SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
Chicomen
Chicomen is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default 2008 Astra XR (2dr) stutters when accelerating

Hi All,

I just joined saturnfans forum. I am impressed by the wealth of information available to Saturn owners. Thanks to everyone that contributes. My 2008 Astra XR has nearly 94k miles and has been running well for the most part. Other than regular engine maintenance and brake replacement, there has not been any major problems. During the past few months, the car started stuttering/jerking when I tried to quickly accelerate. The problem has been getting worse, but the car runs well with the cruise control set at 75mph or when driving in the city. It is just when pressing the accelerator slightly more when merging into traffic or trying to pass.

BTW, I get no engine diagnosed codes errors. I have plugged the OBD unit in various occasions, but no code has has been returned. I have also read extensively other posts. I do not get error codes (yet) and have eliminate problems with airflow sensors. Hoping it is not the fuel pump as it is a major job as indicated in previous posts.

I am going to do the typical maintenance by replacing the air filter, fuel injector cleaning and check spark plugs (just less than 2 yr old). Any other recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I will keep you posted on any progress.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chicomen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chicomen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chicomen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
AstraFasta
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 2008 Astra XR (2dr) stutters when accelerating

A few more ideas without seeing the car that are typical z18xer issues:

- Clean the throttlebody and butterfly valve with throttle body cleaner

- Clean the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner

- Possible your coil pack is failing. The spark plugs need to be changed rather frequently, particularly the OEM ones which should have been swapped around the 30k mark. Worn spark plugs seem to stress the coil packs to damage on the Astra.

- Check condition of all spark plugs and make sure gap is near factory spec.

- Look for vacuum leaks.

- For example, the PCV membrane on these engines is lousy. The valve cover gasket tends to leak as well. You can test for a leaky PCV membrane at home. Back valve cover gasket will show weeping outside and or soggy spark plug ceramics. Since the PCV membrane is integrated into the valve cover, fix is to replace valve cover and gasket. If your valve cover gasket is weeping you might consider replacing the valve cover/PCV membrane at the same time (or at least inspecting visually).

- If this is an automatic transmission car, check the clear tank does not have oil inside or is like a milkshake. Only open with engine dead cold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #3
Chicomen
Chicomen is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Thanks AstraFasta. The car was running better, but still had the stuttering from time to time.

I took the car for a long drive up (3hrs) up and down hills afterwards. Finally, the root cause problem with engine misfiring continuously surfaced and the engine light came on. P0300 and P0301 engine misfire codes (cylinder 1).

Replaced the coil pack and all spark plugs to resolve the problem. I did the replacement myself, but struggle to put back the connector to the coil pack. The orange rubber inside the connector did not want to go back into place and was not allowing me to place the coil pack connector. I gave up and removed the rubber, but want to know of an easy way to place it back.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chicomen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chicomen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chicomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Silicone spray, soapy water, spit, some petroleum grease, synthetic grease. Apply with a Q-tip to lube the rubber seal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #5
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I think what Chicomen is experiencing is that there is no longer a supple seal (like an O-ring) that comes with most of the coilpack devices. Instead, all I have seen with the 4-5 I have purchased are "spacer" type units that have no give and do not seal and act as a dust-cover to keep the smallest particles out of the contacts. And the amount of force necessary to get a "click" is crazy. I sure do not want to have to purchase and install a new connector, should I ever damage either end when working on the car.

I kept the first "soft" item that was left from when I changed my coilpack the first time and it is performing well. I spray it occasionally with the 303 marine product and will keep my fingers crossed.

I have an inexpensive ($25-35) Czech made unit always in my car in case the coilover decides to go TU. I have given in to replacing the unit each spring with the Mexican made ACDelco part, watching for when I can get a deal on one with Amazon. I've paid $55-90 for the things.

I am curious if anyone is buying the 'Merican made ACDelco unit that goes for $180-220. Supple or hard spacer? Difference in performance? Anyone ever order the Italian (for Ecotec 1.8l in Alfas) or German items from Europe?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote