SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
randomlywicked
randomlywicked is on a distinguished road

Default Electrical Gremlin

Hi all,
I've got a weird electrical issue with my Astra. When I first got the car my fog lights worked fine and I would get a "low coolant" alert. Then about a year after I first got it my fog lights stopped working. I've checked fuses and changed the bulbs but nothing fixed it. I don't even get a light showing up on the dash when I press the button.
I've done without for the past few years. Then a few days ago I went to use my window wash and I was out. The pump ran but I was out of fluid. While I was adding fluid I also noticed my coolant was low. The thing is I didn't get an alert for either one of those things.
Does anyone know if the fog lights and the coolant and window wash sensors happen to share a common ground or something? The only thing I haven't done yet is rip the car apart chasing wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to randomlywicked's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help randomlywicked reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
randomlywicked is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR
Default Re: Electrical Gremlin

Hmmm odd behaviour for sure on the fog lights. Wonder if there is a water intrusion issue somewhere or prior to you owning it.

If you don't want to track it down yourself there are usually mechanics who specialize in tracking down electrical gremlins.

2009 Saturn Astra XR, 95,000km
2008 Saturn Outlook XR, 260,000km

Past vehicles: 2000 Oldsmobile Alero, 220,000km - SOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Let me reply to the windshield washer problem.

When I obtained my car, my windshield washer could be full and I would hear the pump working, but also see no washer fluid, not even a trickle, come out. I have had such an experience before. When I took my compressed air hose (portable tank) and stirred the solution up, that is to the point of a lot of it coming back at me, I could immediately for a half minute spray as much fluid as I could want. It would then go to a trickle, then stop after just a minute.

Like many cars, there is a screen where the windshield washer reservoir meets the pump to keep matter from getting into the lines and clogging them. In the summer, most of the SF Bay Area away from the coastal zones has an incredible amount of fine dust. In addition, if you do not stay with the same brand of washer fluid, you will eventually get a fine precipitate fall out from the dissimilar solutions.

I was able to separate the two components and flush with a lot of water. I use a mix of only 25% Windex and 75% distilled H2O in this car. With the sticky summer tires I have on it, I do not ever plan to take this to Tahoe or the mountains in the winter, so I have no worries regarding the solution helping to clear the windshield of snow or ice. I have lived in Milwaukee, Ann Arbor, Indianapolis, and Stuttgart, so I do know what that is like. FWIW, I have never gotten the rear sprayer to work. When I have an afternoon to kill and I get about 15 other Astra projects done, I may give that a go. My only plan there is to run copious amounts of water through that line.

Finally, many here have replaced the spray heads with those of another model GM/Opel Insignia product, spray heads with a much better pattern. Something to think about once you get the solution pumping. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxme56h3eR8

Best luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
randomlywicked
randomlywicked is on a distinguished road

Yeah so again, I have no problem with the fluid coming out. The problem is that the sensor for low washer fluid does not work. Neither does the sensor for low coolant. Neither does my fog lights. The question is if these three things have something in common.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to randomlywicked's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help randomlywicked reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
randomlywicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:46 PM   #5
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Sorry, misunderstood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote