SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General

Old 06-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #1
bac
bac is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 2nd row captain chairs

2nd row captain chairs do not fold forward for immediate access to the third row bench seat without moving the first set of captain chairs clear up because the headrests are too large. I have been arguing with Saturn that all they need to do is take off the large headrests and replace them with smaller ones and this would not be a problem. They wanted me to pay to have it done. My attitude is this is a designer flaw and I shouldn't have to pay to have this done. This is not a problem with the cheaper model of Relay - only the Saturn 3. Has anyone else had this problem?
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2nd row captain chairs

We have a 2003 Montana and the front and 2nd row seats are the same captain's chairs and have the same headrests. I believe what you're saying is that the front and rear headrests are so large they limit the space for the 2nd row to slide and recline forward to get to the back. A different headrest design wouldn't help much IMO. There seems to be enough access to the back as it is.
We used to have a 1998 Grand Voyager which has a lever to pop the seat forward for quick easy access to the rear. The headrests would stop the seat from flipping forward all the way. There was no obstruction though.
I'm not surprised that Saturn would want you to pay to have this done. It doesn't really constitute as a problem in my book. Do you own a Relay.3? If so the headrests were something you should have noticed before you bought the car. I'd say 99.5% of owners of GM vans since 1997 don't find it as a problem--you're in a minority. You feel special?
"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac
2nd row captain chairs do not fold forward for immediate access to the third row bench seat without moving the first set of captain chairs clear up because the headrests are too large. I have been arguing with Saturn that all they need to do is take off the large headrests and replace them with smaller ones and this would not be a problem. They wanted me to pay to have it done. My attitude is this is a designer flaw and I shouldn't have to pay to have this done. This is not a problem with the cheaper model of Relay - only the Saturn 3. Has anyone else had this problem?
1) Did you notice this before you bought it? If not, more fool you.

2) If you recently bought the Relay, use the 30 day exchange and get a Relay 2.

3) It is not a design flaw, this is the way the seats were designed. Specifically. You can easily get between the seats with the folding table down. The third row is for kids primarily and anything else is a fraction of the usage. If not, see points 1 and 2.

saturncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #4
silverbugeye
silverbugeye is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2008 VUE 2.4L

Access to rear seat in a Relay 3 is between the 2 center seats.

It wasnt intended to be from the side.

Relay 2 models have side access
silverbugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
nismopc
nismopc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbugeye
Access to rear seat in a Relay 3 is between the 2 center seats.

It wasnt intended to be from the side.

Relay 2 models have side access
So what happens to Relay 3 owners who have the optional 2nd row "toybox" center console installed. No access to the third row seats?

Hmm...
Brandon
nismopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:08 PM   #6
silverbugeye
silverbugeye is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismopc
So what happens to Relay 3 owners who have the optional 2nd row "toybox" center console installed. No access to the third row seats?

Hmm...

Tow box is only an option on the 2 model. Captains chairs are too wide for the toy box to fit.
silverbugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
jnjfriedland
jnjfriedland is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-3

Toy box is only optional on the Relay 2 - I have the 3 and only access it through the middle, we keep the folding cup holder/tray folded down unless we are actually using it. I've had full grown adults get back there using the middle with no problem, they even had to manuever over the car seat in the 2nd row . I agree that it is a little tough to fold them down (when you want to fold down both 2nd and 3rd row it gets a bit difficult to make it flat with the headrests) but that is something I knew going in and it is workable with some physical force.

Jackie
jnjfriedland is offline   Reply With Quote