SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Konowl
Konowl is on a distinguished road

Default Adding Steering Wheel Controls

I have the base XE. Great car - stereo is GARBAGE. Going to replace my headunit but need the steering wheel controls to maintain cmoputer control - if I just buy the steering wheel controls, is the hookup for them in the steering column already? So it would just be a matter of hooking them up and doing the TECH2 turn on? I ordered the OP COM thingy and am going to try TECH2 out myself LOL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Konowl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Konowl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Konowl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
bdshaffer
bdshaffer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Adding Steering Wheel Controls

There is a wiring harness you need for the controls that is not in your wheel. Also, the controls can't be installed on a wheel that didn't come with them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdshaffer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdshaffer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Konowl

So if I bought a wheel with the controls on, there will be a wire coming out of the steering column that I attached it to ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Konowl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
bdshaffer
bdshaffer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Maybe, depends if the seller took it out or not.

Look at this thread:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=140799

and this one:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128135

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdshaffer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdshaffer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Konowl

I've read both those threads but didn't get my answer. I'm just wondering if there is some sort of connection coming from the steering wheel that I connect the controls from the wheel to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
romanster
romanster will become famous soon enough

The XE does not have the yellow steering wheel control wiring harness under the airbag. If you buy the controls on their own, you will still need this yellow harness. And they won't fit onto the vinyl XE steering wheel anyway, the posts/clips are in different places. I suppose you can just cut them off and rely on the torx screw to hold them on though. That should be fine.

If you're buying the controls/harness, or a whole steering wheel with controls/harness, it will plug straight onto your existing steering column, no modification necessary. There is already a socket on the steering column. The dealer has to enable the controls with Tech2 afterwards though.

I added steering wheel controls to my XE 5 door, but I bought the leather sport steering wheel from an XR 3 door. It came with the yellow harness and the controls, so after I installed it, the dealer just had to enable them.

When I was putting everything in my XE5 back to stock to trade it in, I wanted to include the steering wheel controls and harness since the XR3 I was getting already had them, but like I said they physically won't fit onto the vinyl XE steering wheel. The vinyl XR steering wheel is different.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to romanster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help romanster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
romanster is offline   Reply With Quote