SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
scalemechanic
scalemechanic has a spectacular aura aboutscalemechanic has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Default front disc brake hardware??

For the second time in about two years one of the spring steel clips that go on just before you install the brake discs has broken causing a metal to metal screeching sound.

After installing a couple new ones on one wheel (which cured the problem), i'm begining to wonder if I should have bent the two tabs on each side of each clip to tighten it so it doesn't slide back and forth a bit. I haven't seen the answer to this anywhere. DOES ANYONE KNOW??

THANKS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scalemechanic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scalemechanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scalemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: front disc brake hardware??

The anti rattle clips are not supposed to move in the bracket at all. If they do then you have issues.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
scalemechanic
scalemechanic has a spectacular aura aboutscalemechanic has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

Thanks for the responce ssicarman, but that wasen't what i was asking. I know the bracket should be cleaned up and the anti-rattle clips should be a tight fit on the bracket.

The discs should slide eaisly on the anti-rattle clips but over time and after a lot of use, it seems like the anti-rattle clips could wander a bit to one side or the other because it's not locked in in a horizontal piosition, possibly causing problems like I had.

My question is, can you or should you bend the two tabs on each side of the clips so they cannot horizontally move no matter how much use they get??

Anyone??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help scalemechanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemechanic View Post
My question is, can you or should you bend the two tabs on each side of the clips so they cannot horizontally move no matter how much use they get??

Anyone??
I always have done that and never had a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

As I said the the clips are not supposed to move. If you need to bend the tabs that hold the clips in place side to side then do so. Nothing wrong with doing that. That said if you are getting new clips they should fit in place with no movement. If they have movement then they are either the wrong ones or poorly made. If over time they develop movement I would lean to poorly made.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
scalemechanic

2000 SL2

Thanks guys, i'll do that (flatten the end tabs). I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't be creating a new problem. These new clips do fit very snug when pressed on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!