SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2015, 06:00 AM   #1
cdxhizors
Advanced Member
cdxhizors has a spectacular aura aboutcdxhizors has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Passenger side cv axle change

Hey all, I've got a quick question I've been trying to figure out.. I'm going to replace the passenger side cv due to the tone ring being broken. I hate to waste a good axle but i don't know where else to turn and my abs won't stop engaging when trying to stop(the ring keeps spinning which makes it look like the tires going to fast)... My question is if I remove the cv shaft from the intermediate shaft, will transmission fluid leak?? I can't find the answer anywhere. Been searching for a while now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdxhizors's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdxhizors reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdxhizors is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Passenger side cv axle change

The axle is solid, how is fluid going to leak unless you pull it out of the transmission?

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

Passenger side: no.

Before you remove it check to see how much it overlaps the intermediate axle. When you put the new one on it looks like it doesn't fit the same. So save yourself the stress :-).

Hardest part I had was dropping the torsion bar from the LCA. You'll need a long breaker bar. A friend would help but it can be done on your own.

Jack stands are a must. Also use the jack as a backup cause you're are hammering hard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to proveniebam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help proveniebam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I wasn't sure if fluid was in that intermediate shaft to cool the bearings. Thanks for the advice proveniebam. So I take out the 2 strut mount bolts and the tiered end bolt and I can wiggle the hub free right? That's what shawnv sure made it look like on his post a few years ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cdxhizors reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdxhizors View Post
Hey all, I've got a quick question I've been trying to figure out.. I'm going to replace the passenger side cv due to the tone ring being broken. I hate to waste a good axle but i don't know where else to turn and my abs won't stop engaging when trying to stop(the ring keeps spinning which makes it look like the tires going to fast)... My question is if I remove the cv shaft from the intermediate shaft, will transmission fluid leak?? I can't find the answer anywhere. Been searching for a while now.
1-Xmission oil will not leak out when removing cv joints otherwise there would be warnings/alerts everywhere to every DIYer and repair shops all over the world. The only oil leak will be some residual oil leaking past internal bearings from the main xmission case holding the bulk of xmission oil.

2-Is the reluctor actually cracked or intact? Broken weld or corrosion allowing it to spin free? If its not cracked, it may be salvageable.

3-Worse case scenario and you're not concerned about ABS and do not want ABS activating; pull the ABS fuse(s) to disable ABS altogether. ABS is disabled but the idiot light may remain ON as an annoyance until you make repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
1-Xmission oil will not leak out when removing cv joints otherwise there would be warnings/alerts everywhere to every DIYer and repair shops all over the world. The only oil leak will be some residual oil leaking past internal bearings from the main xmission case holding the bulk of xmission oil.

2-Is the reluctor actually cracked or intact? Broken weld or corrosion allowing it to spin free? If its not cracked, it may be salvageable.

3-Worse case scenario and you're not concerned about ABS and do not want ABS activating; pull the ABS fuse(s) to disable ABS altogether. ABS is disabled but the idiot light may remain ON as an annoyance until you make repairs.
We discussed the tone ring in my other thread and I attempted to JB weld it but it didn't hold. The ring is cracked so it spins free now. It's still one piece. Just expanded to spin free. I can clamp it and it will hold tight to the shaft. I didn't have any abs problems until the other day. I nearly killed someone at a crosswalk trying to stop as the abs was pulsing constantly while trying to brake. I downshifted and went though a red light. I couldn't stop the whole trip home. No matter how hard I held the brakes or lightly the abs would pulse instantly and constantly. I pulled the fuse for it as soon as I got home. I hate to waste a good cv shaft due to the stupid ring. But I couldn't get any off at the junkyard without cracking them or shattering them. I tried 4 cars then gave up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your situation is one of a handful of situations where ABS becomes a hazard when it activates at the wrong time. Other than gluing or welding the ring in place (an unbroken one only), the best safety precaution would be to remove the ABS fuse to disable it altogether. Unfortunately, the experiment failed so removing the ABS fuse is best. Only one other alternative, breaking the reluctor apart and completely removing the broke parts will do the electronics equivalent of fuse pulling; the automatic power up self tests at ignition on time will allow ABS to pass but as soon as the wheel sensor fails to detect the reluctor, the ABS will disable itself and turn on the ABS light to warn you that ABS is disabled.

