SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2
Default Your oil change interval

I've had my car 7 months and thus far changed the oil once. That was 4 months and ~3000miles after I bought so I could start my own schedule. So far I have 3 months and 4000miles on that change. The oil life monitor has it at 48% I'm probably driving 75/25% highway/city in my driving. I'm curious to what everybody else is doing in this regards for "S and G's."

My father has an ION 2 and goes by the OLM, he says it usually comes up around 8000 miles to change the oil, and he's almost 100% highway.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Thumbs Up Re: Your oil change interval

right now i'm going by the 3k interval - but that's because i have the car care plan on it and want to get the most out of it however it's interesting because sometimes when i go to the dealer they put the sticker on indicating to come back in 3k, and other times the sticker has a 5k interval.

I fully expect to go solely by the OLM once my car care plan is up at 4y/48k

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Your oil change interval

I've got around 39,000 km on my XR and the oil has been changed three times: first by the dealer at the 6,000 km mark and the other two by me (the third being last weekend as a matter of fact).

My driving is basically 90% highway so I attribute that to the long interval between changes. I've never let the OLM go below 10%.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I go by the OLM. It's usually between 7-8k miles.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I,m changing at about every 10,000 kms (6,000 mls). Monitor says about 25-30% left on it. What I notice most is the quieter engine after the oil change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasoned View Post
I,m changing at about every 10,000 kms (6,000 mls). Monitor says about 25-30% left on it. What I notice most is the quieter engine after the oil change.
I've actually noticed that as well. The 3.5, along with the related engines that preceded it are somewhat noisy.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
CptMatt
CptMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I follow the OLM. This last time, last Friday, I changed the oil at 20% life left. It has been 4066 miles since the last change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CptMatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Harry-L
Harry-L is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2003 VUE 2.2L

between 3K and 3.5K

2000 SC Coupe ('99 - '02)
2002 LS200 ('02 - current)
2003 VUE 2.2L ('02 - current)
2007 Aura XR ('07 - current)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harry-L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harry-L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harry-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-L View Post
between 3K and 3.5K
Changing your oil every 3000 miles like the oil companies want you to is just flat wasting valuable resources.

I think (MHO) that using a synthetic lube and going by the monitor is best for your wallet, best for the planet, and best for your engine.

If everyone switched their engine oil to a synthetic lube, we might just get another 100 years out of the Dino-oil.

Again MHO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #10
dishdude
dishdude is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

If you go to www.bobistheoilguy.com you will find more info on this than you want!

From what I have learned on there and from experience any modern conventional oil is good for a minimum of 5k miles under normal service. Of course if you regularly take short trips of less than 5 miles or idle for long periods of time, you'll want to consider a shorter change interval. If you are in a climate where temps are less than 0F or greater than 100F, have a turbo or supercharger, then you might want to consider a synthetic.

Avoid Fram filters, and check your oil level regularly.

Engines generally go to that great big junkyard in the sky due to:

Low engine oil
Headgasket failure
Timing related issues; belts, chains failing
Overheating

2008 Saturn Aura XE I-4 Techno Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dishdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dishdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
MikeS
MikeS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
Avoid Fram filters,
I'll second that. In all of the tests I've read, Fram filters are rated at or near the bottom in terms of quality and efficiency. I go with Wix exclusively.

I change the oil in the Aura when the OLM reaches 15-20% (usually around 8K km / 5K mi).

'07 Aura XE (wife's)
'03 BMW 530 (mine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
dishdude
dishdude is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I'll second that. In all of the tests I've read, Fram filters are rated at or near the bottom in terms of quality and efficiency. I go with Wix exclusively.

I change the oil in the Aura when the OLM reaches 15-20% (usually around 8K km / 5K mi).

Wix is excellent. Purolator and AC Delco are good also...those are the only 3 brands I will use.

