SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
gottleib37
gottleib37 is on a distinguished road

Default Gas in oil- Help before my Saturn dies!

Hello;
I have a 1993 Saturn 4 door sedan with 230,000 miles. It has a single overhead cam so I think it is a SL1. It has provided great gas mileage until last winter. Now the gas milage is poor for this car and there is raw gas in the oil. I have been forced to stop driving it as the gas will destroy the motor. If you remove the air cleaner cover after driving; the throttle body has raw gas on it. Today I removed the fuel pressure regulator as I thought it might be the culprit but it seems to be fine. Gas squirted out when I loosened the screws. I replaced the injector afterward (gas squirted out when I removed it too) but the used replacement still seems to feed too much gas at idle. I did not drive it-only idled to observe the amount of gas being fed by the injector. I must confess that I am unfamiliar with injectors so I am assuming that there is too much gas being fed at idle. Can anyone tell me what to check to fix this problem? I would like to be driving this car again! Thank you.
gottleib37 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Gas in oil- Help before my Saturn dies!

There is a pressure regulator on the TBI. You probably want to replace it. RockAuto sells the kit. http://www.rockauto.com/ 1993 SATURN SL SEDAN 1.9L 116cid L4 TBI (9) SOHC : Fuel/Air : Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PR152

This will change the diaphragm in the regulator. High pressure to the injector will flood the engine at idle. By any chance do you have any codes? Check engine light on?
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
gottleib37

Yes the 'check engine' light has been on occasionally since I bought it! It will go out and then come back on- usually at an idle like at a stop light. As I wrote; I did not think anything was wrong with the fuel pressure regulator when I took it apart. It had not been run in weeks and it squirted fuel out when I removed it. So I should replace it? If that is all that is wrong I will be very happy. Thank you.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you are getting excessive fuel that is the first thing to try. The next time the light is on get the code.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
gottleib37

Ok I will try that tomorrow. Thank you.