SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
SL2-Guy
SL2-Guy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default HID kit

Does anybody know the legal limt for xenon headlights in AZ? I like the
12000K kit but i don't know if there street legal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2-Guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2-Guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
dream36realms
Advanced Member
dream36realms is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Re: HID kit

not so much of a "legal" limit, it is basicly a dropin thing. If you get those dropins like I have then yes they probably are illegal. If you get the full deal then they are most likely fine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dream36realms's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dream36realms reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dream36realms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
BigSho
BigSho will become famous soon enough

1998 SL

if your car doesn't come with HID stock...and you put in a drop in kit it is illegal.

If your car does have OEM hid....and you change the bulb color to anything other than 4300k its illegal.

There is a reason that 4300k is the only legal color. It is white and provides the most lumens (3200 lumens)

If you are wondering why you see bmw's, acura's, mercedes, etc...with flickering blue lights...its because of the properties of the projectors. The HID projectors control the flow of the lighting using a cutoff shield. When light bends over the shield it changes colors.

Here is my 1998 saturn SL with ACURA TSX projectors, custom clear lense, Phillips 4300k HID d2s bulbs, and Valeo audi ballasts.
this is what my headlights look like

this is the pattern against a wall (see how there is no glare....a very controlled pattern...you cant do this with the stock saturn lights)

this here is why you see blue flickering (due to light bending over the cutoff/glare controlling shield inside the projector)

here is what it looks like when you are coming right at me ( no glare )

here is what it looks like if i hit a bump or am going up hill and coming at you ( instead of getting blinded by all the light from the HID...you see the color in the cutoff instead)

and here is what you see when driving (the cutoff really isn't that close to the car, my car was on a downward slant)

some color

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigSho's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigSho reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
SL2-Guy
SL2-Guy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSho View Post
if your car doesn't come with HID stock...and you put in a drop in kit it is illegal.

If your car does have OEM hid....and you change the bulb color to anything other than 4300k its illegal.

There is a reason that 4300k is the only legal color. It is white and provides the most lumens (3200 lumens)

If you are wondering why you see bmw's, acura's, mercedes, etc...with flickering blue lights...its because of the properties of the projectors. The HID projectors control the flow of the lighting using a cutoff shield. When light bends over the shield it changes colors.

Here is my 1998 saturn SL with ACURA TSX projectors, custom clear lense, Phillips 4300k HID d2s bulbs, and Valeo audi ballasts.
this is what my headlights look like

this is the pattern against a wall (see how there is no glare....a very controlled pattern...you cant do this with the stock saturn lights)

this here is why you see blue flickering (due to light bending over the cutoff/glare controlling shield inside the projector)

here is what it looks like when you are coming right at me ( no glare )

here is what it looks like if i hit a bump or am going up hill and coming at you ( instead of getting blinded by all the light from the HID...you see the color in the cutoff instead)

and here is what you see when driving (the cutoff really isn't that close to the car, my car was on a downward slant)

some color
I had no idea the dropins were illegal... The headlights assembly you have looks really nice is that pretty easy to do? If so can you give me some steps on how to do it? im sort of beginner when it comes to buliding things

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2-Guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2-Guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote