SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
jita1
jita1 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default My First Aura Road Trip

I'm writing this from our hotel room in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. We drove here from Detroit. I am very impressed with the peak Avg MPG of 32.7!
When we hit the hills of West Virginia, it decreased. Going downhill, however was fuel saving paradise as I just coasted along..lol. When we arrived at the hotel, the DIC read 31.5 Avg MPG. That's still awesome to me, considering the car carried two people, a cooler and luggage with the AC on some of the way....

2014 Chevy Impala 2LT, 3.6L, Blue
2014 Chevy Malibu LTZ, Black (wife's ride)

Then:
2008 Saturn Aura XE, 3.5L V6 (Traded in for Impala)
2011 Chevy Cruze 1LT, Gold Mist Metallic (wife's old ride)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jita1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jita1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Tom-ADC
Tom-ADC is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: My First Aura Road Trip

We are thinking of doing the San Diego to Detroit actually Wyandotte early fall but the gas prices have us thinking we should fly...

2007 Aura XE 3.5
1969 Dodge Dart GT
1971 Dodge D-100 shortbed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom-ADC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom-ADC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom-ADC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
We are thinking of doing the San Diego to Detroit actually Wyandotte early fall but the gas prices have us thinking we should fly...
It'll cost you between 850 - 1000 for air fare for two. Calculate R/T miles at ~30 MPG @ $4.00/gal and see which cost's less. Air Fares are going up every other day because Jet Fuel is costing more and more. Several Air lines are now charging for baggage by the pound or bag above one carry-on. And if you fly will you need a rental car?

I just went through this a few months ago and for one person and no rental car, cheaper to fly. For two of us with 4 bags plus carry one, cheaper to drive by a long-shot.

Enjoy SOCal, I sure do...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

jita1, welcome to Winston-Salem! I live here with my '07 Aura XR. If you should need any Saturn expertise, check Saturn of Winston-Salem at Stratford Road and Healy Drive. I've had three road trips from here, one to Dallas and two to the DC area and always average 68-70 mph and 29 to 30 mpg. It's a great car! Safe travels.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
jita1

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
jita1, welcome to Winston-Salem! I live here with my '07 Aura XR. If you should need any Saturn expertise, check Saturn of Winston-Salem at Stratford Road and Healy Drive. I've had three road trips from here, one to Dallas and two to the DC area and always average 68-70 mph and 29 to 30 mpg. It's a great car! Safe travels.
Thanks for the welcome, billwill. Wow, what a beautiful part of the country this is. We hooked up with my brother in-law who works for Saturn/GM. He didn't know that I had purchased the Aura. He was pleasantly surprised. We talked for a long time about cars and stuff...

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jita1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
jita1

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
Wow, that's a heck of a trip. How long do you think it would take? I was just telling my wife that it would probably take a week to drive from Detroit to Cali....

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jita1 View Post
Wow, that's a heck of a trip. How long do you think it would take? I was just telling my wife that it would probably take a week to drive from Detroit to Cali....
3-4 days
I have driven form SF to Orlando in 4 days and LA to Chicago in 3 days.
Thats stopping for every meal and 8 + hours in motels every night. SO 4 days should be easy (each way of course) But look at all you get to see along the way that you miss from 39,000 ft.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
jita1

2008 AURA XE

That's not bad at all. We talked about traveling to Long Beach to visit a friend next year. I hadn't really considered driving but that may be the way to go...

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
buffmaloney
buffmaloney is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
3-4 days
I have driven form SF to Orlando in 4 days and LA to Chicago in 3 days.
Thats stopping for every meal and 8 + hours in motels every night. SO 4 days should be easy (each way of course) But look at all you get to see along the way that you miss from 39,000 ft.
Reason enough to drive.

2008 Red Jewel XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buffmaloney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buffmaloney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buffmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #10
Tom-ADC
Tom-ADC is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Sedan
Post Re: My First Aura Road Trip

We're a little older now actually one reason for the trip is we are expecting a new great granddaughter in mid July, any way we don't drive much after dark anymore get up early and pull in early maybe 10-11 hours a day, its 2400 miles so for us 4-5 days, in 163 we made the trip from Detroit to here and it took 3 days but we really pushed it.
I hate to think if we'd made this trip right after we bought the car it would have needed warrenty work before we made the drive back.
On top of driving to MI our youngest daughter lives in Gulfport Miss. and we want to drive for MI to MS then back to here

2007 Aura XE 3.5
1969 Dodge Dart GT
1971 Dodge D-100 shortbed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom-ADC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom-ADC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom-ADC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
sherwool
sherwool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jita1 View Post
I'm writing this from our hotel room in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. We drove here from Detroit. I am very impressed with the peak Avg MPG of 32.7! ......
Well I'm impressed, and I think that's the best I've read on 'fans about the Aura's gas mileage. Do you know the average for your trip from Detroit to W-S? You kept to the speed limit all the way, right (except maybe when coasting down the WV hills)? By way of comparison, I recently measured 31.4 mpg in a 2007 Honda Accord VP with a 4 cylinder, driving on flat terrain [one child, mixture of highway and suburban, and generally keeping a light foot and no more than 62 mph]. I'm almost certain I'd rather go up the hills of WV in a six cylinder than a four.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sherwool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sherwool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sherwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 AM   #12
jita1

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwool View Post
Well I'm impressed, and I think that's the best I've read on 'fans about the Aura's gas mileage. Do you know the average for your trip from Detroit to W-S? You kept to the speed limit all the way, right (except maybe when coasting down the WV hills)? By way of comparison, I recently measured 31.4 mpg in a 2007 Honda Accord VP with a 4 cylinder, driving on flat terrain [one child, mixture of highway and suburban, and generally keeping a light foot and no more than 62 mph]. I'm almost certain I'd rather go up the hills of WV in a six cylinder than a four.
Oh yes, I kept to the speed limit most of the way,(between 55 and 70) with the cruise control on. We ended up at around 31.5 avg mpg from Detroit to Winston-Salem. We drove around town and I didn't reset the DIC and we still ended up with 30.7 avg mpg for the journey back to Detroit. That's pretty good and I was a bit heavier on the throttle going home...

Then:

Last edited by jita1; 05-20-2008 at 07:20 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!