SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Bentley8
Bentley8 has a spectacular aura aboutBentley8 has a spectacular aura aboutBentley8 has a spectacular aura about

Default 99 SL2 Intermittent Starting problem

I know everyone is thinking, "Ugh, not an intermittent problem, those suck", but here I am.

99 Saturn SL2. Manual. ~170,000 miles.

Every now and then the car will not start. Cranks with no issue, but will not catch. This first time happened about a year ago. When it happens, if I just wait a minute or two and try again, it will start up fine and run fine. The problem would return again say a month or two later. Usually it would start within a couple of minutes of trying. That is, until yesterday, when I tried for 20 minutes and it just wouldn't start. I wasn't constantly cranking, just trying to crank for a few seconds every minute or so. I didn't want to be too late to work so I just used my spare Saturn and drove to work. When I got home yesterday afternoon the car started perfectly on the first try. Ugh.

Yesterday morning I did check what I could in the short time I had. No codes. Fuel getting to the fuel rail. No fuses blown. Air intake not plugged.

The non-starting issue occurs when the car is either hot or cold, recently driven, or sitting overnight. Hot outside temperature or very cold. Full tank, empty tank. Battery and EGR valve have been changed since this started, but it made no difference. ECTS replaced with brass years ago. No other chronic issues with the car except for typical high oil consumption.

At this point, I just don't trust the car. A 2-minute delay is acceptable, but I could see myself being stranded for hours. Not good.

I don't have the money or time to throw parts at the problem.

Any ideas?
1999 Saturn SL2 -- 2000 Saturn SW2 -- 2001 Saturn SC1
Bentley8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links