SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #81
Jamison4444
Jamison4444 is on a distinguished road

Default Distribution block wont budge????

Hey guys my astra has 47K miles on it. I don't think the spark plugs have ever been changed. I removed the two screws and I'm trying to remove the spark plug distribution block. It is NOT budging. I've tried prying slightly with a socket extension while pulling from the top. No Luck. It's really hard to get any leverage. I even tried using some rope to help pull straight up. I'm guessing it really shouldn't be this hard. Do you guys have any tips for me? Thanks!

I should add that the engine is still pretty warm. I'm hoping that trying tomorrow when it's a little bit cooler might help things.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jamison4444's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jamison4444 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jamison4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #82
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Spark Plug Change for Astra

Found this on another site. But unable to find details on the actual tool:

There is a special Vx tool for removing the coil pack. If you look un the top of it, you will see two brass threaded inserts. Handles screw into these holes to allow easy removal of the coil pack.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #83
bdshaffer
bdshaffer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

KM-6009, here is the tool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENT-MOORE-K...-/270600876352

I have changed my plugs twice and not needed one. Just pull up, not even very hard. Are you sure the electric plug is disconnected from the end?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdshaffer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdshaffer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #84
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshaffer View Post
I have changed my plugs twice and not needed one. Just pull up, not even very hard. Are you sure the electric plug is disconnected from the end?
I too have had my coil assembly out of the car a half dozen times and it has never given me a problem before. The only things holding it in place are:

1) two silver Torx screws (easily visible from above)
2) the electrical connector (on the right near the oil cap, under the black plastic wiring shield)
3) friction between the rubber boots and the tops of the spark plugs (not visible)

If stuck, you can screw two long 8mm bolts into the threaded inserts visible in the top of the coil assembly and pull up on those. Or, if you are extremely careful, you can use a large screw driver to lever the assembly out by placing the tip underneath and using the inner edge of the valve cover as a fulcrum.

PS: Once out, a little silicone paste lubricant can be used to prevent the rubber boots from sticking to the plugs.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #85
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Replaced the plugs this past weekend at 40,037 km. Old plugs had corroded to a gap of 0.045 - 0.047".

Not sure if it's just psychological, but the Astra feels and sounds great.

I've attached photos of old and new plugs plus one of the coil pack out of the engine for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000076.jpg (68.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00000078.jpg (95.1 KB, 97 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #86
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Thanks for the guide. Just did mine at 48,000km. Simplest spark plug job ever

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #87
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Nearly 4 years and 40,000km later time for spark plug change #2.

Second set seemed to be a little better than the first - less blackened from the looks of it and worst gap was .043.

2009 Saturn Astra XR, 95,000km
2008 Saturn Outlook XR, 260,000km

Past vehicles: 2000 Oldsmobile Alero, 220,000km - SOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #88
Saturn4Ever

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Had some file size trouble...here is a pic of the second round of spark plugs vs new:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_20170107_104804.jpg (203.0 KB, 32 views)

2009 Saturn Astra XR, 95,000km
2008 Saturn Outlook XR, 260,000km

Past vehicles: 2000 Oldsmobile Alero, 220,000km - SOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #89
jrahhali
jrahhali has a spectacular aura aboutjrahhali has a spectacular aura aboutjrahhali has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmidt1956 View Post
...I used Autolite Iridium XP Spark Plugs number XP-5224. The plug gap for these as per the Owners manual is .035. The plugs were gapped at .045 out of the box so I had to gap each plug.
Can you explain what this gap thing means? I would like to replace my spark plugs, but unsure about this gap thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrahhali's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrahhali reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrahhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:05 PM   #90
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrahhali View Post
Can you explain what this gap thing means? I would like to replace my spark plugs, but unsure about this gap thing.
Pretty good backround:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFehqlFsUQA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote