SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
Bismarck318
Advanced Member
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Windows Fog up when car is turned on

Upon starting the vehicle, my windows fog up. This requires either turning on the AC or Defrost to remedy the problem.

Was reading another thread here about the cabin filter, the thing is we have had a rather humid summer, I changed the cabin filter about 2 weeks back. Last week it rained quite a bit, but no apparent water leaks.

Is it the Cabin filter possibly? This is a Fram carbon one, I had no issues with the other particulate Napa Gold one as it was in there for nearly 8 years (tut tut), & was due.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Windows Fog up when car is turned on

So this seemed to start coincidental to changing the cabin filter- and the local weather hasn't changed appreciably?

And you're not losing coolant through the heater core- no sweet smell in the cabin?

My first guess would be that the cabin filter "box" isn't draining and is collecting rain water. Check and clean.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:25 AM   #3
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
Upon starting the vehicle, my windows fog up. This requires either turning on the AC or Defrost to remedy the problem.

Was reading another thread here about the cabin filter, the thing is we have had a rather humid summer, I changed the cabin filter about 2 weeks back. Last week it rained quite a bit, but no apparent water leaks.

Is it the Cabin filter possibly? This is a Fram carbon one, I had no issues with the other particulate Napa Gold one as it was in there for nearly 8 years (tut tut), & was due.
Yeah, I get that once in a while...usually after a wet or foggy night...
You turn the car on, the fan blows the humid air against a cold windshield, and it fogs up. Just a little bit in my case...seems there is always a tiny bit of air through the defrost vents, as I avoid defrost setting whenever possible...usually have mine on floor and dash vents.
I heard long ago, so my memory is hazy, that having it on defrost cycles the AC compressor.

My drain vent is always checked when I wash car...I usually get needles stuck in it. I think the plastic cover isn't 100% waterproof, and a tiny bit of moisture on filter will add to the foggy windshield issue when I fire it up in the early mornings.

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I changed the cabin filter about 2 weeks back. Last week it rained quite a bit, but no apparent water leaks.
I bet it drowned and /or the drains clogged. Pull it out, inspect and clean the drain out so it does...

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #5
Bismarck318
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam View Post
Yeah, I get that once in a while...usually after a wet or foggy night...
You turn the car on, the fan blows the humid air against a cold windshield, and it fogs up. Just a little bit in my case...seems there is always a tiny bit of air through the defrost vents, as I avoid defrost setting whenever possible...usually have mine on floor and dash vents.
I heard long ago, so my memory is hazy, that having it on defrost cycles the AC compressor.

My drain vent is always checked when I wash car...I usually get needles stuck in it. I think the plastic cover isn't 100% waterproof, and a tiny bit of moisture on filter will add to the foggy windshield issue when I fire it up in the early mornings.
True defroster works with the AC complessor (if equipped & if the temp is above a certain temp).

mellissam, I do note at times the AC on defrost can also make the Windows fog on the outside too. This recent issue fogs up the entire vehicle on the inside, the AC can usually clear it after a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
I bet it drowned and /or the drains clogged. Pull it out, inspect and clean the drain out so it does...
These drains, are outside of the air box? I noted the new Fram filter appears to be not as tight of a fit, is flimsier (bent when installing). I wondre if its more prone to retaining moisture.... it did not seem to matter if warm or cool, seems to have dried up for the mostpart but this lasted for about 3 - 4 days, much like when you have a water leak & whate saomewhere in the cabin. It was warmer last night so I flicked on the AC, seemed to have that stink to it, so much for the fram Odor control... why I sometimes say if it's not broke don't fix it, but on the other hand the filter really did look like it needed changing, the dealership tried to change it in '11 it looked like new to me at the time when I inspected it after their recommendation.

It wouldn't be the AC drain? I imagine that is hard to get at.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

As I recall, it's only a few of those plastic pop rivet thingambobbers to get at it under the cover. Once you do, you'll see and understand how easy it is to do it yourself.

The center of rivet things needs to be popped out first before the whole thing is pried out. Don't worry if you mangle them, you canget repalcements at your local auto store. A couple of flat blade screwdrivers oneithe side makes it easier.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
Bismarck318
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

^^^^

Already did this when I changed the filter 3 weeks back, correct those things are designed to be mangled & a PITA to get out... you mean I gotta go in there again?

I was asking if there was a drain in the airbox that holds the filter, I know there are drain holes in the cowl area on the sides.

Come to think of it I really haven't washed the car now in several years, just the bucket washings in the winter to get the brine off when it's warm enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
^^^^

Already did this when I changed the filter 3 weeks back,
And then it rained.... Yes there are drains, check/clean them/see if the do( drain). And maybe throw the filter into a warm oven.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

It could be worthwhile to read this:

http://www.wisegeek.org/how-can-i-ke...fogging-up.htm

Keep in mind the cabin filter is not in circuit if you use RECIRC mode - this would be in play if when OP mentioned A/C smelling odd RECIRC was selected.

However, its also true if you select either defog or defrost the A/C compressor will run and A/C light won't be on ... plus - the system will use outside air but RECIRC light will still be on if previously selected.

Air flow is over A/C evaporator first and will then over heater core but if heater core is cold (engine not yet warm) the cold air will be dumped on windshield and may or may not do any good at all.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #10
Bismarck318
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Seemed to correct itself, my first thought was the AC box (which would drain out of the AC Drain) was not draining the water, I would think that would come after the filter (??)... it was just strange this happened suddenly & just after the filter was changed.

I take it the AC drain is difficult to get at without stands or ramps?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!