SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #41
BUBBLEMAN
BUBBLEMAN is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Relay is an insurance ripoff

Just wondering what is the symbol for a Honda Odessey, Nissan Quest, Toyota Siena and the Pontiac Montana SV6.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #42
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Could someone break it down into liability vs comp/collision? Or is everyone getting full coverage since it's a new vehicle, usually financed, and all?

It might be since it's a new model there aren't any junkyard parts yet so they have to buy new from GM. That'd hurt comp/collission. Thankfully, as I understand it, Saturn has the same steel bodies as the rest of the line-- but did they do some small, unique thing (like a crease) that makes a part saturn-specific?

RE Liability, sure the average Relay driver is as sane if not more so than a small S-series driver but they're behind more mass and higher bumpers which'll smash other peoples' cars with greater force.

And you people with 12 year old s-serieses, why on earth do you still have full coverage? Go liability only!
Old 04-09-2005, 02:32 PM   #43
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

If I have full coverage on a car, I'll be damned if they tried to put anything BUT brand new parts FROM THE DEALER on my car if I were to ever make a claim. I had a friend who was rear-ended in his Jetta last year. Smashed the rear bumper, trunk lid, and even bent his seat rails from the impact. He got a quote from the VW dealership for how much they'd cost to fix it, and had the guy's insurance give him a check for that, which included painting to match and all that. You are entitled to get a factory-authorized service and repair station install NEW parts on your busted vehicle. You shouldn't have to save the insurance company money by having some shade-tree back-yard garage fix your car with parts from a junk yard. Now, if you want to fix it yourself, and you are willing to use parts from a boneyard, by all means... but insurance companies should buy brand new parts and have them installed by a dealership or factory licensed repair shop. Anything less is just ripping you off.

Having said that, the rates mentioned for the Relay are outrageous. I'd be less concerned with how much insurance on a Montana is, and more concerned with how much it is on the other GM clones for the same model. If you have them run a quote for the Gm or Pontiac incarnations, and they are less than the Saturn, I'd raise hell. On the other hand, it shouldn't cost drastically MORE to insure a Relay than to insure any other minivan with a V6 with <200HP, like a Dodge Caravan, Montana, etc. It's not like the Relay is a death trap, it's received great safety ratings! The fact that it's new does NOT give the insurance companies the right to shaft you without as much as a reacharound! I hate insurance companies sometimes.
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #44
silverbugeye
silverbugeye is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2008 VUE 2.4L

Did your Insurance rates go down today????
Old 04-11-2005, 11:44 PM   #45
DanCBJMS
DanCBJMS is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M
Yea, isn't that great! The SUV is a Station wagon and the Minivan is an SUV!
Weird, in Consumer Reports all SUVs, stationwagons, and minivans are considered to be, body-style-wise, as "wagons".
Sincerely yours,

Daniel Blanchette

1995 Saturn SL1, also Mom's 2001 Volvo V70 XC
Old 04-11-2005, 11:46 PM   #46
DanCBJMS
DanCBJMS is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBLEMAN
Just wondering what is the symbol for a Honda Odessey, Nissan Quest, Toyota Siena and the Pontiac Montana SV6.
A nosering?
Sincerely yours,

Daniel Blanchette

1995 Saturn SL1, also Mom's 2001 Volvo V70 XC
Old 04-12-2005, 12:11 AM   #47
ry92sc
ry92sc is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1992 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino
And you people with 12 year old s-serieses, why on earth do you still have full coverage? Go liability only!

Because If something unexpected where to happen, and I were to wreck by myself or get hit by an uninsured motorist, or hit someone and total my car I much rather pay 500 bucks and get 4500 (Retail for my 96) then be out a car. Plus in Arizona windshield coverage is a nessisity, Making my very first claim here to get a new windshield and those last I checked costed 500 bucks, and glass coverage has no deductable.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:17 AM   #48
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Post Re: Relay is an insurance ripoff

The comprehensive portion of our automobile insurance policies should cover the windshield if another vehicle causes a rock to get launched off the road and into our windshield leaving behind a nice chip or crack.
Current
∙ 2004 VUE 124K
∙ 2007 ION3 112K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K
∙ 2002 SL1 129K
Old 04-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #49
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

I looked on Intellichoice.com and the Saturn minivan is only about $200/year more to insure than a Honda Odyssey, according to their 5-year ownership cost data. The Chevy version is about the same as the Honda minivan.
I know some minivans are popular among car thieves, but a Saturn?

When my 1993 SW2 was new, it was the least likely to be stolen new car in America, and it was the first year Saturn offered a wagon. If I recall correctly, it was not much different to insure than my 8 year old Dodge. (I did check insurance rates before I made my decision to buy, and the SW2 was cheaper than the Toyota Corolla wagon and the Saturn SL2, but the SL1 was slightly cheaper than the SW2.)

Your insurance company is either stupid, crooked (is that redundant?) or both. If I was you, I would ask all my friends and relatives for a referral, because insurance cost is very specific to geographic areas.

I am a "city kid" who did not get a driver's license until I was 35. Even though I had a perfect credit record and was married the insurance racketeers wanted $2700/year for weekend-only driving on a then 5 year old Ford LTD Station Wagon. This robbery was uniform across 20 insurance companies that I tried and would also have lasted for three years. I finally beat the system by leasing a car with insurance bundled in. This insurance price fixing left such a bad taste in my mouth that I can still relate to your experience 20 years later - and still with a clean driving record.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #50
occupant
occupant is on a distinguished road

For my 2000 SL, liability at state minimums (20/40/15), no comp, no collision, no injury payments, age 26, male, one ticket, one accident in 3 years, I am offered $114 down, $95 a month. $1159 for one year. That was the lowest of all quotes I found in recent shopping.

