SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
patpatt
patpatt is on a distinguished road

Default Need help replacing a bad ECM

I need to replace, not rebuild, the ECM on a 2000 LW2. Any suggestions or experiences, good or bad, with particular suppliers or programmers? I would prefer not to go to a dealer. Base case is to find the same part number 21025128 at a salvage yard and get a guy in the Houston, TX area to program it, but I don't have experience with either. There are several advertisers on the net, including one on this site, but I don't know who I can trust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to patpatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help patpatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
patpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Need help replacing a bad ECM

1-Why are you replacing it? Are you sure its blown? What are the symptoms?

2-All ecm's are already programmed if they came from donor vehicles; they do not require anyone to reprogram them. Other than resynching a used ecm to your car's electronics (needing 3 -10 minute cycles with the ignition ON each time) these are almost plug n' play. The relearning required is to have the ecm learn a fuel password from the bcm (or vice versa) so the anti-theft system within the bcm doesn't reject this new ecm. If you can find a matching ecm, use it as is.

Search for the procedure about the relearning steps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
patpatt

Thanks for the quick reply, fdryer.

1 - I know for sure that this one is bad. No need to revisit that question.

2 - It was my understanding that a certain amount of reprogramming (VIN, newer TSBs, and perhaps mileage and installed options) needs to be done on the replacment, whether it is new or came from salvage, etc. That's what everyone is telling me, even a parts house and a repair shop that I trust. Is that incorrect? If so, where does the replacement ECM get the information it needs, unless there is a unique ECM for every combination of engines, transmissions, ABS/trac, etc? Are you saying that the new ECM doesn't even need the VIN?

I'm familiar with the theft deterrent relearn procedure, so I can do that. Will I need to perform a crankshaft variation relearn also?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help patpatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You may be mixing the body control module (BCM) with the engine control module (ECM). The ecm is the engine management computer; its sole job is to run the engine. The bcm's job is to coordinate all the mini computers for diagnostic purposes, run all the lights throughout the car, handle the anti-theft system, work the door locks, etc.. Which one are you having trouble with?

The bcm is programmed with mileage, VIN, and some other parameters. The ecm is complete and doesn't need programming as it runs the engine and doesn't need any programming once it leaves the factory except for the occasional TSB update for something major.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
patpatt

I'm having trouble with the one that sits on top of the 3.0L rear intake manifold in plain view. My mechanic said that's the ECM, not the BCM. Is that correct? Is there any way we can talk on the phone? I can call you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, that's the ecm, the engine computer with the siamese connectors. No programming necessary if you find one from a donor car. New ones from stock? I don't know. Pm me and I'll give you a number......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
patpatt

Thought I PM'd you... twice. But the sent folder shows nothing sent, so I must not know what I'm doing. I'll try to email you now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Got it. Hope our conversation helped......and will get back to you about ecm info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
patpatt

Conversation definitely helped, and thanks for the file. As I understand from the ECM replacement procedure, for a replacement ECM someone will have to program the correct software and calibrations for the vehicle. I'll try to confiirm that tomorrow. Also, the rebuilder said they will return my original ECM. Makes sense since it had some problems too. I'll post updates as things progress(???). Thanks again, fdryer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!