SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 05:55 AM   #1
ecaryn
ecaryn is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default EGR code P0405

The Service Engine Soon light came on on my car for about 5 seconds before I shut it off. Left the car off for a few days until I could take it to Autozone to have it scanned. Drove to work and then Autozone after work but light never came on again. Autozone scanned code P0405 for the EGR valve. This was about two weeks ago and light has never came back on, car doesnt run any different. My owners manual says that something as simple as bad gas can cause the SES light to come on. Since the light has not been back on do you think that could be the case in my situation? How could I check to be sure the EGR valve is actually bad since light has not come back on? What about the solenoid, could it be the culprit and how would I test that? Thanks for any help.

1996 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ecaryn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ecaryn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2004, 10:09 AM   #2
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Thgis code means the feedback voltage is out of range, high or low. The FSM gives several diagnostic aids, but the simplest suggestion: Carbon may be blocking EGR pintle movement.

You could have blown away whatever, if that was the cause. Try getting a new gasket and then gently cleaning the EGR. A couple bucks and less than an hour invested, even if that's not the real cause.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

You can typically reuse the EGR gasket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread