SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 10-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #1
Kaervak
Kaervak has a spectacular aura aboutKaervak has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
Default PSA: Check your lugnuts

I'm sure a lot of us check our tire pressures on a regular basis, however I'm sure quite a few of us don't check our lugnuts. While checking my tire pressures today, I noticed that three of the fake lugnuts were loose. Took of the cap and three of the lugnuts were so loose I could spin them by hand. Check your lugnuts with your tire pressure checks.
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
2ndSCowner
2ndSCowner is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1994 SL2
Default Re: PSA: Check your lugnuts

Hmm, keep an eye on things. If the lug nuts are lose you may have some issues. I had issues with my Cutlass Supreme when I first got it. I wound up having to replace the wheel studs as they kept loosening up.

Good tip though.
2ndSCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
ςατμяη gμψ
ςατμяη gμψ is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Dizzy Re: PSA: Check your lugnuts

Another thing is to check the lugnut covers... they have a way of falling off. At $4 a pop, they can get expensive. I'm thinking about just replacing mine with some aftermarket crome lugnuts and keeping the plastic caps just in case i want to return to the stock look.
AEM Short Ram Intake
Disabled DRLs
Cleaned Throttle Body
New Front Brakes and Rotors
New Spark Plugs and Wires
New Battery
Charged A/C
New Michelin Primacy MXV4 Tires
ςατμяη gμψ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Buy a 12mm x 1.5 tap, run it through the lug nuts once in a while, you will be surprised
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Threads tend to get stretched as you tighten the lugnuts again and again over the life of the car. Eventually they don't match up with the studs too well anymore, or vise versa... Luckily, replacing either is a cheap and relatively simple job.

I've never had a lug nut come loose, but I have had some rust up and refuse to let go as well as get themselves buggered/stretched to the point that they'd come off halfway but not all the way.
'12 Subaru Impreza manual, hatchback, silver.
'99 Chevy Silverado 1500, automatic, with pixel camo. For the [i]discerning[/i] redneck gentleman.
Used to have a '02 SL2 automatic.
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Put antiseize on them. Then they do not stick or rust then. Dry torque is 103ft-lb. If you use the antiseize you should reduce teh torque to 85ft-lb.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Never use oil or grease on studs or wheel nuts. If you do, the wheel nuts might come loose. Your wheel could fall off, causing a serious accident. I make sure mine are clean and dry then torque my OE wheels to 103 ft-lbs and my aftermarket wheels with aftermarket lug nuts to 100 ft-lbs. none have gotten stuck or loosened up. I rotate my wheels and tires on a regular basis so they get re-torqued regularly.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

Last edited by eRic 02sc2; 10-29-2009 at 07:19 PM.
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I know of no one who has ever had a lug nut loosen from the use of antiseize. I know of several large tire shops who use it on every wheel they do. If the nuts were coming off they would not be using it.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

I had a sway bar bracket come unscrewed due to antisieze. I wouldn't trust it on my lugnuts.

I clean them with a wire brush, nuts and studs both. A round brass brush from a gun cleaning kit (one of the calibers you don't use...) seems to be the ticket. Getting the crud out helps them last longer. These days I use closed end acord style nuts. They aren't open to the elements, so they seem not to get crudded up at all.
'99 Chevy Silverado 1500, automatic, with pixel camo. For the [i]discerning[/i] redneck gentleman.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

Can't say I've ever had that issue - esp. as I'm the one who rotates the tires and tightens the lugnuts afterwards. A light coating of never-seize keeps rust from building up - something you'd appreciate if changing a flat tire in the rain.

