SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Engine Break In

Maybe I'm just search-dead?? What's the most popular method after a total rebuild?

I changed the oil after the initial start (still on the stands) after run up to fan on/off. Varying rpm from 1200 to 2000 periodically.

It now has ~ 400 miles on it. Mostly city with some small/short interstate/highway stretches at varying speeds.. Is there really any reason to avoid prolonged sustained (~75) highway driving at this point? Conversely, would I be better off putting my foot into it more? The engine seems "tight" and it (so far) appears that the mileage is lower than it was?? I'm wondering if it was so good before because of the slop???

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
frogman
frogman is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: Engine Break In

Honestly I think its completely up to you how you treat it now. From what I know highway driving is good for the engine, as your running at a constant rpm. If you ran the car at a slower speed but with same rpm would it be much different?

I would say highway driving is the test to see if you put that engine back together properly good luck on what ever you do, just to be on the safe side I would wait till an experienced poster put his/her two cents in

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frogman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frogman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Engine Break In

the breakin period is only a few hundred miles. the rings and valves have to set themselves. u need dhorts periods of low speed to higher speeds, not prolonged high speeds. the idea to get get the rings & valve hot at highe speeds then let them cool down at lower speeds.
u certainly did the correct thing by changing the oil & filter (i hope).
now drive the car as u wish.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote