SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 06:50 PM   #1
UserName
UserName is on a distinguished road

Default replacing front brake pads on 2002 L-200 requires replacing rotors?

I took my 2002 L-200 in for its 30K service yesterday. A few hours later, the dealer calls me and tells me that the front brake pads are at 2.5mm and should be replaced. From what I understand, this is pretty believable given the mileage, etc.

However, then he proceeds to tell me that for this particular model, replacing the front brake pads requires also replacing the rotors. To clarify, he did not say anything about my rotors actually independently needing replacement -- just that the front brake pads cannot be replaced without replacing the rotors as well. I don't know much about car internals, but from talking to others, it sounds like this should not happen.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether the dealer is indeed telling the truth?

TIA

(BTW, the car's still on warranty, so I didn't want to take it to another mechanic)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to UserName's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help UserName reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
UserName
UserName is on a distinguished road

Default correction [Re: replacing front brake pads on 2002 L-200 requires replacing rotors?]

Ok, so I was somewhat mistaken. What the dealer is saying now is that since the rotors are made out of cast iron, they just wear down at about the same rate as the brake pads, so both needed replacing.

Still, this doesn't match what I have heard in general -- that the rotors should wear down slower than the pads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to UserName's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help UserName reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2004, 09:45 PM   #3
Uglier
Uglier is on a distinguished road

Default Re: correction [Re: replacing front brake pads on 2002 L-200 requires replacing rotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName
Ok, so I was somewhat mistaken. What the dealer is saying now is that since the rotors are made out of cast iron, they just wear down at about the same rate as the brake pads, so both needed replacing.

Still, this doesn't match what I have heard in general -- that the rotors should wear down slower than the pads.
I don't know about any Saturn rotor replacement rules, but in general it is a good idea to replace the rotors with the pads. As rotors get thin they warp and cause pulsations, nasty. Its cheap insurance that you won't have to fool with the brakes again for a long time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uglier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uglier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:46 PM   #4
David
David is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Replace Your Rotors

You L200 has what is basically a Saab braking system. The rotors are thin and they do wear down quickly. This is standard on most European sedans. The sedans are performance cars and there rotors were not designed to be turned.

In contrast many American cars have thicker and usually harder rotors, which can frequently be machined or "turned", if they aren't worn too badly. These still have to be verified by whoever turns them to make sure that they are within specifications to be turned.

Saturn knows that most Americans weren't too happy with this. So they stepped up to the plate by paying for the rotors if the car is still under warranty. You will have to pay for the labor.

That's what they did for me. I would definitely take advantage of this and have them do your brakes. It will save you almost 200 bucks. You will never have a deal like this again.

Your next time you need brakes you can explore other options, like different pads that will reduce your brake dust and have less fade. Your front brakes do most of your stopping so they get changed more frequently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 12:10 AM   #5
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: replacing front brake pads on 2002 L-200 requires replacing rotors?

Before you actually buy those new rotors, check out this website: www.frozenrotors.com

Diversified Cryogenics has a process that cold treats rotors (or any metal part for that matter) with liquid nitrogen at about -300 f. The result is greatly improved rotor life and vastly improved braking.

Diversified Cryogenics will either treat your rotors for you, if they don't stock rotors for your car, or sell you a set of rotors that have been treated. Check out the website. It has a wealth of information.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
AZguy
Advanced Member
AZguy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: correction [Re: replacing front brake pads on 2002 L-200 requires replacing rotors?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName
From what I understand, a brake pad replacement on the car does not necessarily also require a rotor replacement. It all comes down to how hard and frequently you use your brakes. Because the rotors are thin, most people who are hard, last-second brakers, need new rotors becuae they've warped them from overheating. And, it they don't warp them, then they wear them down. And becuase the rotor is so thin, there's no reserve left for grinding them flat again if they get warped.

My '02 is at 39k miles and I was told that I've still got 60% of the pad remaining. I'm not patting myself on the back, but rather making my point clear.

I think what the dealer is telling you is your rotors are worn beyond salvage, although he didn't do a very good job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AZguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AZguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 11:08 AM   #7
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Here are the rotor specs. Anything .878 or under after refinish need to be replaced.

Specifications - Brake Rotor/Disc
Notes BRAKE ROTORS Brake Rotor Retaining Fastener 35 in.lb
Front Lateral Runout 0.001 in
Thickness Variation 0.0003 in
Diameter 11.3 in
New Thickness (Nominal) 0.98 in
Minimum Thickness After Refinish 0.878 in
Discard Thickness 0.866 in
Note: *Brake drums and rotors have a discard diameter or thickness dimension cast into them. This is a wear dimension and not a refinish dimension. Any drum or rotor which does not meet the specification values should be discarded.
Rear Lateral Runout 0.001 in
Thickness Variation 0.0004 in
Diameter 11.25 in
New Thickness (Nominal) 0.39 in
Minimum Thickness After Refinish 0.35 in
Discard Thickness 0.31 in
Note: *Brake drums and rotors have a discard diameter or thickness dimension cast into them. This is a wear dimension and not a refinish dimension. Any drum or rotor which does not meet the specification values should be discarded.

Copyright © 2004 ALLDATA LLC
Terms of Use

Refinishing Brake Rotors

In manufacturing the brake rotor, tolerances of the braking surfaces for flatness, parallelism, and lateral runout are held very close. The maintenance of close tolerances on the shape of the braking surfaces is necessary to prevent brake roughness and brake noise.

In addition to these tolerances, the surface finish must be held to a specified range. The control of the braking surface finish is necessary to avoid pulls and erratic performance and to extend lining life.

When performing routine brake maintenance, rotors should not be refinished, unless there is a brake pulsation caused by the rotors or the rotors are excessively scored.

Scoring of the rotor surfaces not exceeding 1.5 mm (0.060 inch) in depth, which may result from normal use, is not detrimental to brake operation.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

Last edited by lostwages_ls2; 12-15-2004 at 11:14 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 11:11 AM   #8
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Had may brakes done at a local shop around 60,000 miles. They did not change the rotors but turned them. At 76,000 miles and the braking is fine. I guess it's what you have and how you drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #9
playboyroy
playboyroy is on a distinguished road

At 30,000 miles something is wrong. Too early to change brakes.

Looking at the specs for our rotors, we don't have that much to play with. With any other vehicle I would always recommend to change the rotors(throw away item) with pads. That's because rotors are USUALLY cheap for other vehicles and not the L-Series. Plus it's a hassle to get them turned and rotors are getting thinner. More likely to warp.

I would try to get them to do the job under warranty. If not, shop around on the web for parts and get someone to change them for you. Check www.rockauto.com . They have rotors as low at $14.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to playboyroy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help playboyroy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

According to Joe Cutrone of 6thplanet, rotors shouldn't even be machined at pad replacement unless they have serious scoring.

We followed his advice on our 2000 SL1 with fine results.

Perhaps these European brakes just self-destruct and fling dust in order to cope with autobahn speeds.

Junk in my book.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
akarcz
akarcz is on a distinguished road

My independent mechanic replaced my front rotors w/brake pads. I replaced my front pads on my 2002 L200at 62k. I wasn’t too surprised as this is standard operating procedure with my other car a Volvo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to akarcz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help akarcz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2004, 11:22 AM   #12
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Since Asbestos went away and brake pads went to bi-metal, I've never been able to have rotors turned on any car. The bi-metal pads are a lot harder on the rotors than asbestos used to be so the rotors wear much faster.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:28 PM   #13
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I've always changed the rotors every other brake pad change. I've never had rotors turned since I always do my own work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread