SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2007, 01:18 AM   #1
liamsaturn
liamsaturn is on a distinguished road

Default rust rear doors

Greetings all
92 S series
I am a newbie to the forum as well as to saturns
so far so good, I am impressed with what I have seen except the rust
is there a quick fix for the metal slat/post between the roll down window and the fixed glass in the rear doors
of course all metal is gone at the door jam below the plastic, That I can repair
but I am not familar with the doors
Do I need to replace the doors?
can the slats/post be replaced, fixed?
any cool tricks or ideas???

ThanksLiam

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to liamsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help liamsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
liamsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
HStockSolo
HStockSolo is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: rust rear doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsaturn View Post
is there a quick fix for the metal slat/post between the roll down window and the fixed glass in the rear doors
of course all metal is gone at the door jam below the plastic, That I can repair
Quickest is to replace the entire door including the door hinges (they are easier to bolt/un bolt to the body than the door.)

That piece of frame and that little triangular window are a seperate replaceable part. I got two nice rear doors w/ hinges from a 1995 SL1 from the self-service junkyard. I pulled out those windows and exchanged them with the rusted through ones on my 1995 SW2, and then returned the SL1 doors for a refund.

There are two Torx bolts one on the top and and one on the bottom holding it in. You have to remove the outer door panel to get at the bottom bolt. There are about a dozen torx bolts and the outer rubber trim holding the outer panel to the door frame. Roll down the windows, take out all the bolts, and gently pry the outer panel loose from the trim. Pull the weather stripping back from the top corner of the door to access the upper torx screw holding the top of the window in. Pull the weather striping lose from the channel and then remove the lower torx bolt holding in the bottom of the window. Then just shimmy the window gently out of the door frame.

I would recommend sanding any rust out of the replacement window frame and giving them a few coats of black enamel. They rust from the inside out. The replacements I found one looked rust free before I pulled them out of the door and looked behind the weatherstripping. Also it is a good idea to put a strip of masking tape on the bottom of the frame before you reinstall it--otherwise you will likely grind a bunch of paint off. And you might as well sand and paint any more rusted areas inside the door frame while you have outer panel off.

1995 Saturn SC2 - ST(X)ish
1994 BMW 325i Sport
www.furrin.org

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HStockSolo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HStockSolo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HStockSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
RevoRacer
RevoRacer is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

I had some rust on my door sills just under the rear doors. I ended cutting out the old and welding in new steel. It was a 2 day project. But it was worth it, because now I can honestly say my 94 is rust free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RevoRacer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RevoRacer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RevoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsaturn View Post
Greetings all
92 S series
I am a newbie to the forum as well as to saturns
so far so good, I am impressed with what I have seen except the rust

ThanksLiam

Well, I don't live in the rust belt up there, so I have no idea about the slats, as I have NEVER seen any that are rusted through, or even corroded. Mine have lost the clear coat on the paint, which I plan on sanding down and repainting. Now, the door sills, of course, have rusted, and are flaking apart, but I too, am planning on cutting and welding to repair that.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote