SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2018, 03:34 AM   #1
thielgrad04
thielgrad04 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Ion 2003 Noises

Okay, so before anyone thinks I'm a moron, I'm a 36 yo female who isn't a car expert. I'm not completely lacking in car knowledge, but I mostly am learning as problems appear. I hate going to the mechanic and getting screwed on things because I'm a girl, so I try to figure out as much as possible so I can make smart choices and not let them scare me into fixing something that doesn't need fixed. So, hopefully someone here might have an idea what is currently wrong, because I've searched online and on youtube and can't find anything similar!!

I swear every time a mechanic fixes a problem, another problem shows up a week or two later. I recently had the exhaust replaced (4th time in 6 years?) since with no warning the muffler just fell off. Also had wheel bearing replaced since the grinding/ABS issue had appeared like a week before. After the repair, the car was fine for about a week, but after getting home one day, I noticed fogged headlights which was weird. Then I noticed that the bumper and grille and where there headlights connect all seemed more uneven and spaced apart. The bumper was loose. Pretty sure it wasn't loose before. I'd just washed the car really well at the car wash (by hand) so I think I would have noticed some oddities. Well, a day or two later, heading to the car, I something looked off, and that's when I noticed the black plastic that lines the wheel well seemed to be different. Like the pieces were overlapping each other and kind of loose. More metal seems to be visible that I just don't remember seeing before. (I've helped dad change tires before, and I've put air in my tires, so I've gotten close and personal with that area) Either way, I swear the wheel well just looks DIFFERENT, but not having a picture of the before...I don't know. I also swear these things were not like this (loose) prior to the bearing and exhaust replacement.

FYI: the brakes and rotors were replaced less than 6 mo ago. I've had rear CV joints replaced about 12 mo ago. Sway bar (for like 5th time) was replaced last year as well.

So, anyway, then the NOISE appears out of nowhere when I leave for work. I have lots of creaking sounds now, like my car is just going to fall into a thousand pieces. The most concerning is about 30 seconds after I start driving, this sound appears. What I picture when I hear it is if you took vinyl that had a rough surface and quickly rubbed them back and forth. It reminds me also of a handsaw going back and forth and the teeth are what you hear against whatever it's sawing, but it's somewhat smooth and something else. It's hard to describe this. I hope the attached sounds help. it doesn't seem to change with speed, in fact it almost goes away at higher speed, but it could just be drowned out by all the other noises on the road. It's most noticeable when I've let off the gas and start coasting, but I could be going 30 mph or 5pmh. When I press the brake, the sound stops. It does not occur when just idling. It also takes a few seconds to start up after I move again. So, going through several blocks with stop signs, it almost doesn't appear, but if I don't have to stop every block, then it has time to begin again. So, I was trying to figure out if something loose on the bumper or mud flaps or whatever those things are might be rubbing on something since they're loose, and I've tried to fit them back and secure the stuff as best I can. It doesn't APPEAR that anything is rubbing on anything, but it's hard to tell for sure once I start driving if anything becomes dislodged (can't tell from looking afterwards that anything has really shifted more).

I can't see anything (as much as I know what I'm looking at) on the breaks or rotors (they look smooth and straight). I don't believe I've run over any curbs or pot holes either. It's 16 mi round trip for work, so I'm not putting tons of miles on this either.

Some of the sounds in the audio I don't hear except on the recording. All I did was hold the iphone in my R hand towards glove box area using the voice memos app while I drove.

I hope the audio works.

Last edited by thielgrad04; 12-01-2018 at 03:44 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thielgrad04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thielgrad04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thielgrad04 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2018, 04:06 AM   #2
thielgrad04

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Ion 2003 Noises

See link. I had to make a youtube video. This site does NOT make it easy!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Saturn Audio.doc (23.0 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help thielgrad04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1- The whole exhaust system replaced or part of it? A complete exhaust system starts at the engine with four exhaust outlets coming together into one connection to feed into a large coffee can, catalytic converter. The converter converts exhaust gases into harmless byproducts, feeds this into a longish canister, resonator, to tone down exhaust noise, and continues on towards the muffler that quiets exhaust noises.

2- CV joints, articulated driveshafts, are used in front wheel drive like your Ion. The rear end do not have driveshafts. Google images of cv joints/half shafts/cv driveshafts.

3- Sway bars are in front and rear on cars to help against leaning tendencies of vehicles in turns. Most are shaped from tubular steel into a 'U' shape and connected to right and left wheel. As one wheel goes over a bump, the sway bar twists but the other end not going over the bump is fighting the wheel rising up on three bump. Sway bars are suspension mods for better handling of vehicles while driving. If you ever grew up in old cars without sway bars, you might remember how older cars leaned, swayed from side to side. Like a boat in water. Sway bars prevents this. And they usually never wear out or break in everyday driving. Thick rubber surrounded with a steel strap holds sway bars to the undercarriage. Google images of suspension systems.

A 16 mile round trip drive barely warms up the engine each way. As a new member with restrictions until making 15 posts, links aren't allowed but you can type the link in plain text. All anyone needs to do is copy your plain text info and search does the rest to find the link as a url address to YouTube. Your link is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hFeP2slzE. In plain text, for new members, h(space)ttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hFeP2slzE - adding a space after the first letter in the address forces software to treat the address as pain text instead of recognizing it as a link address.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Welcome to SaturnFans, thielgrad04!

Your sound recording description, as best as I can tell, seems to indicate a front wheel bearing noise. If you know of someone who can assist you and can safely place your car on jack stands you could listen for the noise yourself. I did this using an automotive stethoscope where the probe was placed as near as possible to the bearing area within the steering knuckle. One can also use a screw driver with a long shank in the same way and place one's ear up against the handle and listen for noise. The engine will be on and the transmission engaged (1st gear and just letting the wheels spin freely) and this can feel a bit disconcerting if one is under a car in this way for the first time, but if the car is safely placed on the jack stands there's nothing to be concerned about. I've done it several times and am still here to write about it.

If indeed you have a front wheel bearing needing to be replaced be sure to use a brand which is not made in China. The following brands would be reliable: AC Delco, Moog, SKF, Timken, and Raybestos (all offered at RockAuto.com). My experience with the Centric brand front wheel bearing of Chinese origin resulted in another replacement after less than 2.5 years of service which is extremely poor for that kind of part.

The number of replacements of the exhaust system and sway bar is extremely irregular. Sway bars themselves rarely ever need to be replaced, but their bushings will require replacement eventually. Echoing fdryer's question: what components of the exhaust system have been replaced? The system begins with the exhaust manifold on the firewall side of the engine and is piped with the converter, resonator, and muffler to the rear of the car. Was rust an issue which drove the need for such replacements here?

I don't know what to say about the body related concerns. When you next visit a repair shop - and hopefully it's worthy of your trust - ask them to save the old parts so that you can see what's been replaced. They should also be able to explain why the part was bad and needed replacement. This helps to keep them honest and gives you more control over the repair work.

303,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:18 AM   #5
thielgrad04

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Hi,

Thanks for the detail! I hope that you are correct in that it is the bearing. That is what they just replaced, and the only problem I had prior to it being replaced was was when I braked it felt like the ABS kicking in, and it was intermittent. If the bearing is the problem, perhaps I won't have to pay if it is the same wheel.

I think the exhaust replacement is irregular also. I don't know anyone else who has had this problem, let alone ever 15 months. Before, I had the loud noise and could tell it was going bad. This time, there was absolutely no warning. I had my dad take car for test drive to check the breaking problem and a quarter mile in, I heard this scraping sound and knew from the last time, the muffler was dragging.

Everything from the cat. converter to the tail piece was supposedly replaced. The shop tells me (first time anyone said this, and feel like its BS) that this is normal to be need frequent replacements, esp because of where we live (W. PA) and due to it not being stainless steel. So, I was like "Okay, can we replace with stainless steel then so I don't have to deal with this again?" He says something along the lines of stainless steel isn't an option for this vehicle. When I said something about how come I've never heard of anyone else having this issue? He got kind of weird with questions, like who are these people and what kind of cars do they drive. So yeah....

I'm going to take it back to them since they last worked on it and see what the issue is and if it's there mistake (cross fingers) then hope they fix it right this time. If it's something else wrong and I won't die or kill the car completely by waiting to have someone else fix it, then that will be that.

I also want to see the car when it's off the ground. I can't jack it myself because I don't really have a place to do so where I live and I know more about cars (especially lately) than my husband, so I'm on my own there.

Thanks again! I'll let you know the verdict.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2018, 04:08 AM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thielgrad04 View Post
...I don't know anyone else who has had this problem, let alone ever 15 months...(emphasis pierrot)
If your statement here is true then I've seen a new height of absurdity regarding this type of automotive repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thielgrad04 View Post
...He says something along the lines of stainless steel isn't an option for this vehicle...
Hopefully, this statement was made out of a kind of benign ignorance because it is demonstrably untrue. Take a look at the link from RockAuto.com about the muffler for your car and you will find that it is stainless steel.

Scroll down the page to find that information.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...431614&jsn=327
I don't know if other components are stainless steel, but you could speak with someone at Walker Muffler (part of the Teneco Company) yourself and ask for technical assistance - just do an internet search for the company to find the contact number. They could easily answer that question.

Here's the catalog page for your car's exhaust system parts.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...resonator,5872

When you next see this individual about the exhaust system don't immediately let him know what you now know. Instead ask him what brand of exhaust system parts he used. All manufacturers provide some kind of warranty on their parts and you want to know what it may be, and that's why you want to know the brand of the parts that were installed on your car. As the end user of any product you are entitled to know of the existence of manufacturer warranties because they belong to you - period. If he refuses to provide information to you, or claims the parts are already out of warranty, or that there is no warranty at all (for whatever the reason), then you know you have been dealing with a dishonest individual. Lure him in to making a statement again about there being no stainless steel parts available and then nail him for the false statement. He needs to be made to squirm, IMO.

Lastly, with regard to the wheel bearing concern: please remember that my opinion was based on what seemed most likely from the sound recording provided. There is no way for me to be 100% certain that that is the problem without actually being present there with the vehicle.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

An afterthought: the Walker brand has a long history in the automotive aftermarket for providing high quality exhaust system parts. The mechanic should be aware of this. They have been at least the equal of OEM exhaust parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!