Since I now only drive to and from my job, that makes it business use IMO, and the insurance card from the retailer I work at should cover it. It says all owned and non-owned vehicles, so that should pretty much cover me. That $1159 could be better spent elsewhere, and I don't drink and drive, or drive in an unsafe manner. This means my worst fear is getting hit by another uninsured motorist. An insured motorist will have to pay for my damages, though I still get a ticket if police are called for a report. An uninsured motorist will most likely flee the scene or pay me in cash.

Think what you will, but I will not pay $95 a month for insurance with my current almost clean record when I paid $62 a month five years ago at age 21, here in the same town, for what was at the time a 5-year old subcompact car (1995 Aspire), with tickets all over 1998 and 1999 and several wrecks, some my fault, some not.

Driving cabs for a few years and dropping my personal insurance puts me in a "high-risk" group. That's ridiculous, I was insured by the cab companies, but that apparently doesn't count since I wasn't the one writing the premium checks each month.

I do not like insurance, banks, or the IRS. All rackets, all unconstitutional, and I won't even go into this on this board...
Alan Moore
Malone, TX

1999 Taurus SE sedan, navy blue, 131K, Jellybean
1988 Suburban 2500, gray/red, 228K, The Moose II
Old 04-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #51
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Occupant,

I understand your frustration.

Unfortunately, if you do not carry insurance and are at fault, most states will revoke your license permanently until you pay all damages.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:22 AM   #52
L200INRI
L200INRI is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Just a thought, I would call GMAC Insurance -- They're who I use, and for my 04 Ion QC with full coverage and higher limits plus I'm 32yo and single -- It's only 840/Year. Sounds like you're getting hosed man!
Old 06-13-2005, 02:43 PM   #53
jnjfriedland
jnjfriedland is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-3

Hmmm...mine will be going up $300 a yr from a 96 Plymouth Neon. I was told by my agent that he considers Saturns to be very good cars from an insurance standpoint and I was expecting the rate to be even higher going from such a crap car to a nice new car
Old 06-16-2005, 08:31 AM   #54
bama
bama is on a distinguished road

I traded in an '04 ION QC for an '05 Relay 3 and my insurance went down about $7/month.

My wife and I have State Farm and pay $113/month for full coverage on a 2005 Relay 3 and a 2000 Ford Explorer. I think my Relay is about $53/month and the Explorer is about $60/month. We have no accidents or violations on record. State Farm classified it as a Minivan even though my registration says SUV.

State Farm is the best company I have ever worked with for insurance.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:30 AM   #55
BradJK
BradJK is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
2001 SL2

Having Just traded in our 2003 Vue 4cyl/AWD In on a Relay 2 FWD our insurance dropped by $30.

British columbia has a government run monopoly on insurance. ICBC.

Vue - $153/mo. = $1836
Relay - $123/mo. = $1476
Total Savings = $360 a year
Old 06-26-2005, 10:18 PM   #56
tizmefl
tizmefl is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-3
2002 VUE 3.0L
Happy Re: Relay is an insurance ripoff

We have two Saturns, A 2002 VUE and A 05 Relay. For both vehicles will full coverage including zero deductable, we pay 1200 per year. This is through Mercury Ins of Florida

Old 07-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #57
busted knuckles
busted knuckles is on a distinguished road

Just traded in my 2001 L 300 for an 05 Relay and insurance went up $7 every 6 months! Thats with esurance, who just over a year ago paid off my new mustang when it totalled itself!
Old 08-07-2005, 01:01 AM   #58
oak
oak is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Alot of car insurance companies are also using your FICO Credit Score in determining your rates, in addition to age, vehicle, zip code, driving record, etc.

Been late on a auto loan payment? Mortgage payment? Credit Card Payment? If yes, I wouldn't be surprised if your Auto Policy rates went up. I think its a conspiracy, but it seems to be legal.

Most states now give you a Free Credit Report annually. Check it for errors and to make sure your identity has not been hijacked.

Also, ask your local DMV for a copy of your driving history next time your renew your license. It's possible that another ticket/accident/claim got listed under your drivers license or your vehicles VIN number. It's easy to transpose a number.

Google for CLUE reports too. (Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange).
Old 08-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #59
NewToSaturn2
NewToSaturn2 is on a distinguished road

Cool Re: Relay is an insurance ripoff

Ya'll are going to love this one! I orginiated this thread upset that the Saturn Relay was given a symbol 20! Well, I went to my agent about it, he did a manual calculation and said should be a symbol 7!!!!!!!!!!!!! He went back to Westfield Insurance, which is a rather large insurance company and they had it WRONG in their computers! They are taking it to a 7 and will have to refund all overpayments back to the customers! So, if you have Westfield Insurance, you are going to see an adjustment going back to when you added the vehicle! If I hadn't noticed this and started screaming I wonder how long they would have overcharged EVERYONE who bought a Saturn RELAY????
Old 08-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #60
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToSaturn2
Ya'll are going to love this one! I orginiated this thread upset that the Saturn Relay was given a symbol 20! Well, I went to my agent about it, he did a manual calculation and said should be a symbol 7!!!!!!!!!!!!! He went back to Westfield Insurance, which is a rather large insurance company and they had it WRONG in their computers! They are taking it to a 7 and will have to refund all overpayments back to the customers! So, if you have Westfield Insurance, you are going to see an adjustment going back to when you added the vehicle! If I hadn't noticed this and started screaming I wonder how long they would have overcharged EVERYONE who bought a Saturn RELAY????
<snicker> Our house, boat, business, trailers, parent's cars, work vehicles, my jetski, and my renter's insurance are all through Westfield. The only thing around here that isn't through Westfield would be my VUE.
~D.J.~
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
Closed Thread