2008 Saturn Aura XE I-4 Techno Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dishdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dishdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #13
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

My Saturn dealer is less than a mile from my home. When my DIC reads the oil at 25%, I take the car in and use the oil and filter they recommend. I also get free coffee and donuts while I wait for the service. It usually takes 30 to 45 minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
freelancer
freelancer is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol View Post
I've had my car 7 months and thus far changed the oil once. That was 4 months and ~3000miles after I bought so I could start my own schedule. So far I have 3 months and 4000miles on that change. The oil life monitor has it at 48% I'm probably driving 75/25% highway/city in my driving. I'm curious to what everybody else is doing in this regards for "S and G's."

My father has an ION 2 and goes by the OLM, he says it usually comes up around 8000 miles to change the oil, and he's almost 100% highway.
Don't be that JiffyLube sheep. Change the oil when the car tells you to. Changing it every 3k miles does nothing but put money in someones pocket.

08 Aura Carbon Flash/Black Leather XR
05 Pontiac GTO YellowJacket

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to freelancer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help freelancer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

I came close to 6k miles and had 27% OLM. It was a nice day today. Figured good time to change before winter.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
berne1
berne1 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

My first oil change (10% left on OLM) was at ~9K. I do about 90% highway driving. It seems kind of strange to go that long, but GM swears by these OLMs, so...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to berne1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help berne1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
berne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #17
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

1st change at 2500 miles (was free oil change by Saturn as part of the 2.4L oil drain plug recall). Now has 6200 miles and the DIC says 60% oil life remaining. I plan to replace per the owners manual and the DIC. Any more often is really a waste of money and natural resources, unless you have extra ordinary driving conditions such as high heat, dust, etc.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #18
NOLA-Vue
NOLA-Vue is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by berne1 View Post
My first oil change (10% left on OLM) was at ~9K. I do about 90% highway driving. It seems kind of strange to go that long, but GM swears by these OLMs, so...
Right. We can all swear by the GM OLM because they really have done their homework, IMHO. Google on that subject and it should lead one to read up on the actual patent applications that GM won for the development of their OLM. I was stunned to learn of the high level of automotive engineering and research behind their system. Actually, it seems the only parameter that a driver has to watch out for is very dusty and sudden conditions which the OLM measures indirectly though the MAS (Mass Airflow Sensor) when the air filter is stopping up. Hot and cold weather, hot starts and cold starts, RPM's, oil and coolant temperatures, engine run time, etc., all act as proxies for what is going on with the engine. Just about every important concern is accounted for in some way by the OLM, before it clicks down to 0% oil life remaining and trips a warning.

According to GM, even at the 0% mark (when the OLM indicates an oil change is due/or to be done within 600 miles maximum), each vehicle, by engine type is calibrated to have 20% oil life remaining--as a buffer. Except in cases where synthetic oil is specified (like in the Corvette), the calibration is set for and calculated for conventional engine oil. It's a beautiful piece of automotive genius! Don't take my word, check it out for yourself and you will probably be a convert too.

"The principle difference between a man and a dog is that if you take a dog in and make him prosperous, he won't bite you!" - Mark Twain

2008 Aura XE-4
2006 VUE 2.2L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NOLA-Vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NOLA-Vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NOLA-Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #19
amitya
amitya is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE
2008 AURA XE

I got my Aura end of July 08 and got my 4th oil change yesterday. Im sitting at 8400 miles right now and most of them are city miles since i work from home. The lowest my oil life % has gotten is 60%. I have free oil changes/tire rotations for a year with my car so i am using them whenever i feel like i need to.

AmityA

2008 Aura XE -- 8400 miles
2007 Outlook XE -- 39K miles
1994 SL2 -- 502,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amitya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amitya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amitya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
Eyebolt
Eyebolt is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I'm getting my 2nd oil change for the 2.4L Aura I got in May this evening. I'm sitting around 10,300 miles and my OLM is at about 50%. Figured I'd get one in for the start of winter. For the most part I go by the OLM and have told my mother to do the same (despite the argument with the grease monkey at the oil change place she goes to) and shoot for somewhere around 30%.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eyebolt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eyebolt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eyebolt is offline   Reply With Quote