Removing the main ABS fuse when ABS activates incorrectly and causes a hazard while driving is the best option other than having the car repaired immediately whether at home or repair shop. This presumes the basic braking system is in working condition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2015, 06:31 AM   #8
lamping.ap
Advanced Member
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

When I did this, due to a busted boot (got a low mile axle at the JY already pulled for $20), I put a couple drops of gear oil in the intermediate shaft bearing. This may be wise for you to do also. I've read it a few times here. Example: Link --> http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133442

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Someone mentioned white lithium grease. Would this be fine? I don't have any gear oil around. I've got bar and chain oil. A little thick but might be sufficient??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No mention of lubing drive shafts in service manuals so any lube will do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #11
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Will do. It's all taken apart right now. Got to break out my new 1/2 impact that I've had for a year now made this whole job worth the trouble haha. I'm doing the alternator charging wire while I'm under it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2015, 11:48 PM   #12
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

What's the correct way to torque the axle nut?? I just tightened it into the hub and went. I now have a squealing coming from that wheel. I'm hoping it's not my wheel bearing. When turning the wheel with the car up in the air the cv boot is very squeaky which could be the problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

So now I have a horrible squealing while driving. I jacked the car up and when I turn the wheel the bearing feels fine but it's only been 20 miles. The only noise is the inner boot on the cv is very squeaky. Very. Is it possible that it is the cause? The noise is loud.. Everyone stares. The axle nut is torqued to 147 (I saw both 145 and 148.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It would be unusual for bearings to squeak if the boot isn't broken. Are you sure the CV joint is making noise? Maybe the intermediate drive shaft?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2015, 03:16 PM   #15
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
It would be unusual for bearings to squeak if the boot isn't broken. Are you sure the CV joint is making noise? Maybe the intermediate drive shaft?
It's a rubber squeal, from the inner boot area. Could be the seal squealing? Or rubber boot on the inside?? It definitely is a rubber noise. Ideas??? :/ really don't know what to do. I just got the car re-aligned today. Would hate to yank it back apart but I want to fix it. What would you suggest. I only have tonight to work on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

CV joints use a single heavy duty rubber boot for each articulated joint to contain the permanent silicone grease lubing the joint for life. A very messy, sticky clean up when a boot ruptures and grease is flung axially. Two blown cvj's is enough experience.

Is it possible for old seals to cause this noise? Tried spraying oil or grease where the noise is coming from?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #17
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I coated everything in white lithium(the boot and the join between the cv shaft and intermediate axle)

How would I go about checking the seal??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #18
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Use the link given to see the seals used in post #41. Oiling or grease may help pinpoint where the squeaking is emanating from.

I crawled under my car several times last year to find an annoying rattle, lubing the usual bushings - only to fail. When I rotated tires I discovered a new anti-rattle clip left the car mysteriously, allowing the rear brake pads to rattle. Another rattle appeared again this year. Judging from the snow dump (excuse?) I found a rear anti-rattle clip in my driveway - the second time a clip left the caliper!? I'm waiting for spring to start checking things and begin the annual old car (12 yrs) maintenance.........and the clip will be installed again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #19
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is probably the seal in the right hand end of the intermediate shaft. Remove axle, carefully clean all the grime out from under the dust cover and very carefully clean both of the inner seal lips. Lube with engine oil and fill the area between the seal and the bearing with CV joint grease or the heaviest gear oil you can find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #20
54packman
54packman will become famous soon enough

1998 SW2
2000 SC2

Check the brake backing plate is not rubbing on the rotor..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 54packman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 54packman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
54packman is offline   Reply With Quote