eliminates the need for plastigauge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #25
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

If those piston/rings got put in dry, I think a ring has probably broken or otherwise galled to a cylinder wall. If the OP doesn't want to remove the engine and inspect it properly, it is toast. Let it RIP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #26
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I'm betting piston to valve interference.

So if this is a single cam motor you should be able to loosen the caps on top of the cam until all the valves are close.

The down side if this is the case you may have put enough pressure on a valve to bend it. So once in time then put the chain on, tighten the cam caps and run a quick compression test.

Best part it is quick and easy to loosen the caps to check for interference

Highmile
'95 SL1 637k and counting

Last edited by Highmile; 08-26-2017 at 07:25 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #27
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

The OP reported (reply #14) that the rocker-arms aren't in yet; not much chance any valves have hit a piston.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #28
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you use a good quality assembly lube and then check for free rotation after each bearing is installed and torqued this eliminates the need for plastigauge.
THe context I was envisioning was using it as a clearance gauge- measuring the thickness of the squashed Pgauge with a cheap dial indicator after the caps were installed( then removed to access) .
Maybe a piece of grit was trapped under a crank main bearing. Or just wrong thickness.

Or what you suggested, dry/broken rings. I can't imagine going to all that trouble and not using lube on the rings.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #29
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
The OP reported (reply #14) that the rocker-arms aren't in yet; not much chance any valves have hit a piston.
Good catch,,, I guess that leaves just dry rings and( more remote) binding crank/rod bearings.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!