saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
RicSC2
RicSC2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Power window problem

2000 SL2, auto. Driver's side power window motor was replaced with new one in Feb 2007; also put in different regulator from bone yard. Window operated fine. Now 3 months later, window won't go down. Pulled door skin and interior door panel. No binding or anything. Pulled motor and measured voltage at connector. 12.4 VDC up and -11.84 VDC down. Took motor back to Advanced Auto and they replaced it under warranty. Installed new motor. Tested it before bolting up to regulator. Motor will work when window switch is pulled up but will not work when switch is pushed down. Checked voltage again and still getting same readings as above. Checked used window motor I had from previous boneyard trip. It was working fine when I bought it as I tested it. Same problem as with new motor. Will operate when switch is pulled up but no luck when it is pushed down (motor is hanging free and was not bolted up to regulator).
Since I am getting -11.84 VDC down voltage, could it still be the switch? I took switch out of console but could not figure out how to get to the contacts. Older Saturns have 4 screws in the bottom of the switch. This one appears sealed. Can you take apart a 2000 window switch? Or are they sealed and throw aways? I blew some compressed air around it to try to clean it, but no change in operation.
I am perplexed. Can't believe it is the motor after trying 2 or 3 motors including a new one. And it appears I am getting ALMOST full voltage to the motor connector. Could the loss of basically .5 VDC be enough to not start the motor? I want to clean the contacts but can figure out how to get to them. Help!!
RicSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
RicSC2

2000 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Power window problem

Attached are a couple of pics of the master window switch. Does anybody know if this can be taken apart to clean the switch contacts?
I'm also going to rig up a couple of alligator clip test leads and test the window motor direct from a 12v battery. It's the only way I know of determining if the problem is in the motor or switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0569 (Small).JPG (58.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0571 (Small).JPG (61.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-12-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
RicSC2

2000 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicSC2 View Post
Attached are a couple of pics of the master window switch. Does anybody know if this can be taken apart to clean the switch contacts?
I'm also going to rig up a couple of alligator clip test leads and test the window motor direct from a 12v battery. It's the only way I know of determining if the problem is in the motor or switch.
Hooked up test leads direct to power window motor from extra 12v car battery I have. Motor works in both directions (had to reverse the test leads in order for window motor to reverse direction). So despite the earlier voltage readings it looks like my switch is bad. Since I can't seem to get the master switch apart I'm searching for a new switch.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
RicSC2

2000 SL2
1995 SC2

I took a chance and purchased a master switch for the power windows...it has switches that power all windows and the two side mirrors. $105 at the local Saturn dealer. The drivers window now operates correctly up and down. Although I was getting voltage in the down position from the old switch, it must have not been enough to power the window down. This was a strange one!!!