SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #4101
ultravioletnk
ultravioletnk is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

today i went to the junkyard and picked up a couple of transaxle-side shifter cable bushings. i also grabbed a trunk release actuator/latch assembly (my trunk release isn't working and it made a terrible noise before it died) and some door ajar sensors. (my left rear door didn't trigger the dome light most of the time)

then when i got home i took apart my temporary nylon shifter bushing fix (as suggested in a thread on here) and spend a good half hour wrestling the proper (and very snug-fitting) bushing into the cable's end loop. it was worth it, though! my shifter feels much more precise now, and i feel that it won't be as easy to shift incompletely now.

the door switch was an easy swap, and now the door reliably triggers my dome light.

the trunk release, however, didn't improve anything. unfortunately, i think i have a dead switch. i'm not looking forward to removing whatever i need to so as to get to that one... it looks like it's carpeted over and i'll need to remove the seat.

all in all, it was a productive day of saturn improvement now i need to find an intact plastic shroud (the one that goes behind the radiator and holds up the draft flap thing) at the junkyard.... thus far, they've all been broken in the same way mine is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ultravioletnk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ultravioletnk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ultravioletnk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2015, 02:52 AM   #4102
blakesmith90
blakesmith90 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL

yesterday went to the junkyard. got the fallowing
Front and rear KYB GR2 struts and springs that looked new (came from a 80k mile sl2)
Front Pro stop brake rotors and pads from same car that were new
Passenger side sun visor
Factory Double din curvy 96 factory cd player
Single din adapter for 96-99
Factory 96 owners manual
Drivers fender (in green , need to repaint Gold)
Factory Spoiler (in silver also need to repaint)
Pioneer speakers with saturn plugs
Alpine amp
and some parts for my parents 94 accord and my 86 chevy C20 pickup

Today i replaced the clutch. replaced my oem am/fm radio with the cd player. installed front speakers , installed new valve cover gasket, cleaned up interior a bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blakesmith90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blakesmith90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blakesmith90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #4103
amp01845
amp01845 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Took this picture... Still have to get her registered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1347.jpg (119.9 KB, 21 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amp01845's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amp01845 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amp01845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #4104
jhonky
Advanced Member
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Traveled from Texas to Iowa to visit oldnuc and get cruise. Have a swapped 5th gear so been without for a few years. He got that working, got a jamb but loose that Firestone couldn't, fixed my ects after a few years of sometimes working sometimes not(changed sensors twice, connectors, etc etc, and put on a junkyard spoiler

My car is infinity times better now

Next projects are clockspring and stiffener plate. I either have an aftermarket, or some weird version that's missing a yellow wire, plus it has too much play. Stiffener plate the shop that put in my exhaust trashed

Yesterday at the junkyard I got my 3rd front passenger side quarter panel. Good paint job and no pinstripes. First one had bad paint job that I made worse, 2nd had pinstripe that I got off except a 7 or so inch part where I scrapped up the paint too. Also got a new sunvisor, and TPS sensor. More often lately my car will rev between 1500-2k rpm at stop lights.

Oldnuc is amazing

98 SL2
5th gear swap
223000 miles
38 mpg

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:49 PM   #4105
jhonky
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

3rd times a charm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (171.9 KB, 19 views)

98 SL2
5th gear swap
223000 miles
38 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2015, 12:27 AM   #4106
J N Winkler
J N Winkler has a spectacular aura aboutJ N Winkler has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2

OldNuc is amazing.

My project for the day was to replace the positive battery terminal bolt. I had had to replace a stripped negative terminal bolt several months ago, and I had since replaced the battery and had the generator rebuilt. The electrical system still felt a little "off" to me with a bit more brake light flicker than I liked, so I decided to do the positive terminal bolt as well. Sure enough, it was stripped, with flattened threads, just like the other.

I had the swap done within fifteen minutes using a heat gun and a pair of pump pliers. The negative bolt had been my first try at this particular job, and it took over two hours, with much coaching from OldNuc: this shows how steep the learning curve can be for some repair tasks.

Electrical performance seems more consistent now and stepping on the brake lights when the car is idling doesn't dim the IP lights as much as before. However, my car has started rumbling when it finishes rolling to a stop, so I suspect I need to take the throttle body off for cleaning and work on the IACV pintle. The car should slip into idle without missing a beat when it is brought to a slow controlled stop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J N Winkler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J N Winkler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #4107
catric69
catric69 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

1995 Saturn SL2 with 79898 on the ODO.

4087 miles on oil and filter.

Out: 4Qts PYB 5W-30 and Bosch 3330 filter.

In: 4Qts QSGB 5W-30 and Fram TG3614

'14 XV Crosstrek CVT
'13 Outback Limited 3.6R

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to catric69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help catric69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
catric69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:28 AM   #4108
jhonky
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

got a rear bumper fascia from the JY today, and a front door passenger side trim panel. bumper fasica is almost perfect except one area i am going to repaint as a project to see how it turns out.

changed the TPS the other day. cleaned the throttle body while i was at it. my random 1700rpm at a stop light problem has ceased

98 SL2
5th gear swap
223000 miles
38 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2015, 01:03 AM   #4109
seac
seac is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

My car has been doing slight stuttering or stumbling on idle when stopped at a light for the past two months. When stopped at a light, I usually put the car in neutral so I can ease up on the brake pedal. This is when I notice the idle stumbling. The car runs fine otherwise. I put new spark plug cables in today and drove the car, it is still doing it. Reading up on some posts, it could be the EGR, or maybe the fuel filter or a vacuum leak . I'll have to do those next.

Saturn 2002 SL2
At 67K+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
seac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #4110
saturn cinq
saturn cinq is on a distinguished road

My exhaust manifold was broken at the manifold-to-downpipe junction, so I took it out and replaced it with a Grade A used manifold I got for 68$CAD. I was expecting potential trouble, but it went well!

Four of the nuts came off, and the four other nuts came with the studs. I used brand new flange serrated nuts where I could, but reused three of the studs that had stuck nuts. One of them I had to replace with a stud-and-stuck-nut I got at the junk yard, as the old nut was in bad shape. Torqued everything slowly and no more exhaust leaks!

I also changed the thermostat with a Stant, and flushed the coolant, replacing it with universal yellow. The old coolant sure was disgusting, with plenty of red dexcool sludge everywhere. Couldn't flush everything, but it's a lot better now. Now the engine finally goes up to the proper operating temperature!

I also cleaned up the throttle body without taking it off the engine. Sprayed a lot of throttle body cleaner in there, scrubbing a bit with a clean rag. It sure was hard to start the engine up afterwards! Maybe I should have taken the throttle body off, but I didn't have a spare gasket. If it ever gets sticky again, I'll take it off and give it a thorough cleaning.

After all that I had the exhaust inspected for free at the best local exhaust shop around and they found no leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn cinq's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn cinq reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn cinq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #4111
Pitcher
Pitcher will become famous soon enoughPitcher will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1998 SC2

Way to go!

How's the tune-up items, like, spark plugs, wires, air filter, etc?

'00 SL2. "Creampuff" 89 YO lady car. 20 oil changes 1st 33k miles. Now 85k.

'98 SC2 "Red Hot" 5-Speed. Pennzoil + Lubegard. $1600

'01 SL2 BIL's 10th Anniversary Edition

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #4112
saturn cinq
saturn cinq is on a distinguished road

I did the air filter a few months back.

My todo list:
  • Change spark plugs (set of BKR4ESA-11 is in the mail)
  • Inspect wires with spray test (they look good), replace if needed
  • Change power steering fluid with spare Transynd
  • Change top motor mount with GM OEM part
  • Refasten loose steering wheel stalks collar
  • Reclip rear hatch washer fluid nozzle
  • Summertime: professional rustproofing

Since I got my 99 SW1 M5 I drove it 5000miles, so now it's at 83k miles.

What's done:
  • I replaced the thermostat
  • I diagnosed the ECTS as good, as OBD2 cold IAT temp = ECTS temp, and needle is right where it should since new thermostat, with OBD2 temp right at 88C on highway
  • I put Transynd in the transmission
  • I changed the air filter
  • I flushed and changed the coolant
  • I replaced the exhaust manifold
  • I had the muffler replaced
  • I had one front ball joint replaced
  • I replaced the rear O2 sensor to clear a code
  • I had the four wheels aligned
  • I replaced the battery with new one
  • I cleaned the throttle body, fixed sticky accelerator
  • I changed the oil with 5W30 Castrol Syntec
  • I top off the oil, burn rate about 0.5 quart per thousand miles

And just two months before I bought it:
  • Two front bearings replaced
  • Two front brake pads and rotors replaced

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn cinq's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn cinq reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn cinq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #4113
SLfun
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL1

Installed 2 LED brake/ parking lights. I got rear ended last month, and from now on I want people to be able to see my rear end in all weathers!!

And oh are they bright. The parking lights are now as bright as the old brake lights The brake lights are great too, and they come on instantly. Next lighting project will be to upgrade the 3rd brake lights....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 AM   #4114
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Today I replaced the connector for the ECTS, replaced the thermostat, and also noticed that the fan was not coming on, and I hadn't heard the fan come on at all since we bought the car (a couple of months ago), so I replaced the fan relay and yay the coolant fan now works.

My car runs amazing now!!

Next on the list is to replace the serpentine belt...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #4115
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Replaced the transmission mount.

10 Lb. Competition Clutch Steel Flywheel: 8 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #4116
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

That looks like an unsquashed OEM trans mount. I see you have one of those special Saturn tools, the compacted cellulose transmission spacer tool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #4117
TvSteve
Advanced Member
TvSteve is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
1997 SW2

Fixed the clunk in the rear. BTW Rock has these, Moog, Closeout for 11.55. There packaged in a Carquest box but there Moog with the zerk fittings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg link.jpg (174.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg link1.jpg (146.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by TvSteve; 03-05-2015 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: added pix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TvSteve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TvSteve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TvSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #4118
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TvSteve View Post
Fixed the clunk in the rear. BTW Rock has these, Moog, Closeout for 11.55. There packaged in a Carquest box but there Moog with the zerk fittings.
Thanks! I can use another set for the SW2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That looks like an unsquashed OEM trans mount. I see you have one of those special Saturn tools, the compacted cellulose transmission spacer tool.
Custom 6-footer with specially rotted ends so as not to damage the fine aviation-quality finish
The good: Trans sits at the proper height.
The bad: Froze my feet. Broke tab off the (14 deg. F) splash-guard
I still need to loosen and re-tighten the other mounts.

It seems that in a pinch, the olde mount could be shimmed. There is plenty of thread on the bottom stud.

10 Lb. Competition Clutch Steel Flywheel: 8 stalls to date (and loving it)

Last edited by bumpdraft; 03-05-2015 at 08:46 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #4119
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

I did also save the one I pulled out in case of emergencies and I do have a brand new OEM trans mount in the box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #4120
Bob243
Bob243 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL1

Cleaned more snow off the cover

The nicest day we had this week ( 28deg) was spend drilling out a stuck stud on my jeep thanks to the tire shop being overzealous with the impact.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bob243's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bob243 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bob243 is offline   Reply With Quote