SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Fallguy
Fallguy is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Can Someone take a Look and Compare Brake Lines

Doing front brake lines this weekend. In preperation the last few days (spraying wd40) I have noticed something different from one side to the the other.

Where the rubber lines connect to the metal lines under each fender they are retained in place from moving by a "u clip" that slides over the hoses to keep them in place under the fender well.

(1.) on the passenger side the u clip appears to be slid on without the mouth of the u clip being spread much (appears kosher to me).

(2.) on the driver side the u clip is slid on but the mouth of the u clip is spread open much wider (say 3/8 to 1/2").

Is somone has the time take a peak at yours and let me know if you see the same thing. I will investigate carefully whey I do the job but this just seems odd for now but will likely change when I get into it or maybe someone has fooled with the brakes before and put the driver side clip on wrong?

Thanks, (would post picture but not around camera or veh, hope explained well enough).

Note vehicle may have had some body damage on the driver side in the past, maybe body shop had to replace a brake hose and did not put the clip back on corectly.

If I have to replace the clip are these universal from the parts house for most all vehicles or specific and what are the clips called (brake line hose clips).

Thanks again

Last edited by Fallguy; 08-07-2009 at 11:59 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fallguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fallguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Spaz
Advanced Member
Spaz will become famous soon enoughSpaz will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
Default Re: Can Someone take a Look and Compare Brake Lines

My first post in this forum was related to that. I noticed that the left front (driver's) brake line fitting was bigger than the right front. The left front fitting required a 14mm wrench while the right front needed a 12mm wrench. I think the difference in sizes are what's accounting for what you're seeing. The size difference is from the factory. The consensus was that it's that way so the left and right side hoses don't get mixed up.

Last edited by Spaz; 08-07-2009 at 01:26 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Don't know whether or not you're aware of this but, having the brake hose looped incorrectly is a common issue when changing the front brake hoses. If it's looped incorrectly, it results in the tire rubbing against the hose, which isn't a good thing. Just thought I'd mention it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Might as well point him at the thread...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141586

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Might as well point him at the thread...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141586
Thanks for that OldNuc! I'm a little technologically impaired.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It can be a bit tricky.
You can find them by going to your profile and selecting the statistics tab and then select find all posts or threads. You get to that profile page by clicking on your name in a post. There are other ways but that is the fastest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
It can be a bit tricky.
You can find them by going to your profile and selecting the statistics tab and then select find all posts or threads. You get to that profile page by clicking on your name in a post. There are other ways but that is the fastest.
Thanks for that OldNuc! I can usually find other posts. The thing I don't know how to do is creating a link to another post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Old 08-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Go to the thread in question that contains teh post you are interested in and copy the info in the browser address bar and then look in the upper right hand of the exact post in question. Paste the thread address that you copied and tell what post you are referring to by number. the other approach is to do an advanced search which will bring up a single post if you set the search narrow enough and then you can just copy that URL as it will have the post number in the URL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Thanks again OldNuc. You're always so helpful (and patient.) I'll give it a try the next time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation