SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Some Retailers Want an End to Saturn Mandate for Stand-Alone Stores

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Some Retailers Want an End to Saturn Mandate for Stand-Alone Stores

Quote:
Robert Snell from the Detroit News: Stuart Lasser, who owns a Saturn dealership 34 miles west of New York City, sued GM on November 20 after the automaker rejected an attempt to subdivide his showroom and sell vehicles made by GM and South Korea's Kia Motors, according to federal court records. "All I'm trying to do is survive here," Lasser said in an interview with The Detroit News.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Some Retailers Want an End to Saturn Mandate for Stand-Alone Stores

selling another brand at the Saturn retailer would ruin it for me. it's bad enough that Saturn is selling rebadged vehicles now

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

What a moron. I don't know of any maufacturer that would be willing to allow a competing brand to be sold in the same dealership outside of their division.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Kia and Saturn are not a combination that I would want. That's ridiculous.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

The guy knows his customers, smart
Kia is right on target.
I promise I knew nothing about this guy before I mentioned Kia in another thread.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
What a moron. I don't know of any maufacturer that would be willing to allow a competing brand to be sold in the same dealership outside of their division.
Near me are
Kia/Toyota
Honda/Mitsubishi
Dodge/Mitsubishi
Audi/Suzuki
Suzuki/Subaru
Kia/Nissan
Mazda/VW
Hyundai/Toyota
Chevrolet/VW
There might be more
I completely agree with ending the mandate. Only brands that sell in such high volumes (Ford, Chevy, Toyota) that you can't fit anything else or brands that require a certain shopping ambiance (plus make enough profit that the dealer isn't losing money selling a few cars a week) require stand alone dealers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
s-seriesguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Near me are
Kia/Toyota
Honda/Mitsubishi
Dodge/Mitsubishi
Audi/Suzuki
Suzuki/Subaru
Kia/Nissan
Mazda/VW
Hyundai/Toyota
Chevrolet/VW
There might be more
I completely agree with ending the mandate. Only brands that sell in such high volumes (Ford, Chevy, Toyota) that you can't fit anything else or brands that require a certain shopping ambiance (plus make enough profit that the dealer isn't losing money selling a few cars a week) require stand alone dealers.
Are these actually dealers that are operating out of the same building or using separate ones and using the same lot? Or are they just dealers that are a part of an automotive group or network?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Are these actually dealers that are operating out of the same building or using separate ones and using the same lot? Or are they just dealers that are a part of an automotive group or network?
Some are 2 brands sharing the same building, some are 2 buildings sharing the same lot. The Audi/Suzuki one is weird and they are in the same building.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

(Buick Cadillac Pontiac GMC), (Mecedes), (Chrysler/Dodge) all shared a lot with different buildings. Guess which ones are gone from this lot...........

Saturns should be on the lot with a strong import. Kia and or Hyundai would be a good match with them.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
My local dealer sells Chevy, Pontiac, GMC, Buick, and Cadillac out of the same showroom. You could argue those brands compete with themselves, but that's another topic altogether. They group the similar cars together on the lot. The Chevy/GMC trucks are together, the Acadia, Enclave, and Traverse are together, etc.

I know of a Toyota/GMC dealer that shares a showroom. They used to have Oldsmobile back in the day.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Huh? I see it all the time. There's a Ford/Subaru dealer that I was at recently, for example.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

It's common to see multiple GM brands under one roof, particularly in rural areas. It may be a regional thing, but it's uncommon around here to see a GM car line share the same sign & roof with a non-GM brand ... they are usually separated by different showrooms, even if they share a parking lot & dealer name.

It would seem that the investment & overhead to maintain unique & elaborate showrooms, service facilities, etc. solely for the Saturn brand would be extremely difficult to justify economically from this point forward. Many of the new Saturn facilities are far nicer than the older Cadillac showrooms. GM should allow dealers to consolidate their facilities & GM brands in whatever way makes the most sense to the bottom line. The only exception might be to not mix Saturn with Chevy.

The days of cakes and celebrations for customers buying a new Saturn are long over. However, if they keep the same Saturn pricing and 30-day exchange polices, etc. that made Saturn unique, then they might live on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Default Car washes?

"The days of cakes and celebrations for customers buying a new Saturn are long over."

In this time of economic restraint, are service dept's still providing free car washes with any service?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
Ashkicker
Ashkicker is on a distinguished road

A little hypocracy here!

Isn't this the same GM that allows Saturn dealers to sell Opels and Chevy dealers to sell Daewoo's?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ashkicker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ashkicker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ashkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #15
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Reading the original article, it sounds like GM is doing this with other dealers as well as Saturn dealers.
Saturns have shared floorspace with other brands in Canada since their beginning. Why not here? If it means Saturn can survive better, why not?
As long as the service remains good, why should it matter if theres another brand on the same lot?

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SW2Muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #16
JTO
JTO is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

The Saturn dealers around here are mostly Saturn/Saab. They used to be Saturn/Saab/Isuzu. Must have a different agreement in Canada. Now that Saab is gone back to Sweden they will need another line, hopefully still with GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JTO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JTO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO View Post
The Saturn dealers around here are mostly Saturn/Saab. They used to be Saturn/Saab/Isuzu. Must have a different agreement in Canada. Now that Saab is gone back to Sweden they will need another line, hopefully still with GM.
The local Saab dealer here is with Lincoln-Mercury.
A lot of these dealers had been selling an established brand for decades, say Ford, Chevy, Dodge, VW, Toyota and added a newer brand when they were introduced to the US- Hyundai, Kia, Suzuki, Mitsubishi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #18
s-seriesguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
My local dealer sells Chevy, Pontiac, GMC, Buick, and Cadillac out of the same showroom. You could argue those brands compete with themselves, but that's another topic altogether. They group the similar cars together on the lot. The Chevy/GMC trucks are together, the Acadia, Enclave, and Traverse are together, etc.
Yes those are all GM brands too. It's not too uncommon to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
It's common to see multiple GM brands under one roof, particularly in rural areas. It may be a regional thing, but it's uncommon around here to see a GM car line share the same sign & roof with a non-GM brand ... they are usually separated by different showrooms, even if they share a parking lot & dealer name.
That's they way I have always seen it whe it comes to GM dealers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #19
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
+1. Mercedes, or Bentley fit your latter criteria. Lower-volume marques like Mitsubishi, Kia, Smart, Mini would do well to partner up with a stronger brand for stability and variety. I find it odd that GM has taken pretty much everything unique away from Saturn save for its retailer arrangement.

At the same time, I understand both Mr. Lasser's frustration and GM's position. As a franchise holder (franchisee), he did agree to terms between him and the corporation (franchisor) and simply can't go and say I want to take on another brand outside of my franchisor to pick up the slack. Although in the case of Bob Maguire, GM rejected his request to pair up Saturn and Chevrolet showrooms he owns that are a short distance away from one another. There are going to be some interesting legal challenges from U.S. dealership owners moving forward.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

Last edited by GR898SL2; 01-27-2009 at 07:55 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #20
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

IMO if you want to sell other cars then just close the Saturn part and sell the other cars. It's a terrible business decision to sell multiple brands that compete with each other. One brand or the other will be on the losing end of it.

If you're not happy selling Saturns or not selling as many as you'd like, just shut the Saturn part down and do what you want.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FGCA_XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FGCA_XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote