SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
leftoverture
leftoverture is on a distinguished road

Default Blend Door Actuator

So among the many issues with my daughter's 53k mile Aura is the blend door actuator for the fresh air/recirculate function. When you turn it to "fresh air" (which it defaults to on startup), you can hear clunking. I know it is the actuator, the Delrin part is stripped and spinning on the rod. I took the glove box off and I can see the actuator way up in there on the right hand side of the air box (where the cabin air filter goes) but I cannot see how I can get to it short of taking the entire dash apart. I searched and couldn't find any how to threads here. Does anyone know how to change this out?

Thanks,
Tim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leftoverture's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leftoverture reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leftoverture is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Blend Door Actuator

Year, model? Access may be from removing four screws to the instrument panel compartment/glove box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
leftoverture

It is an 08 XE. As I said, I can see it in there, but no way can I get my hands in there much less any kind of tool to try and remove it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help leftoverture reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does it look accessible if you remove the glove box? I glanced at an '08 manual where it gave procedures thru glove box removal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
leftoverture

Yes...I had the glove box out. Not enough room to get in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, the service manual doesn't have any more information other than access thru i/p removal............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
leftoverture

Does it have any sketches you can post showing the procedure? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

These are the only two drawings from the service manual;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hvac 1.jpg (48.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg hvac 2.jpg (33.3 KB, 41 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
leftoverture

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Thanks. Having reviewed those, I will take another look at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
But isn't that an Astra diagram?

Wouldn't it be the same as the Malipoop?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABRG1Vh8igE

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
So among the many issues with my daughter's 53k mile Aura is the blend door actuator for the fresh air/recirculate function. When you turn it to "fresh air" (which it defaults to on startup), you can hear clunking. I know it is the actuator, the Delrin part is stripped and spinning on the rod. I took the glove box off and I can see the actuator way up in there on the right hand side of the air box (where the cabin air filter goes) but I cannot see how I can get to it short of taking the entire dash apart. I searched and couldn't find any how to threads here. Does anyone know how to change this out?

Thanks,
Tim
you are having an issue with the air inlet actuator & not the blend door actuator.

unfortunately on the aura, u have to remove the vcim & onstar modules to gain access to that actuator.

if u post an email addy, I'll send along the how-to instructions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
Savaking72
Savaking72 is on a distinguished road

I just finished this, and it was a pain in the butt. The heater blend door actuator was faulty. I bought a replacement from O'rielly's Auto parts. I bought a Dorman actuator part number 604-109. Note, if you're hearing the clicking coming from your passenger side dash area. Feel the actuators to verify the faulty one. There are two actuators in the glove box area. The first one is easy to access. It's on the left side of the glove box hole next to the radio. The Second is on the right side, and is up under the dash. Mine was the one way up under the right side of the dash.

Tools:
7/32nd socket and a 'small' 1/4" ratchet.
6" 1/4" extension
12" long flat head screw driver. With a wide flat head.
6" long flat head screw driver. With a thin flat head.
Flash Light.

1. Remove glove box.
2. Remove the plug from the defective actuator with the small flat head.
3. On the bottom of the dashboard (above the floor board). Remove the black panel under the glove box hole. Just pull down on the front of the panel. The panel is held in place by 3 pins.
4. shine flashlight in a way that is comfortable for you to see the actuator and the you be able to work hands free.
5. Remove the single screw with the 7/32nd socket. You can probably start the screw with the ratchet and finish with the extension.
6. the actuator is held in place by 2 plastic flaps. Use the 12" flat head and come up from the bottom to loosen the grip by the two flaps. Once the actuator is clear of the flaps use the flat head to pry the actuator from the heating unit.
7. After you have removed the actuator compare the new old actuator next to each other. Make sure they are orientated the same way. If they aren't play the good actuator in the turn the car on and the actuator will spin. Stop when the correct orientation is achieved.
8. Reverse these instructions to install.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Savaking72's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Savaking72 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Savaking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savaking72 View Post
There are two actuators in the glove box area. The first one is easy to access. It's on the left side of the glove box hole next to the radio.
this one is referred to as the blend door (aka temperature valve) actuator.

Quote:
The Second is on the right side, and is up under the dash. Mine was the one way up under the right side of the dash.
this is the air inlet actuator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #14
dschoenfeld
dschoenfeld is on a distinguished road

Red Face Re: Blend Door Actuator

Hey there. I am trying to replace this recirculation actuator. I was able to get the old one off without removing the onstar module and bracket, but con't get the new one on. Now trying to get that onstar module and bracket up so I can get up there but can't get to the bolt in the back. Any advice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dschoenfeld's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dschoenfeld reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dschoenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote