SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center

Old 05-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Why is this website always down with maintance?

I notice that this website is always down with maintance like everyday when I go to the forums..I am on many other forums and they don't have alot of maintance as this website does..
92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2007, 01:57 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Why is this website always down with maintance?

Did you read the RED BOLDED NOTICE on the home page, under the advertisements? There's a lot more going on in this site (the greater the ads the larger the viewing circle) than compared to the others. I would imagine more complexity running this large database and simple human error inconvenienced all of us using a free service that we all enjoy and use with total freedom. The free exchange of valuable information, pictures, and past history along with the greatest self-regulating forum enables the largest participation possible while either discouraging profanity, uncalled for remarks, or banning of unruly posters. An excellent example of democracy within the Saturnfans community. Unfortunately I haven't experienced this same activity on other forums with the same degree of perspective in flexibility as Saturnfans affords. The greater complexity of this site invites the risk of increased failure as the cost of running a forum second to none. To err is human, to forgive is devine............another example of the bumpy road to success.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Greenhornet
Greenhornet will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Dizzy Re: Why is this website always down with maintance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick33 View Post
I notice that this website is always down with maintance like everyday when I go to the forums..I am on many other forums and they don't have alot of maintance as this website does..

Humbug, maintence indeed. BAH, damned colonials. I wager you complain about having to pay The Crown's
tea taxes as well. Next you'll demand representation in parliment, I suppose. Well me proud yankee malcontent, stick a feather in your cap and call it macaroni. HA, ha ha
Greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
SaturnPlanet
SaturnPlanet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet View Post

Humbug, maintence indeed. BAH, damned colonials. I wager you complain about having to pay The Crown's
tea taxes as well. Next you'll demand representation in parliment, I suppose. Well me proud yankee malcontent, stick a feather in your cap and call it macaroni. HA, ha ha
.....lol...I think? I don't know what to think.

but anyway, I think all the whining cause the server to run slowly. we need some positive vibes around here (like in Ghostbusters II, if they can make the statue of liberty walk, we can make SF run better!)
We know more about what is less than ourselves, and less about what is more than ourselves.
SaturnPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Greenhornet
Greenhornet will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Devil Re: Why is this website always down with maintance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnPlanet View Post
.....lol...I think? I don't know what to think.

but anyway, I think all the whining cause the server to run slowly. we need some positive vibes around here (like in Ghostbusters II, if they can make the statue of liberty walk, we can make SF run better!)

Think, what is a think? Oh, sorry, my roomie just told what he thunked it is, But I thumked he's wrong.

When I was going for my doctorate I have a vague memory of my professor telling me to "think'. But I forgot. I thimked.

Saturn Fans is a wonderful site for Saturn devotees. Sad to say some are here to malign GM and Saturn and some are unhappy, negative people.

I don't like that but this is the United States of America and we have a wonderful
Constitution and a Bill of Rights, [or a least we used to] before the current administration, so say whatever you wish while we are still a free country,
Greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Do you mean maintenance?

As a longtime member of this board and also someone who has worked with computers since the 1970s, my overall impression is that the reliability availability and service of Saturnfans.com is very high. Considering the fact that the very significant service (based on a very large number of active users) is provided free I think the proprietor does a fine job. (And this is just the technical part of what he does, this is the best managed bulletin board in terms of content, and what is sometimes called "Netiquette" that I am aware of on any subject, and I have participated on dozens of BBSes and Listservs on topics from IT to HVAC and autos for years (since well before the WWW or Internet was widely known).

If you would like to learn more about the technical issues behind the scenes, here are some places you could start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_maintenance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system
100KSW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant future

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Happy Re: Why is this website always down with maintance?

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the kudos and for the questions. This new server has been fully operational for about 1 week, and from what I can tell its been smooth sailing. I will still need to take the site offline occasionally to perform routine maintenance and software updates, but the larger server should eliminate the heavy load problems and allow me to schedule maintenance work during the overnight hours.

Thanks for hanging in there, and as always, thanks for your support!
Charlie
2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the kudos and for the questions. This new server has been fully operational for about 1 week, and from what I can tell its been smooth sailing. I will still need to take the site offline occasionally to perform routine maintenance and software updates, but the larger server should eliminate the heavy load problems and allow me to schedule maintenance work during the overnight hours.

Thanks for hanging in there, and as always, thanks for your support!
Charlie
Well thank YOU for all the work.
1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

Umm, not that I'm in favor of whining, but in all the years I have been visiting various boards, this has by far been the absolute worse in terms of reliability, at least for the last year or so (it didn't used to be that way, and as you can see by my join date, I've been here a long time). I know people don't want to offend Charlie so they pass it off as nothing or pretend it doesn't happen, but this place has a LOT of downtime. That being said, it seems to be working fine on the new server now that the kinks are worked out.

This site is free to use, but come on, money is changing hands. Count the ads
erick295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

I am sorry that your subjective impression of Saturnfans service does not match my subjective impression. Maybe J.D. Power will start an Internet service measurement division and provide us with some hard data.

When you are comparing service levels do you take into account that this board is far larger and busier than average (in terms of number of posts, and number of both registered and active users)? The popularity of this board speaks a lot about the quality of the content and the service provided, without charge to users like you and I. It also significantly increases the workload for the owner administrator!

I have seen much smaller boards with a handful of members that were always down. Like any new effort, most boards are un-successful. I wish Saturn Corporation had grown as fast as Saturnfans has in the past decade, and Saturn Corporation has far more resources available.

As an IT professional of several decades I can only think of what my mentor told me on my first day as a computer systems administrator, "Everything is easy when you don't know anything".
100KSW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

Okay, if you want to play the "look at me, I'm a professional!" card, then you should know that I've been a Web developer/designer for more than ten years... sorry that I'm not a gifted genius like you, but I think I'm beyond "don't know anything"

500-1000 users is nothing, honestly, and if you work in IT I don't know why you don't realize that. Most large boards (and sites in general, for that matter) have thousands more, but hardly ever go down because they're running on servers that can handle the traffic. I hope you don't use the "this place is busy!" excuse when your employer's networks go down. No real business will tolerate the kind of downtime this place used to have, and if you just accept that without concern on the basis that this place is a good place for information, then I sure wouldn't hire you.

Sorry for the attack, but you asked for it
erick295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:27 AM   #12
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

I don't think it's down that much compared to the traffic and all. I've been on forums on those easy to setup free ones hosted on a random server that were down more often. Of course a forum operated by a huge company like say if IBM has one for technical support would probably be down less often, but think about how many backup servers and techs they have to run the site.
R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #13
WarnsVue06
WarnsVue06 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE

I have lost my email subscriptions again. What is the deal with this? Anybody know? I have the whole VUE forum, but have not gotten anything for awhile now.
---------------
2006 VUE AWD - "Laser Blue"

Mods to come.
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/sam2004gp/Saturn/
WarnsVue06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:07 AM   #14
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant future

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Information Re: Why is this website always down with maintance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnsVue06 View Post
I have lost my email subscriptions again. What is the deal with this? Anybody know? I have the whole VUE forum, but have not gotten anything for awhile now.
There's an issue with a reverse DNS setting that is causing email issues with some Internet service providers. I still get email updates through my provider, which is why I didn't catch the error until it was reported. My host will be making the changes soon and that should clear up the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Charlie
2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)
Old 06-09-2007, 06:24 AM   #15
Charlie
Administrator

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Down Re: Why is this website always down with maintance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Okay, if you want to play the "look at me, I'm a professional!" card, then you should know that I've been a Web developer/designer for more than ten years... sorry that I'm not a gifted genius like you, but I think I'm beyond "don't know anything"

500-1000 users is nothing, honestly, and if you work in IT I don't know why you don't realize that. Most large boards (and sites in general, for that matter) have thousands more, but hardly ever go down because they're running on servers that can handle the traffic. I hope you don't use the "this place is busy!" excuse when your employer's networks go down. No real business will tolerate the kind of downtime this place used to have, and if you just accept that without concern on the basis that this place is a good place for information, then I sure wouldn't hire you.

Sorry for the attack, but you asked for it
I'm sorry for all the problems the old server caused, but there's no need to get upset at other members who defend how the site is run. That's rude and inappropriate. SaturnFans.com has always been a hobby for me, and I do the best I can to keep it running in the best shape I can. I'm by no means an IT expert (I don't work in the IT field), and I'm sure it shows in how I do things around here. Having multiple, load balanced servers that would allow me to take one offline for maintenance while the other stayed up to serve users would be awesome, but unfortunately, this is a hobby and funding is limited. I can't afford to lose money month-after-month-after-month. I think my wife is extremely understanding when it comes to my obsession with Saturn, but I don't think she would be too happy if I spent our life savings to support this site.

So far I've been fortunate that as traffic increases and my costs go up, so does the revenue from the ads you see displayed here. I cover my costs with the ads and love sharing my enthusiasm for Saturn, so at the end of the day I'm happy. I hate taking the server offline for maintenance and I try to do it "after hours" to have a minimal impact on you guys, but sometimes my schedule does not permit that level of flexibility.

I've love to say that someday I'd have a full staff of folks running a SaturnFans server farm from a island in the Caribbean, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Thanks again for everyone's support and patience,
Charlie
2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)
Old 06-09-2007, 06:36 AM   #16
NevadaMatt
NevadaMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2006 VUE 2.4L

Geez..It always amazes me what people will complain about. Where cars are made,Panel Gaps,and,of course,the dreaded Door Panels. I am confident Charlie doesn't slack.And there is not a Saturn Web Site that comes close to this one..For all the whining,*****ing and griping,the quality and sincerity of the posters here has been invaluable to me thru 6 years and 4 Saturns,and the site is unique and well maintained.Go Charlie..So what if it goes down sometime..It ain't "Flight for Life"..Now lets all have a swell day!!!
NevadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #17
Charlie
Administrator

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Up Re: Why is this website always down with maintance?

Quote:
There's an issue with a reverse DNS setting that is causing email issues with some Internet service providers. I still get email updates through my provider, which is why I didn't catch the error until it was reported. My host will be making the changes soon and that should clear up the problem.

Charlie
The time stamp issue should be fixed now.

Thanks again for everyone's kind words and support,
Charlie
2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)
Old 06-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #18
sparkynsmoke
sparkynsmoke is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
2005 RELAY-2
Post Re: Why is this website always down with maintance?

Charlie,
Thanks for the wonderful job you've done in maintaining and upgrading the site. I'd also like to thank you for the pix of the new Vue and Astra. Do you know when these cars are going to hit the showrooms? While these cars are a wee bit small for my family (I have a 95 SL2 and am eyeing a 2nd SW), I'm wondering if the new Vue will offer a bit more room, will be offered as a hybrid and boy do I love the Aura and Outlook (having a Caddy without the high $$).
So thanks for eveything, it's appreciated.
1995 SL2 - Sparky- (234K+)
1997 SW2 - Smoke- (64,817) RIP my little boy
2004 Chevy Cavalier - Gordy- (103K+)
2005 Relay 2 - Swoop or Smoke II- (48K+)
sparkynsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #19
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Way to go Charlie !
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #20
WarnsVue06
WarnsVue06 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE

Quote:

Charlie
OK thanks Charlie, I did get the email notice about your reply, so there seems to be at the least a little light at the end of the tunnel.
---------------
2006 VUE AWD - "Laser Blue"

Mods to come.
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/sam2004gp/Saturn/
WarnsVue06 is offline   Reply With Quote