SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2017, 11:08 PM   #1
knightofnoise
knightofnoise is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Incredibly Slow Acceleration From a Stop

I bought my Astra about a month ago, and it has a few issues, but the biggest problem I'm having is the acceleration. It seemed fine when I test drove it, but now that I'm driving in actual traffic, it's not.

0-20mph seems to take about a decade. I can put the pedal halfway down or all the way to the floor, and it makes no difference, there's barely any throttle response. Once it gets past 15-20mph, the RPMs start to increase much more rapidly, and it takes off like I would expect a car to.

It's incredibly annoying. I've owned 18 cars, most with less than 100 horsepower, and none of them were this slow to accelerate from a stop. I have to wait for much larger gaps in traffic than I normally would, just to make sure I don't get hit or cut someone off.

There was one day, maybe two, where it seemed to be accelerating the way I expected a car to, so I know it's possible for it to go faster than this. I thought maybe it was "learning" the way I drive or something, but if so, it forgot again.

It's an automatic, that might be relevant information. And the display does show D1, so I don't think it's trying to take off in 2nd or something. At least it doesn't think it is.

If anyone has any insight into this issue, I would really appreciate it. I want to like this car, but it's very hard to do so when it can't get out of its own way.

Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to knightofnoise's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help knightofnoise reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
knightofnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Incredibly Slow Acceleration From a Stop

It's definitely not a rocket, but it sounds like something is wrong. Is the engine light on? If so, can you get the codes read? It's not revving up without accelerating, indicating a trans problem, correct?

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

What is the current mileage? Do you know the maintenance history of this transmission?

296,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Hi,

Take a look at my thread from 3.5 years ago...sounds very similar.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195752

After a couple trips to the dealer it was determined that a gear had cracked. It was replaced (under warranty) and its been trouble free ever since.

It did eventually throw a check engine light but not right away. The glacial acceleration was very prevalent though.

2009 Saturn Astra XR, 95,000km
2008 Saturn Outlook XR, 260,000km

Past vehicles: 2000 Oldsmobile Alero, 220,000km - SOLD

Last edited by Saturn4Ever; 04-14-2017 at 11:37 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
What is the current mileage? Do you know the maintenance history of this transmission?
Yes^^^^ let us know the mileage on this vehicle. My 1st thought was a plugged cat after reading your post.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #6
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
Yes^^^^ let us know the mileage on this vehicle. My 1st thought was a plugged cat after reading your post.
A plugged cat or a bad camshaft sensor. They don't always throw a code right away.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

I would definitely check the camshaft sensor. It affects acceleration when it goes bad, and like Nicholas said it doesn't always throw a CEL (although the code may be there). It went bad on me, and and I almost got smoked by a truck merging onto the highway, because it wasn't accelerating the way it should. I had mine replaced under warranty, but I heard its a fairly easy job to do yourself. And its a fairly common problem, so I would look there first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote