SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
93SC2'in
93SC2'in is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Dizzy blew upper rad hose now runs cooler?

this is on the 95 sl2 btw 175k

ok so the other night my upper radiator hose burst a nice 3 inch long split right at the bend next to the outlet on the head ..

anyway as far as i know its the original 95 hose so i can't complain and i did notice it starting to balloon a bit where it split so i knew it was coming rescue tape and some coolant i kept in the trunk got me home..

up until that point my car would heat up to 3/4 and kick on the cooling fan fairly quickly at an idle in traffic or moving slowly since it doesn't have the air dam. now after replacing that hose i have noticed it rarely will go above the little above 3/8ths mark unless im idling for an extended period of time. would an old about to fail hose cause it to run hotter?

the coolant that was in the car was a proper 50/50 it was less than 10k old new thermostat and new ects at the same time and the water pump has less than 5k on it.
93 SC2, 5-speed, <dead and gone>
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Speed Kills - save lives, Drive a honda
93SC2'in is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: blew upper rad hose now runs cooler?

Ok, you asked for it.............http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/aboyle.html. Pressure, temperature, and volume. Go figure.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Hows that work?

Coming out of the head, the coolant has V1, P1, and T1. Going into the bubble, V1 decreases to V2, P1 increases to P2 and T1 im assuming increases to T2 since the only way that this bubble causes a decrease in cooling performance is if its causing the coolant to evaporate after it leaves the bubble, decreasing in pressure once its back into the regular diameter of the hose.

*edit, where V is velocity
'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.

Last edited by AlexofNazareth; 04-02-2012 at 05:27 PM.
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ahhhhh, rocket science..........................not. Just physics. You do the analyzing. I'm done...............

Oh and there's no velocity going on here. This is a plain jane cooling system. Trying to inject velocity becomes a real engineering exercise.

When volume changes......................
VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 04-02-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

To be more specific, its fluid mechanics, and assuming an incompressible fluid at steady state, Boyles law has nothing to do with any property of the fluid.

Like before, any increase in volume causes:
1)Decreased Velocity
2) Increased pressure

i.e. the venturi effect.

and when it goes back into the regular diameter of the hose,

1)Pressure decreases
2)Velocity increases

I only know theoretical fluid mechanics, so what really causes the evaporation of the coolant?

*edit

called a friend. It slows the coolant flow down enough to inhibit cooling. Theres no evaporation.
'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As I said, you do the math. Fluid mechanics? Its still a low level cooling system with an old hose, maybe more than one. Use the facts given to you and let go of the strangle hold on the text book study and correlate facts with what you think you know. I'm not doubting what you know but square pegs don't fit into round holes. Temperature, pressure, and variable volume. Its all there. Nothing new to invent. Just some thinking. Not too much. Just some.
VCX NANO
Old 04-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
93SC2'in

1993 SC2

I would be surprised if the small area of the hose that was a little swelled, I suppose "ballooned" was a little exaggerated could cause that much of a difference in operating temps.

But if the hose was seeping a bit or releasing pressure it would reduce the boiling point and possibly causing the increase in temps? lol i'm no rocket scientist, So i'm just guessing no need to get too technical or into a heated debate or argument.
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

My old '93 SL2 ran cooler after I 5spd swapped it (had a super fancy 0spd automagic) and removed A/C at the same time. Still got what I thought was great mileage at the time so I didn't think to much about it.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #9
93SC2'in

1993 SC2

well obviously, If it was a complete a/c removal you took out the condenser and that improved the flow to the radiator so that would probably explain your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
My old '93 SL2 ran cooler after I 5spd swapped it (had a super fancy 0spd automagic) and removed A/C at the same time. Still got what I thought was great mileage at the time so I didn't think to much about it.
---------------