SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
NewToSaturn2
NewToSaturn2 is on a distinguished road

Default Relay is an insurance ripoff

I've been driving my new Relay 3 now for about 2 weeks. We had called our insurance agency to switch the insurance over to this new car. Well, being that it is a brand new model it took the lady about a week to get back to me with a price. I about had a heart attack!! For those of you who don't know, insurance on a car is based on the symbol given to it. My old car, a 2001 Ford Escape SUV 4X4 was a symbol 11, which is pretty high because it is an SUV and 4X4. I expected my insurance to go down since my new Relay is a minivan. She just called back to tell me that they Relay is a symbol 20!!!!! My insurance is going up $500 a year. She said the Relay is the worst rated minivan she has ever seen! I'm completely shocked. I wonder if they know something about the safety of this vehicle that I don't. Has anyone else had this experience?????
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
Smokey
Smokey will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Relay is an insurance ripoff

I'm with USAA and the insurance on our Relay is very reasonable and I was very surprised at how low our rate is.

I dont have the exact figures in front of me, but my insurance company was very impressed with the overall safety/theft deterrence of the Relay.

Patrick
Old 03-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
silenthunter
silenthunter is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2

I have had my relay for 3 months and my insurance did not go up but a few dollars due to adding full coverage, rental car, etc. and I am 27. I don't know what insurance company you have, I use USAA, but you are getting ripped
Old 03-08-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
NewToSaturn2

After I my post, I got to researching! I found that symbols go from 2 to 27 with 27 being the highest to insure. A souped up Ford Mustang is a 24. A Ferrari is a 27. A Saturn SL6 is a 6. Why on earth with the Relay be a 20? The insurance company says that the Insurance Services Office, Inc does all the research and assigns all symbols to vehicles and they are used universally (with the exception of Progressive, who uses their own symbols). So, according to this, shopping around will be futile unless I look at Progressive. Smokey, if you don't mind, find out what symbol rating your insurance is using for your Relay. Meanwhile, I'm shopping around. I want to know if every agency in town is going to tell me that the Relay is a symbol 20. I also wonder if they are classifying this as an SUV instead of a minivan.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #5
Ken A
Ken A is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Hmmm........change companies...mine went up just over 100 dollars CDN, not bad I figured..compared to 2003 Pontiac Vibe
Old 03-08-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

meh... insurance is a ripoff period.

$2964/year for a '94SL1 with liabiility and comp.

Just b/c I'm 20 years old doesn't mean that they have to totally bone me.
Kevin
Old 03-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Actually, it DOES mean they have to totally bone you. Statistically your age group is involved with the highest number/claim amount of accidents, so therefore you pay the highest insurance. I felt the same way when I was that age, but there isn't much you can do about it except count down the days till you turn 25 or get married, etc.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:45 PM   #8
NewToSaturn2

Well, it looks like I'm stuck with this problem. I called 5 different agencies, all said that Saturn Relay is a symbol 20. I'm still checking with Progressive since they use their own symbols. I was also told that the Relay is listed in all insurance info as an SUV and not a minivan, that is why it is getting the high symbol rating. So, my only chance is Progressive. Isn't USAA for military only? The Relay is more expensive to insure than my convertible Sunbird - does this sound odd to anyone else? It is a MINIVAN for cripes sake!!! I guess I am just shocked because I had full coverage on a 2001 Ford Escape 4X4, no accidents or tickets ever and assumed a minivan purchase would actually help my insurance rates. I also assumed the Relay would get a decent insurance rating since the crash tests performed so far are good - all 4 or 5 star ratings. I've got to quit assuming!!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnTech
Actually, it DOES mean they have to totally bone you. Statistically your age group is involved with the highest number/claim amount of accidents, so therefore you pay the highest insurance. I felt the same way when I was that age, but there isn't much you can do about it except count down the days till you turn 25 or get married, etc.

True. I know this. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people start having issues (like my sister) with premium increases.

To put this in perspective:

Kevin - 1994 SL1
Sister - 1992 SL1

Kevin - Clean record, no tickets/accidents
Sister - 1 ticket (4 points), 1 at fault accident (rolled car)

Kevin - Liability and Comprehensive
Sister - Full Coverage

Premiums
Kevin - $2964
Sister - $932

Sister whines about her rates. Now that she got rid of the SL1 and went to a 2000LS1, her rates increased by $93 a year. The fuss that was raised over that.

I realize looking around to others my age (at school) that my rates are actually quite amazing. Only 5 more years to go until some more sane rates.

EDIT:

Age difference is 3 years... She is the older one.
Kevin
Old 03-08-2005, 04:17 PM   #10
Smokey
Smokey will become famous soon enough

Yes, USAA is for military/dependents only. Hopefully Progressive can come through for you.

I wonder if the other variants of our Relay (Terezza, Uplander, etc) are receiving the same "symbol"?

Insurance for our Relay was just a tad more then our 96 Saturn SL2.

Patrick
Old 03-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #11
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Look what GM did, making such a big stink that the new vans aren't minivans....
"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."
Old 03-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #12
NewToSaturn2

Yes, I believe GM has successfully pulled the wool over everyone's eyes. The insurance companies claim the Relay is an SUV. Today I went to pick up my license plate at the DMV where they told me that since the Relay was an SUV I could have my choice of car or truck plate! Guess, it's official - I'm driving an SUV with dual sliding doors! ha ha!!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:35 PM   #13
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin94SL
True. I know this. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people start having issues (like my sister) with premium increases.

To put this in perspective:

Kevin - 1994 SL1
Sister - 1992 SL1

Kevin - Clean record, no tickets/accidents
Sister - 1 ticket (4 points), 1 at fault accident (rolled car)

Kevin - Liability and Comprehensive
Sister - Full Coverage

Premiums
Kevin - $2964
Sister - $932

Sister whines about her rates. Now that she got rid of the SL1 and went to a 2000LS1, her rates increased by $93 a year. The fuss that was raised over that.

I realize looking around to others my age (at school) that my rates are actually quite amazing. Only 5 more years to go until some more sane rates.

EDIT:

Age difference is 3 years... She is the older one.
Don't forget you're screwed for being male to! Insurance is a crime.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #14
Aeain
Advanced Member
Aeain is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Yes USAA is reasonable. Would have been more for me to be the Primary Driver on the Relay than my ION Red Line. So, it is a little more expensive.
Andrew
2004 ION Red Line
Old 03-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #15
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

A Relay would add $77 to my insurance for 6 months, a Redline Ion would add $277, $80 for a Vue.
That's with Progressive. I drive a 2003 L200 now
Old 03-09-2005, 12:13 AM   #16
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

When cross-shopping, have them run the rates for your 2001 Escape 4x4 *and* all of the "platform-mates" of the Relay.

I'm really surprised that they are claiming the Relay as an SUV or truck. I was also surprised that here in TX, the Vue does not get "truck" plates, we get car plates.

Besides, the Relay is FWD or AWD... Whoever heard of a FWD truck??? IMO, all true "SUV"s are based on a truck frame/suspension platform, which implies RWD and solid axle. The Vue and Relay are both FWD or AWD with FWD doing most of the work. This, to me, implies car, not truck. Realy = minivan, despite the marketing hype. Sounds to me like the insurance companies are up to their old tricks of raping their customers again. Tsk tsk.

Keep shopping, you'll eventually find lower rates.

*wagging finger* Let this be a lesson to us all to check with our insurance agents to see what our rates are going to be like if we buy a specific car. I was surprised to find out that if I bought an '02 Ram Air Firebird with the WS6 package, my insurance was only going to go up about $30 a month from my beat up old Toyota pickup 4-banger. The 250HP V6 Vue raised my rates $5 a month, despite being 13 years newer and having 2x the power and being worth 15 times as much!
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:48 AM   #17
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

It is also possible that most insurance companies have little actual crash or injury data available to them yet for the Relay and it's clones. Since they have no quantifiable way to assign a risk factor, they have decided to err on the high side. Crash tests can only tell them so much.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:49 AM   #18
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Hmm, my VUE is considered a station wagon by Geico... I pay $845 a year for full coverage/uninsured motorists/glass breakage.
~D.J.~
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
Old 03-09-2005, 06:10 AM   #19
SL1Joe
SL1Joe has a spectacular aura aboutSL1Joe has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1

The SL1 costs $60/month to insure at Full Coverage with State Farm, would probably be cheaper but I have a speeding violation from 02 that still haunts me with the insurance company.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:01 AM   #20
AZguy
Advanced Member
AZguy is on a distinguished road

Hey NewtoSaturn2, it could be that your insurance company rated the Relay a symbol 20 becuase they didn't know where else to put it and they wanted to err on their safe side. Better to overcharge you than undercharge you and loose you when they try to up the rate later.
Closed Thread