SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Lodogg2221
Lodogg2221 is on a distinguished road

Default Squeak after new pads/rotors?

Hi guys.
Finally replaced my pads and rotors, got Hawk pads from eBay and Raybestos rotors from Rock Auto.
Anyway, everything went as usual, no issues, but between about 6-7mph and zero, I have a squeak/squeal, braking or just coasting, and I am wondering where I should be looking to solve the problem.

I did take the stainless clip out and clean it, as it had a lot of buildup on it.
I also greased the contact points on the pads to the caliper...

Ive done a LOT of brakes in my time, but never had this type of noise before...the only other squeal Ive had is under braking only, usually caused by dust build up or similar. Thats why I cleaned these so well, trying to avoid any problems...but maybe I created one.

Ideas?
96 SW2 5-Speed 140K
Lodogg2221 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Lodogg2221

Default Re: Squeak after new pads/rotors?

No ideas huh?

Well, Im going to look into it today and clean/grease all the parts again. Might have missed something the first time.
96 SW2 5-Speed 140K
Old 05-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

You can try spraying some "Brake Quiet" on the backs of the pads - sometimes it helps. It or something similar should be available at any parts store in an aerosol can.
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Did you replace the pad springs? There are 2 per side.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Lodogg2221

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
No, I didnt. I never have before, but we all know that doesnt mean much other than maybe Ive been lucky.
Are they supposed to be replaced?

I think Ive only owned 1 or 2 other vehicles that had them, so not much experience with those. I assume they are the stainless steel formed pieces that clip onto the caliper that the pads actually ride on, is that correct?
96 SW2 5-Speed 140K
Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I am going to look at my car today for this same type of issue.

How often do the pad springs need replacing? I did not do it when I did my brakes about 30k miles ago and now I have the same symptoms as the poster here. That is, during either braking or coasting with foot off the brake.

I am guessing the springs are available at any parts store right? (I don''t see them on rockauto but on the other hand I probably don't know where to look)
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Lodogg2221

The FSM calls them Pad Clips.
I cant locate them online thru any of the LAPS...

The manual (now that I finally looked at it) does say that they should be cleaned well, as well as the caliper bracket where they ride, and should have grease behind them, as well as the points where the pads touch.

Im going to give that a shot in a bit and Ill report back...hopefully I can get it done today, but it might be tomorrow.

Under edit:
I lied...Advance Auto Parts shows them on their site...part numbers:
5441A for the front...$18.49.
Might wait and pick those up in the morning then go thru it an grease everything thats supposed to be greased.
96 SW2 5-Speed 140K
Old 05-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
ehunter

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Thanks for the tips. I will report back as well.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Lodogg2221

Well, not sure why I couldnt find it before, but Oreilly Auto Parts also shows it.
Look under brake hardware. No amount of word play searching produced these clips...but at Oreilly, if you have one close, they are only 3.99 for what appears to be all 4 clips. Much better price!
96 SW2 5-Speed 140K
Old 05-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes. The high quality pad sets contain 4 of those springs, 2 per side. They tend to damp the pad vibrations when the pad hits the rotor.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I just buy pads that come with 4 new clips. If you buy ceramic pads the old clips are shot anyway. If you grease them use a real brake grease or Syl-Glide which is also a brake grease and use very little or you will just make things worse. I do not grease them and they work fine just as they come out of the box.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
ehunter

1996 SL2

From what I can tell, this is what you guys are talking about right? I want to make sure before I run down and buy them...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0265&ppt=C0064
Old 05-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Nope, those are for drum brakes. See picture.
WAGNER Part # SG507Q
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg getimage.php.jpeg (15.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
ehunter

1996 SL2

O'reilly nor Napa stocks the parts in my area. Both said two day wait.

Its embarrassing driving around with this squeal so I splurged on the Raybestos equivalent costing me $12.

It's 5pm now... I guess I will go out and do it now.... :-)
Old 05-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The Raybestos set may be the more sophisticated type of spring. While the pads are out sand a slight bevel on both ends of the pads. I have seen some pads and rotors that just make noise, its a feature. I do hope you do not have a set of those.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #16
ehunter

1996 SL2

It was tough removing the two bolts to get the pads. I had to put the pipe extension over the ratchet to muscle it off... which brings up the next question.

For assembly, what should the bolts be torqued down to?

Observation: the outside pad is worn much more than the inside. Should I worry about this? Can I balance things out by swapping with the pads maybe from the other wheel or however it can be done to make up a more even usage with the pads?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Your caliper is sticking. I usually replace those pins and boots when I do the brakes. Lube pins with a silicone brake grease.

Torque is 27ft-lb, and I put a bit of antiseize on those threads.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #18
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodogg2221 View Post
Hi guys.
Finally replaced my pads and rotors, got Hawk pads from eBay and Raybestos rotors from Rock Auto.
Anyway, everything went as usual, no issues, but between about 6-7mph and zero, I have a squeak/squeal, braking or just coasting, and I am wondering where I should be looking to solve the problem.
Ideas?
Did you get Hawk HPS pads? Did you follow the bed-in instructions?

After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #19
ehunter

1996 SL2

Thanks OldNuc

My problem was simple.

The outside pads are worn out causing the warning spring to make its sound. I would have never thought it. These pads were not very old at all. I know they were cheap though.

Is the lack of pin lubing what causes the caliper to stick?

Just for now I swapped sides with the pads to buy me some more time until I get my new brakes ordered.

Do you have a preferred pad you buy that would last me longer than the cheapies? I am not sure mine were ceramics or not... I see at least Eric likes the hawk pads except I don't see those on Rockauto...
Old 05-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #20
Lodogg2221

Man, I missed a lot of replies!

OldNuc, it was the clips, or lack of grease under them.
I replaced the clips, purchased them at Autozone, who had them in stock, though I couldnt find them on their site.
Anyway, when I installed them, I took the advice of the FSM and put grease where the clip contacts the bracket and greased all the contact points of the pads, and no more squeak.

eRic, yes, HPS pads.
I did follow the bed in instructions, but yours arent quite right from what Ive read. Well, they could work fine, but I didnt see that particular set of instructions anywhere when I was looking.
After a few stops to get a bit of heat in the rotors/pads, from 35-45, perform 9-10 stops, hard, from 60, at the threshold of ABS, and quickly accelerate back to 60 and repeat. After the last, drive a couple miles without sitting stopped.

Worked like a charm. Rotors turned a nice blue, transferred pad material on there too, and the pedal is nice and firm. And man will it stop!
96 SW2 5-Speed 140K