Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 06-11-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Default AURA best interior in "Popular-Priced Car"

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto...73.A12442.html

The Best Interior? Check Out Fit, Aura, S80
Ward’s names cars, trucks with best cabins.
by Marty Padgett (2007-06-06)

The best interiors in the automotive realm - according to the readers of Ward's Auto World - have been chosen. And among car companies, the Big Three and Honda have plenty to cheer.

Of the 34 vehicles from 11 different car companies nominated for Ward's "Interior of the Year" award, four were built by the Big Three, another one by an affiliate brand, and two were built by Honda.

Votes were cast by both the Ward's editors and by members of the industry polled at a special Web site, www.autointeriors.com, where more than 1400 professionals cast their ballots.

The winners, according to Ward's, were as follows:

Award Category Ward's Staff Industry At-Large Vote

Economy-Priced Car Honda Fit Dodge Caliber
Popular-Priced Car Saturn Aura Saturn Aura
Premium-Priced Car Volvo S80 Lincoln MKZ
Popular-Priced CUV Honda CRV Saturn Outlook
Premium-Priced CUV Cadillac SRX Cadillac SRX
Popular-Priced Truck Chevy Silverado Chevy Silverado
Premium-Priced Truck Lincoln Navigator Cadillac Escalade

Winners were chosen on the basis of comfort, safety, and design harmony. In smaller categories, the Jeep Wrangler won for Best Brand Expression; the Infiniti G35 for Best Interior Trim; and the Chrysler Sebring for Best Cup Holder.

The Lexus LS 460L won for Best Overall Comfort.
100KSW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
ubiquae
ubiquae is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: AURA best interior in "Popular-Priced Car"

Best Cup-holder... I recognize that cupholders are important in a vehicle's interior, but c'mon an F#%&$*g award? Did Chrysler get a "Golden Cupholder" Trophy?

< /rant >

Fake Edit: All that said, if my Aura's cupholder(s) could heat and cool my beverage, I wouldn't mind at all.
ubiquae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
puckalicious
puckalicious is on a distinguished road

I think there is merit to a cupholder design award. It is a "minor" design detail that gets MAJOR use. It's one of those elements that you don't notice unless it is a poor design.

I hated my '05 Saab 9-3 because it had the worst cup holders in the world. Even the smallest of cups would topple with very little effort. That and the horribly squeaky dash & door panels will keep me from considering a Saab for a long time.

Believe it or not, my Aura is a step up in quality (except for the shiny chrome shifter trim that blinds me), for nearly $10 grand less.
puckalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

All I can say is that the large ice coffee from McDonald's does not fit into either of the front cupholders on the Aura

I like the interior on the Aura, way better than that of the G6 or Malibu platform mates. Only thing that bothers me, I read in an article that the center stack of the dash where the radio and HVAC are, if you look, you see R2D2 from Star Wars. I see that
"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquae View Post
Best Cup-holder... I recognize that cupholders are important in a vehicle's interior, but c'mon an F#%&$*g award? Did Chrysler get a "Golden Cupholder" Trophy?

< /rant >

Fake Edit: All that said, if my Aura's cupholder(s) could heat and cool my beverage, I wouldn't mind at all.
You said it... The Sebring and Avenger does have good cup holders. The Sebring has the heated and cooled cup holders. The Avenger has the softdrink cooler above the glove box. It works good if you are driving 30 mins or longer.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
AgmLauncher
AgmLauncher is on a distinguished road

I agree a heated/cooled cupholder is a cool idea, but *hopefully* that's not enough to sway a consumer either way. If it is, all car companies have to rethink how they do marketing research tbh :/

That means something as seemingly trivial as the diameter of the volume control nob might make or break a sale.....

Talk about unpredictable consumer behavior
AgmLauncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
L100
Advanced Member
L100 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The Aura's interior is what drew me to the car in the first place. While I don't own one, I recommend it to anyone looking for a car. In addition to its visual appeal, its ergonomics are excellent. Controls and pedals are well placed and the instrumentation is very clear. The backlighing on the instrument panel is very crisp as is the trim on all models. The interior looks like it came out of a car costing $10,000 more.
L100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
AgmLauncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by L100 View Post
The Aura's interior is what drew me to the car in the first place. While I don't own one, I recommend it to anyone looking for a car. In addition to its visual appeal, its ergonomics are excellent. Controls and pedals are well placed and the instrumentation is very clear. The backlighing on the instrument panel is very crisp as is the trim on all models. The interior looks like it came out of a car costing $10,000 more.
Agreed. The only other interior I find comparable is the Acura RL. I don't even like Mercs or BMW interiors anymore.

Look at how horrible that new BMW interior is. Looks like it's straight out of the 70s or 80s. Utterly aweful....

All it needs is a tape deck instead of that CD changer and they're set...

Luxury sedan my ass.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
L100
Advanced Member
L100 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yikes!!! It looks like Chris Bangle's let his putty knife loose inside the 5 series. That pod in the middle of the dash is absolutely hideous.
L100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

That is utterly puke-a-licious. The design completely sucks ass, but it's okay because the materials are soft.
Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #11
ronjohn
ronjohn is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgmLauncher View Post
Agreed. The only other interior I find comparable is the Acura RL. I don't even like Mercs or BMW interiors anymore.

Look at how horrible that new BMW interior is. Looks like it's straight out of the 70s or 80s. Utterly aweful....

All it needs is a tape deck instead of that CD changer and they're set...

Luxury sedan my ass.

WOW - is that seriously from a new BMW? That is really unappealing. I've never been a BMW guy - I prefer Mercedes in this category.
ronjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:22 AM   #12
AgmLauncher

Ok, apparently it's not a "new" interior. It's the interior of 2006 BMW 7 series (their FLAGSHIP sedan). 2006 model year isn't exactly old though.

The 2007 interior looks almost identical in terms of form. At least the colors aren't as bad...

It's still extremely bland.

I'm actually kind of disturbed by Europe's new interior styling. All of their center consoles are split (and Japan seems to be following suite). The unified, blended console design seems like it's yesterday's news, even though IMO, it looks 10128349234 times better.

Example of a unified console

I think that puts any BMW dash/console design to shame.

Last edited by AgmLauncher; 06-13-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

These awards were insane. The Caliber managed to snag one, and its interior probably gets more criticism than any other lately. Incredible.

I'm with those who don't care for the design of the 7's interior. The photo does misrepresent colors though. I similarly don't care for the design of the new S-Class interior.

My votes for best interior, based on styling, materials, comfort, and workmanship:

over 30,000: Acura RL

under 30,000: Kia Amanti

The Kia has a frumpy exterior, but the interior is incredible for the price--about the same as the Auras after incentives and discounts. The Aura's interior isn't even in the same ballpark.

Ultra-high-res image (56k won't like):

http://www.kiamedia.com/secure/images/amanti2007/10.jpg

The 2008 CTS and the Infiniti M also have very good interiors.
truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #14
TexJer78
TexJer78 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
These awards were insane. The Caliber managed to snag one, and its interior probably gets more criticism than any other lately. Incredible.

I'm with those who don't care for the design of the 7's interior. The photo does misrepresent colors though. I similarly don't care for the design of the new S-Class interior.

My votes for best interior, based on styling, materials, comfort, and workmanship:

over 30,000: Acura RL

under 30,000: Kia Amanti

The Kia has a frumpy exterior, but the interior is incredible for the price--about the same as the Auras after incentives and discounts. The Aura's interior isn't even in the same ballpark.

Ultra-high-res image (56k won't like):

http://www.kiamedia.com/secure/images/amanti2007/10.jpg

The 2008 CTS and the Infiniti M also have very good interiors.

That is what you call an incredible interior. That is just gross. Thanks for the info though.
TexJer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #15
ShorelineGL
ShorelineGL is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA Green Line
1999 SL2

Clearly people's reaction to varying textures of plastic can be pretty extreme, never mind colors etc.

I think the current interior of the Aura is attractive and modern. While the center console does seem a little 'plasticky' it doesn't bother me to the extent that it clearly bugs other members of this forum.

What I find fascinating, is that looking at the image of the Kia's interior, there are portions of the dash that look very cool and upscale to me, but others that seem garish and cheap, and this is all at the same time. I certainly don't think it is 'superior' to the Aura, only different.

Before purchasing my Aura Greenline, I test drove a V6 Camry, a V6 Accord, and a 2.0 Jetta. Of the three the Jetta really 'felt' cheap in the interior, the Camry the most polished, but it was only minor degrees more so than the Aura.

Leather and faux wood finish can make an interior seem classier, but I am constantly thinking that the faux wood is plastic, which just makes me think 'cheap', which sort of defeats the purpose.
ShorelineGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #16
mkaresh
Advanced Member

Remember it's a photo. The Kia interior doesn't seem cheap at all in person, at least not to me. And I've driven hundreds of different cars, many of which have seemed cheap inside to me.

On fake wood, I'm not a big fan, but it's found in an increasing number of vehicles again after being out of fashion for a little while. The wood in the Cadillac Escalade? Fake. In every Acura except the RL? Fake.

Very nice real wood in some Infiniti sedans now, though.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #17
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexJer78 View Post
That is what you call an incredible interior? That is just gross. Thanks for the info though.
Really. There's no accounting for taste, eh?
"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #18
mkaresh
Advanced Member

Clearly I'm missing something. What differences make the Aura's interior stylish and the Amanti's gross?
Old 06-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #19
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
Clearly I'm missing something. What differences make the Aura's interior stylish and the Amanti's gross?
Uh, the Amanti has too much going on; it looks like a Toyota Cressida with a Dodge Caravan steering wheel and AMC gauges. It doesn't flow, it looks cobbled and not very unified in design elements; you've got your aforementioned Chrysler-esque steering wheel, your mid 80's pleated door panels, your late '70's center console (where's the 8 track btw?) and a WalMart/GPX designed stereo. Need more?

P.S., btw, I didn't know it was the Amanti until your quoted post; I thought it was a Kia SUV. Shouldn't a 'luxury' car have a non-SUV-looking instrument panel/dashboard? All I can think of is the Dodge Dakota or Dodge Shadow interior.
"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #20
mkaresh
Advanced Member

Actually, I took a look at some other steering wheels, and the Amanti's is a dead ringer for the one used in some Lexus SUVs, and similar to the one used in the previous generation LS. So you're right about the SUV bit WRT the steering wheel.

I'm still not seeing the SUV character to the IP. Some chrome-outlined strip of fake wood across the IP as in the AURA. There is a break between this strip and the center stack, but the center stack flows cleanly down into the center console, and the HVAC and audio are much more cleanly integrated than in the AURA.

The pleated door panels, I'll grant that detail. They are going after an older audience. But the thickly padded armrests attached to those door panels are 10x more comfortable than those on the AURA.