SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
zatherith
zatherith is on a distinguished road

Default AT swap from 97 DOHC to 2000 DOHC question

I own a 2000 SL2 DOHC automatic and I am having problems with my trans taking longer to switch from second to third, and I believe it is slipping. I acquired another automatic transmission that I know works without any problems from a 1997 SL2 that has the same DOHC engine in it and I wanted to make sure that it is compatible since both the engines are the same, and if the computer would have any problems with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zatherith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zatherith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zatherith is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: AT swap from 97 DOHC to 2000 DOHC question

Gear ratios will be a bit off..

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...gearratio.html

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
Which could result in the PCM being unable to properly control the trans.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
skii33
skii33 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

gear ratios are the same ... it will work ...trust me ..I put a 2000 sl2 into a 95 sl2 . NO Problems . I read on here how the gear ratios changed in 98, and only one guy on here out of all the others assured me it would work , and it did. You all can argue and say i'm wrong if you like but i know what i know

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skii33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skii33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skii33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
Which could result in the PCM being unable to properly control the trans.
not to mention wouldn't that affect the cruise control (assuming the OP has cruise)?

ALSO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skii33 View Post
gear ratios are the same ... it will work ...trust me ..I put a 2000 sl2 into a 95 sl2 . NO Problems . I read on here how the gear ratios changed in 98, and only one guy on here out of all the others assured me it would work , and it did. You all can argue and say i'm wrong if you like but i know what i know
Actually you are mostly correct; the FORWARD gear ratios seem to be the same from 1991-2002, but the REVERSE ratio is a bit off though. So I apologize.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
zatherith
zatherith is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: AT swap from 97 DOHC to 2000 DOHC question

Thanks everyone for the responses, it really helped allot

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zatherith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zatherith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zatherith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

I know this is an old thread but with the reverse gear ratio being different does that mean it might not go in reverse?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skii33 View Post
+1^^^He is correct, it will work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
I know this is an old thread but with the reverse gear ratio being different does that mean it might not go in reverse?
It will be fine in reverse unless you are attempting to drive in reverse at 6500RPM. There is a minimum speed below which the PCM is no longer interested in any mismatch with any forward gear.

If this was as critical as some think then changing tire diameter would trip you up.

And beyond that the PCM does not monitor reverse performance at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote