SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
SolomonMan
SolomonMan is on a distinguished road

Default Clutch Issues....

All,
Got a 2007 Saturn Ion with 133K on the odometer. About a month or so back had to have myself towed home from the bank (first time since I bought the vehicle with 6 miles on it) after pressing on the clutch it went straight to the floor.

Got out looked on the ground and fluid was on the ground and fluid was pretty much gone in the reservoirs. Never had any problem shifting prior to that incident and honestly been a very good vehicle. Also no brake issues just prior to break down or honestly much in car history except pads and a set of rotors.

Anyways I get in my garage over Christmas break and I fill the reservoir a little and have my son press the pedal and its clearly leaking out of the lines coming from master cylinder to "line connection" block toward the front of the car (before it splits to the brakes calipers/cylinder etc)...

Upon closer inspection I found two lines, one rusted severely and thru in a spot the other similar rust pattern but not thru,...I mean the lines looked great except for 4-6 inch area....pressure test prior to removal verified leak.

So I bought a 60 inch line split it in two and used the original connectors (taken from old line) with a new flare end I did on each...I hooked it all up...no big issue...and poured a decent amount of fluid in the reservoir...

My power brake bleeder was in my other garage so I went and got it...upon return couple hours later I found the reservoir empty and fluid all over ground....First thought was I forgot to tighten my new lines down...Nope all tight and no leaks apparent even upon pouring more fluid in reservoir.

So I added some more and see if I could "find" the leak (son was away at friends)

So my problem appears to be leaking mid back of engine and falling down the side of engine block to the trans/engine split...but does not appear to be lines there.

Is there a way I can test the power clutch throw out bearing separately?

I have concern that I could have blown out the lines and then messed up the throw out bearing assembly and am just seeing residue from original line issue and the rest is just dripping down inside the clutch area?...I would be surprised but I was surprised I lost fluid...I am also wondering if the slave reservoir is somehow releasing fluid...looking for other peoples experience here...I know I may just have to jack the car up and look thru wheel well area and have my son press the clutch/brakes a few times.

And finally what is the proper bleeding process...I assume as my brakes may have sucked in air I should bleed all brake calipers/cylinders starting in rear passenger going farthest to closest (ending up at driver front)...then do I do the throw out bearing last?

The last power clutch I bled was on an old 1968 Ford Panel truck...bleeding power clutches is not something I have done much on.

Thanks for the help,
Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SolomonMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SolomonMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SolomonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
SolomonMan
SolomonMan is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Clutch Issues....

All,
*bump*
Anyone have any experience with this clutch Assembly?

Especially bleeding air out of it?

Found a you tube video on it but my part appears a little different.

thanks,
chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SolomonMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SolomonMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SolomonMan is offline   Reply With Quote