SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 02:24 PM   #1
clemsonsaturn
clemsonsaturn is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Very Weird noise

I bought a 1993 SL2 really cheap to fix up. The motor was knocking really bad so my dad and I put a new engine in it. After we put the engine in, we test drove it and the right passenger wheel is making a WAHHH WAHHHHHH sound like a grinding noise, and when you turn into it, to take pressure off of the wheel, it quiets itself. So, we were thinking it's the ball bearing for the wheel. Does this sound right? Also how hard is this too fix? The junkyard we got the engine from is giving us the stuff free, because the engine they gave us is bad....timing chain is VERY loud...so we also get a new engine free too.

So is that very hard to fix the ball bearing on the wheel???

2008 Honda Civic LX Atomic Blue
1992 SL2 Two Tone Medium Red/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clemsonsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clemsonsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2003, 02:46 PM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

DAMN, that's a LOT Of saturns there...

Could be bearing or CV joints..

How's the CV boots?

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2003, 02:49 PM   #3
TIMSPEED
Advanced Member
TIMSPEED is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1998 SW2

My 93 SC2 does almost the same thing..but the bearings have NO play in them, and the CV Boots are PERFECT...so..I dunno what it is...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TIMSPEED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TIMSPEED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2003, 02:53 PM   #4
clemsonsaturn

1992 SL2

Yeah I have lots of Saturns! My grandparents have had 2, so that makes 8 we've owned all together

Actually the 1993 Blue SL2 was my first (my car), then I got the 1998 SL2. Others are ones I bought cheap and fixed up. The 1995 SL2 had 280,000 miles on it, and that was 2 years ago.

The CV joints are good....so we'll see what happens when we start working on that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help clemsonsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:06 AM   #5
rebelchic
rebelchic is on a distinguished road

Interesting.... my '93 SL2 started doing the same thing yesterday on the front driver's wheel.

CV joints will not make that kind of noise anyway, when those go, you get a really nasty *pop pop pop POP* sound out of them.

I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with a cause on this. Mine appeared to stop doing this once I reached 75mph on the interstate for about 15 miles, I don't know if this had anything to do with the speed, or if it's just intermittant.

EDIT - How long was your SL2 sitting for? Mine I purchased for $30, and had a reputation for a light rusting on the rotors and calipers with intermittant brake problems. I'm almost wondering if it's a seized caliper causing it for both of us.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rebelchic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rebelchic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:30 AM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

could be the wheel bearings or cv joints. the front wheel bearings are pressed in so you'd need the special tools and a press to remove and install them.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2003, 10:02 AM   #7
Jim Waibel
Jim Waibel will become famous soon enoughJim Waibel will become famous soon enough

Idea

examine your upper engine mount. if it lets the engine drop it will make all sorts of noises. I personally replaced an axle and wheel bearings with no positive results. But, once I changed the upper mount, ( a common item if you read this board), I was rewarded with a quiet ride. turning to the right lifts the motor and quiets the car while turning left makes it worse. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim Waibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim Waibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2003, 08:40 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like one of the front wheel bearings is gone. If you're getting wrecking yard parts then just pull the entire front steering knuckle with the hub and bearing. Quick test to find out which one it is is to support the front of the car so the front wheels are off of the ground. Make sure the you can get the noise like this, run the car up to speed in the air and confirm the noise. Stop, get a long solid bar and put it under one of the front wheels to stop ot from turning. Run the car up to speed again and listen for the noise, repeat for the other side, The side turning that caused the bnoise is the bad bearing.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

Last edited by ssicarman; 08-14-2003 at 08:48 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2003, 06:55 PM   #9
clemsonsaturn

1992 SL2

Yep it was the wheel bearing. My dad and I fixed it with a whole new unit from a junkyard and it works perfect now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread