SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 11-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
97SL2guy
97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default What resistor for power UNlock wire to aftermarket alarm?

Greetings, Saturn fans! It's been a while since I've been on here, mainly because I've remedied all my past issues with my 2006 Ion. But now it's time to finally install the alarm I purchased over 6 months ago!

Back when I bought it, I went to install it and found that the power door lock drivers door switch has two wires; one black and one white. With the help of my trusty DMM, I found that the black is ground (kind of expected that) and the white is 12v when the lock or unlock button is pressed on the factory key fob. Only problem is, from what I've read, it's considered a "one wire" switch (the white being the one wire they're talking about).

So... since the alarm has TWO wires (one for lock, one for unlock), I read somewhere here in the Ion forum that you need a resistor connected between the alarm's unlock wire and that white wire in at the switch. Trouble is, I can NOT find that original post, so I'm once again baffled by which resistor to get. The person that posted it said that the switch gets a much lower voltage signal from the BCM when the UNlock button is pressed, so on an aftermarket alarm, you need to put in a resistor to tell that one white wire that you want to UN lock your door.

Can someone remind me what resistor I need? I searched on eBay back when they posted it, but I cleared my history so I totally can't find which resistor I searched for. I think it was something like a 1.5K 1/4 watt or something like that. I'm not really familiar with resistors so I had trouble finding the specific one mentioned in the forum.

Anyone ever install this resistor and get their aftermarket alarm's two wires to lock and unlock their driver's door with the aftermarket alarm remote? If so, which resistor did you use?

Thanks so much!

(I'm pretty sure this is not a repost because I had this same question 6 months ago but can't find where I posted about it here.)
Sold the 97 SL2 and bought a 06 Ion! SO MUCH NICER car! Problem is, I don't think there is a way to change my username, so I'm leaving my username alone until I figure out if/how it can be changed.
97SL2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: What resistor for power UNlock wire to aftermarket alarm?

The wiring diagram indicates a 1.5K ohm resistor is used on the unlock side of the circuit.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 198K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 56K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
97SL2guy
97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
The wiring diagram indicates a 1.5K ohm resistor is used on the unlock side of the circuit.
Thanks so much! I'm finding tons of those on eBay! Only problem now is they come in different wattage and tolerance ratings, so I'm only HALF confused now. LOL! But this is a start! I might just order different ones and try the lower rated ones first.
Sold the 97 SL2 and bought a 06 Ion! SO MUCH NICER car! Problem is, I don't think there is a way to change my username, so I'm leaving my username alone until I figure out if/how it can be changed.
97SL2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SL2guy View Post
Thanks so much! I'm finding tons of those on eBay! Only problem now is they come in different wattage and tolerance ratings, so I'm only HALF confused now. LOL! But this is a start! I might just order different ones and try the lower rated ones first.
The resistor doesn't have to be huge. The electrical load of the power locks doesn't go through the switch like in older vehicles. It's literally just a switch that tells the BCM when the lock/unlock button is being pressed. A 1.5K ohm resistor with a 1/2 watt rating would work just fine.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 198K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 56K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote