SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
got3saturns
got3saturns is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 saturn sw2 wagon will not turn over

i have a 2000 sw2 wagon that will not start . it acts like you are not pressing the clutch when u are .things i have done so far replaced the clutch switch with a brand new one had the starter checked it works .used a light tester to check the ignition switch and when i touched all the wires they light up when i turn the switch does this car have a starter relay switch or a neutral safetey switch ? anyone have any ideas ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to got3saturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help got3saturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
got3saturns is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 11:30 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 saturn sw2 wagon will not turn over

A manual xmission uses a clutch safety switch to prevent starting if the clutch pedal isn't fully depressed. An automatic uses the Park/Neutral safety to prevent starting if the shift lever isn't in either Park or Neutral position. The rest of the starting circuit are the same for both vehicles from the ignition switch to starter 'S' terminal in the starter solenoid.

Two specific checks to differentiate a starting circuit from starter problem is to measure the voltage at the small terminal on the starter. This is the only small terminal with one small gauge purple wire from the ignition switch. This is the START signal from ign switch to starter solenoid and should heave 12v on it as long as the ign switch is turned to the START position.A test light or multimeter can be used to check on this voltage. If you have 12 volts on this solenoid terminal and the starter doesn't power up, replace the starter. There are additional things to try too; smacking the starter body with a piece of 2x4 lumber a few times. This may allow the starter to run a few more times but would indicate a worn out one.

Was the starter bench tested or tested in the car? Bench testing starters are useless for worn starters because its hit or miss. What makes bench testing starters a 50/50 problem is that it isn't tested in freezing or desert/hot engine temps along with the fact that starter brushes and solenoids have a finite life. Is this the original starter or replacement? Original starters with 17yrs of flawless service and unknown mileage may be on its last legs.

Last edited by fdryer; 01-11-2017 at 11:37 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
got3saturns
got3saturns is on a distinguished road

i have taken the starter off and took too both auto zone and advance auto the starter is fine. i have taken the cover off the sterring colum and used a light tester on the wires that connect to the ignition switch, when i turn the switch the tester lights up on all the wires. there is 3 smaller wires that are coming from the top pf the lock cylinder and i checked those and nothing happened no light up i do have a voltometer but not sure what the volts should be on the things i check

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to got3saturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help got3saturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
got3saturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:51 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are two situations, a no start/no starter sounds of the engine not turning over and the starter runs/turns over the engine but the engine doesn't fire up? Which situation are you describing?

Since model year 2000, Saturns have a factory theft deterrent system. Yours uses Passlock detecting lock cylinder rotation, not a chipped/RFID key using a transponder similar to EZ-PASS. Turning the ignition switch/lock cylinder is detected by a set of magnets/sensors in a time sequence; the remote keyless entry fob enables/disables Passlock with a security indicator (car with a large padlock). If activated during a theft attempt without using an ignition key, Passlock disables injector operation. It does not disable the starter from operating. In effect, when Passlock is flashing and someone tries starting, the engine will never fire up. The starter can crank the engine over until the battery dies but the engine will never fire up. The security indicator turns off during starting.

It's useless to measure the three wires for voltages (presuming you're describing the wires going to the sensors mounted near the lock cylinder assembly).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote