SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Please help me understand steering wheel controls

I had the CD40 Opera including steering wheel controls. I removed the CD40 head unit and replaced it with a Kenwood KCD-HD942U. When the shop ordered the adapter for the steering wheel controls they ordered the wrong one. Right now my right side steering wheel controls don't control of the stereo at all and all I can do with the left controls is flip to the mileage screens, stopwatch, and acknowledge errors. It's not a huge deal but my clock is wrong and I can't set it because I can't access other screens.

In reading other threads I understand I need a 'Connects2' adapter and another adapter specific connector to my head unit to solve this. I was told by a UK based Ebay vendor that only certain brand (Alpine, Blaupunkt, Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, JVC, Sony, and Beat) head units will work with our Astra steering wheel controls. When they say that do they mean the head unit, the BC, or both?

My question is, can the 'Connects2' adapter enable the BC steering wheel controls by itself? The reason I ask is I am going to return the Kenwood (poor audio, cumbersome controls, and horrible bluetooth) and try another deck. The one I'm considering is the 'Eclipse CD-7200 MK II' and it is not in the list of supported brands. Does this mean I'll simply not have the right side steering wheel controls to control the head unit? If so, I can live with that.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Please help me understand steering wheel controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robor007 View Post
I had the CD40 Opera including steering wheel controls. I removed the CD40 head unit and replaced it with a Kenwood KCD-HD942U. When the shop ordered the adapter for the steering wheel controls they ordered the wrong one. Right now my right side steering wheel controls don't control of the stereo at all and all I can do with the left controls is flip to the mileage screens, stopwatch, and acknowledge errors. It's not a huge deal but my clock is wrong and I can't set it because I can't access other screens.

In reading other threads I understand I need a 'Connects2' adapter and another adapter specific connector to my head unit to solve this. I was told by a UK based Ebay vendor that only certain brand (Alpine, Blaupunkt, Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, JVC, Sony, and Beat) head units will work with our Astra steering wheel controls. When they say that do they mean the head unit, the BC, or both?

My question is, can the 'Connects2' adapter enable the BC steering wheel controls by itself? The reason I ask is I am going to return the Kenwood (poor audio, cumbersome controls, and horrible bluetooth) and try another deck. The one I'm considering is the 'Eclipse CD-7200 MK II' and it is not in the list of supported brands. Does this mean I'll simply not have the right side steering wheel controls to control the head unit? If so, I can live with that.
What you need is the connects2 adapter which comes in two parts. The harness itself, and the radio specific lead which connects into the "converter" box of the harness. Its true they only make them with functionality for a handfull of brands to date. (ie kenwood, sony, pioneer, etc). I would imagine, when they say only works with so and so brands it means for both the headunit control and bc control meaning that you cant just use the main harness component (since both pieces work together) with another brand headunit to retain the controls but that could be wrong, didnt try it to see.

The best thing is to email connects2 themselves and tell them what you want to do (eclipse unit with connects2 what would it retain of the steering wheel functions left and right if anything) as they would have the best answer, but im thinking its a no just with how the harness works. BUT could be totally wrong.

There are other brands availible to retain the steering wheel controls in the . Auto Leads is one brand I believe. There are a few (decent sized list of other companies and models supported) if I recall correctly and its just that the connects 2 is the best, easiest one to use.

I'll see what I can find again for you and post it up, my memory is a bit foggy, but in the meantime fire off a question email to connects2 themselves:

technical (at) connects2 (dot) com

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Thanks for the contact info!

I fired off an Email to Connects2 support and another to the Ebay vendor asking specifically about the Eclipse model I'm considering.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Well the Ebay vendor replied saying there are no adapters for an Eclipse head unit and steering wheel controls in the Astra. I can live without controlling the head unit from the steering wheel so I asked what I need for that. He said I shouldn't need anything regarding the BC controls. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Mine only partially work now - just mileage and stop watch menus available.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Connects2 support on compatibility but based on THIS THREAD the Eclipse brand is not supported.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
luke.111
luke.111 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He said I shouldn't need anything regarding the BC controls.
Technically, he is right. You can still operate the BC from the steering wheel controls even if you had no radio or adapter; you just wouldn't have access to the "Settings" menu, as you are experiencing now.

There is nothing in the new radio you put in that enables the Connects2 adapter to work with the BC (and in particular the Settings menu). So to answer your original question, yes, the Connects2 adapter by itself should enable full BC access via the steering wheel controls, even if you don't put a radio in at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luke.111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luke.111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luke.111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.111 View Post
Technically, he is right. You can still operate the BC from the steering wheel controls even if you had no radio or adapter; you just wouldn't have access to the "Settings" menu, as you are experiencing now.

There is nothing in the new radio you put in that enables the Connects2 adapter to work with the BC (and in particular the Settings menu). So to answer your original question, yes, the Connects2 adapter by itself should enable full BC access via the steering wheel controls, even if you don't put a radio in at all.
So regardless of what head unit I choose to install - be it 'Connects2 compatible' or not - I should get a Connects2 adapter to enable the full BC controls?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
luke.111
luke.111 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So regardless of what head unit I choose to install - be it 'Connects2 compatible' or not - I should get a Connects2 adapter to enable the full BC controls?
Yes.

If you've got an e-mail out to Connects2 anyway, you might as well wait for their reply; but the radio should not factor in to the BC part of the equation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luke.111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luke.111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luke.111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.111 View Post
Yes.

If you've got an e-mail out to Connects2 anyway, you might as well wait for their reply; but the radio should not factor in to the BC part of the equation.
Excellent... My main concern was the BC controls. Most head units have remotes and at worst are only an arms reach away.

Thanks for the help all!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!