SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
xdarkxfirex
xdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura about

Default Signal Lever Switch Problems

Strange problem since I got the car. Usually its when you signal left, the signal cuts out as if you are turning the opposite direction, and many times you have to press on it 2-3x to get it to stay on. I have a replacement scrap yard lever with the cruise control. Would it be that or something else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xdarkxfirex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xdarkxfirex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2016, 01:28 AM   #2
xdarkxfirex
xdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Signal Lever Switch Problems

I pulled the top cover under the cluster behind the steering wheel to check how it is removed with the two screws holding it and the one at the bottom. I started to get a strange error, all lights would flash when the car was on and i put back the panel. If I try to install it at an angle same problem, and the key wont work for a few turns. Is this the anti theft system? After that it went away after the tpms, abs, and lastly check engine light went off. Second time, I had to reset the ecu because the engine light was on with no codes. Its all fine now.

Does someone have a way of knowing how to remove the lever?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help xdarkxfirex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
David R
David R is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Don't have any recommendation as to how to remove the switch. Your symptoms sound a lot like you've tripped some kind of anti-theft/anti-tamper/immobilizer circuit.

After I had my clutch changed I had all kinds of trouble with the turn signal. They dropped the transmission, exhaust, and the steering rack. When they put it all back together the steering wheel was slightly off, caused the turn signal actions to be way off normal.

I have an ongoing issue with the turn signals. It appears to be one of those mystery features. Depending on how hard and fast I operate the lever I get different results. Yes sometimes 2 or 3 tries. Sometimes the signal stays on until I turn the corner and straighten out. Sometimes the signal operates, 1 - 2 - 3 and off. Sometimes it turns off as soon as I release the lever. Mostly for left-turn indicating, but sometimes right-turn indicating. My wife on the other had, has no problems at all.

Perhaps you're having the same problem as I have.

~I'm not an authority on anything~

2009 Astra XE 5sp 175K km
2000 Honda Civic SI 5sp 172K km, AKA EX Coupe - Gone
1997 SW2 DOHC Auto 325K km - Stored for winter, used in summer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarkxfirex View Post
Strange problem since I got the car. Usually its when you signal left, the signal cuts out as if you are turning the opposite direction, and many times you have to press on it 2-3x to get it to stay on. I have a replacement scrap yard lever with the cruise control. Would it be that or something else?
Silly question but I have to ask to rule this out...you do know that for the signal to stay on until you turn you have to press it past the detents? Otherwise it functions as a lane change mode - 3 flashes and done.

2009 Saturn Astra XR, 95,000km
2008 Saturn Outlook XR, 260,000km

Past vehicles: 2000 Oldsmobile Alero, 220,000km - SOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
xdarkxfirex

The switch is easy to remove. There is a groove you can slide a 1.5mm hex into and it disengages the tab. I just figured out how it was done yesterday. I tried two levers, and still have the same problem. It happens mostly when I turn left. My regular mechanic told me it could be a flasher but I cant find one of this car or any light relays. He then told me it could be the internal unit, and it comes as a set called the airbag clockspring. I can get it from a upull yard but I dont wanna take everything apart to find out it is not the problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
David R

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Keep us posted, I'll be watching with interest. Most days it doesn't happen or maybe once or twice in a trip. Driving home Christmas Day I went to make a left turn, and it took 4 tries to get the signal to stay on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help David R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #7
xdarkxfirex

For me taking the lever in and out a few times helped it stop having the same symptoms. The only other thing is to take apart the airbox clockspring its connected to, and try to see if the joints are good, or find the flasher relay, which I cant find anywhere.

I think you can try getting a replacement lever. The OEM one is cheaper than aftermarket I found

This is the lever with cruise control its around $50usd on amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-13129...words=13129642

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
David R

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Thanks for that bit of information for sourcing. Interesting that a little shift in mounting alignment would have a noticeable affect on the lever's operation.

Kind of scratching my head, is the switch assemble in the lever or in the steering column? I can see two contacts out at the end, not enough to account for cruise, high-beams and turn signals. So is this a smart part talking over the CAN bus?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!