Chrysler Corp. had a solution for those pesky self-loosening lugnuts forty years ago. They used to have left handed thread wheel studs on the left hand side of the vehicle - then around 1967 realized that nobody else was having an issue with their wheels falling off and changed over to the normal right hand threading for both sides.
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #11
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
Chrysler Corp. had a solution for those pesky self-loosening lugnuts forty years ago. They used to have left handed thread wheel studs on the left hand side of the vehicle - then around 1967 realized that nobody else was having an issue with their wheels falling off and changed over to the normal right hand threading for both sides.
1984 Ford F-250 had LH thread on the driver's side front only...and they were interference fit

I am a fanatic about keeping the mounting surfaces like new and use antisieze and 80 ft-lb on the Sat's lug nuts. Seems tight enough. On anyone else's car, I leave them dry and torque them closer to spec.

The Owner's Manual cautions about rust on the mounting surfaces as it can dust off and cause the wheel will loosen.
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
Can't say I've ever had that issue - esp. as I'm the one who rotates the tires and tightens the lugnuts afterwards. A light coating of never-seize keeps rust from building up - something you'd appreciate if changing a flat tire in the rain.

VW also did this on some of their early vans. Discovering it the fun way, as you say -- in the dark, in the rain, on the side of the freeway -- is no picnic. At least the BS cast lug wrench they gave you wasn't enough to snap the studs. The wrench usually went first.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_DgZ View Post
VW also did this on some of their early vans. Discovering it the fun way, as you say -- in the dark, in the rain, on the side of the freeway -- is no picnic. At least the BS cast lug wrench they gave you wasn't enough to snap the studs. The wrench usually went first.
Discovering it the RIGHT way, reading the owner's manual while sitting inside the bus, sounds much better.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Ill post a picture of what happens when you don't tighten your lug nuts tomorrow. I have the rim at the shop from the '01
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
2ndSCowner
2ndSCowner is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
Ill post a picture of what happens when you don't tighten your lug nuts tomorrow. I have the rim at the shop from the '01
I bet it's not pretty. My friends Expedition had the tire fall off going down the road. It wasn't pretty.
2ndSCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:33 AM   #16
Kaervak
Kaervak has a spectacular aura aboutKaervak has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndSCowner View Post
I bet it's not pretty. My friends Expedition had the tire fall off going down the road. It wasn't pretty.
I've seen it happen on the freeway before. Thankfully I was several dozen car lengths behind the car that the wheel came off of.
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:56 AM   #17
Derek McNelly
Advanced Member
Derek McNelly is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

I noticed that half of the fake lugnuts were missing off my SC2, so I went out and bought a set of locking lugnuts for it. Have to put 'em on tomorrow afternoon. (Air tools will wake the neighbors )

Hopefully I got the right size lugnuts (12x1.5, right?)
Derek McNelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #18
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

I seem to remember that's the size.

Here are some lugnut stories:

I once saw someone drive a Mercury Grand Marquis into my store's paking lot on the rear brake rotor. It was some dottering old guy; I asked him conversationally where he lost the wheel and if he'd like me to call a tow truck, and he honestly had no clue it was gone until I pointed it out to him.

This is especially troubling since the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis are rear wheel drive... I think that thing must have been riding a little funny.

Some time later, another customer came by in a Grand Am who was missing three of five lugnuts on one wheel. Two of the bare studs were stripped from trying to run down a lugnut with the wrong thead. Because if it didn't work, obviously you should try it again on another stud! Their solution to "keep the wheel from coming off?" Several winds of duct tape around each stud. They balked at the dollar-and-change pricetag of a new nut for each stud, and left my parking lot the way they came. (I never did figure out how far they got.)

I was reminded of all this because I parked next to a ricer CRX yesterday that was missing two out of four lugnuts on the front left wheel. It had a very distinctive paint job, so I'm sure I'll recognize him if he ever turns up in a ditch someplace.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #19
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ some scarey stores, man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_DgZ View Post
Their solution to "keep the wheel from coming off?" Several winds of duct tape around each stud.
Wow, and I thought the previous owner's duct-tape "bodywork" on my car was bad.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Classic youtube lug nut video,
At least it was only an Rx7
2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote