SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #61
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 07 ion water pump replacement... timing chain also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
I see. I will try to be as clear as I can possibly be. A bearing, whether it be the water pump's impeller bearing or a wheel bearing, will make a "humming" noise continuously. Over time the intensity of the hum increases. It will not subside - ever.

Water pumps in and of themselves do not rattle. A chain, whether a balance shaft chain (which drives an ECOTEC 2.2L engine's water pump) or timing chain, which is losing tension will rattle. In order for you to assist yourself in finding the source of the noise I would recommend that you utilize,

1) a mechanic's stethoscope http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=325 (available in auto parts stores or on-line), or
2) a long shanked screwdriver (flat or four point, it doesn't matter) of about two feet in length (place your ear near to the handle while resting the tip against a part of the engine and listen for sounds traveling through it).

I have both items, but in this case I definitely prefer using the stethoscope. The sound, or sounds, heard will be much clearer.

It is true that there is a valve lash "adjustment" on these engines and so a rattling may emanate from the cylinder head. However, adjustments in this area are made by replacing parts and not actually making a direct mechanical "adjustment" on to any part. BTW, where do you reside? What are the average daytime temps at this time of year? Cold weather can have a negative impact on the oiling of the upper valve train and result in excessive noise there until the engine is adequately warmed up.

It seems to me that the noise problem relates to one of two things (one of which can have two causes):
1) a loose chain
a) caused by a weak tensioner unable to maintain adequate pressure against the tensioner guide and/or
b) a different worn chain guide, or guides;
2) valve lash adjustment.
Yes, the sound goes away after the car warms up. I reside in the Houston area of Texas. You mention one of the possibilities being the chain.. if so the sound wouldn't go away after a while, right? So it's something else you think? I got a stethoscope. Gotta go pick it up from my P.O. box

As for the "rattle", could it be the water pump if the sound goes away after the car warms up? Its more of a sound of something rubbing up against something else and it gets slightly more intense when I turn the wheel or go over speed bumps.. or the slightest bumps in roads

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to that1man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help that1man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
that1man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #62
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Where are places one should put the touching end of the stethoscope? There is something I touched with the mechanical attachment and there was a rattle that I could not here without the stethoscope. Not sure if it's normal or has anything to do with whatever issues I'm having though. When I get a chance I'll take a pic of what I'm talking about. Other than that, would appreciate some guidance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to that1man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help that1man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
that1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #63
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1man View Post
Yes, the sound goes away after the car warms up. I reside in the Houston area of Texas. You mention one of the possibilities being the chain.. if so the sound wouldn't go away after a while, right?
It is relatively common to have a timing chain rattle at start up - lasting two seconds or less - and then not occurring further until the next start up, or perhaps not occurring for several hours, or until the next morning's first start up. At this time we just don't know what's happening. (If indeed the chain rattle lasts longer than two seconds at start up then there is a serious problem which must be addressed. This type of rattle is very obvious, being heard easily without the benefit of a mechanic's stethoscope since it's quite loud.)

Quote:
As for the "rattle", could it be the water pump if the sound goes away after the car warms up?
No. Refer to the response above. As previously stated, water pumps in and of themselves won't generate a rattling noise.

Quote:
Its more of a sound of something rubbing up against something else and it gets slightly more intense when I turn the wheel or go over speed bumps.. or the slightest bumps in roads
This description is inconsistent with what you've mentioned previously. You seem to be describing something related to a front end suspension noise, perhaps a wheel bearing. Is there more than one noise you're hoping to identify?

Quote:
Where are places one should put the touching end of the stethoscope? There is something I touched with the mechanical attachment and there was a rattle that I could not here without the stethoscope. Not sure if it's normal or has anything to do with whatever issues I'm having though. When I get a chance I'll take a pic of what I'm talking about. Other than that, would appreciate some guidance
To check the water pump you can place the probe directly in contact with pump which is located at the front of the engine block extending towards the firewall. You should see a tube attached to the rear of it running beneath the exhaust manifold. To listen for chain noises you could place the probe against the timing chain cover, valve cove, or even the front of the cylinder head which are locations nearest the timing components. Otherwise, you may place the probe anywhere on the engine or other mechanical parts you wish to listen to. (It's simply a matter of using some imagination to determine where to place the probe as there is no right or wrong in this.)

284,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 04-09-2018 at 01:12 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote