SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line
Mad Oil Change Rant......

Like many of you I change my own oil. I don't mind changing the oil in my Sky or the wife's Kia, but daggonit, changing it in the LW is a %$*@&$^#* PITA! Draining the oil isn't bad, quite easy in fact, but changing the filter in the LW, my DD, is a real challenge. First there's very little room between the engine and the radiator to begin with, add to that large hands, and then trying to get the (new) filter pressed into the housing is nearly impossible, no it IS impossible for me. Those 4 little #%$%#*(@ prongs, pins, whatever they’re called that never fit into the filter housing drive me nuts! The last time, two apparently broke off/bent outward or inward in the process and the result was the filter being crooked and twisting (see PIC). This past weekend I changed the oil and while trying to angle the pins inward, I broke one , but even with one missing I still could not get the remaining 3 into the hole in the filter housing, so in frustration I removed them all , tucked the filter into the housing and twisted the cap back on. What an utterly stupid filter design! There, I feel better now that I vented! You may now return to viewing more coherent posts…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mangled filter.jpg (113.8 KB, 36 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: Oil Change Rant......

So I'm thinking that maybe this is what I need....

Anyone ever relocated theirs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Ha-ha-ha, lol!? Poor you and your lousy oil woes!? No pity but maybe some empathy.......

My first oil change almost resulted in breaking the oil filter cap so I reluctantly brought my car to Saturn and voiced my anger about the overtightened cap. I swear I saw the mechanic use a long pipe to add leverage to removing the cap. I explicitly told the tech not to overtighten the cap and have never returned. Enjoy the laugh.

2-After a few years of using an adjustable wrench to unscrew the oil cap a few degrees at a time, I broke down and bought a low profile socket (Harbor Freight?) and can use a ratchet (3/8ths?) for easier cap removal. The black oxide coated plain one.

3-By chance, is your oil cap the old style one and incompatible with the upgraded oil filter elements? Maybe the filters are being crushed from those tabs. My car has the round shouldered oil cap with the tabs slipping onto the cap to hold it as I put filter and cap back on. I've never crushed filter elements since I bought my car back in '05. See the info below. The drawing of the nozzle like nose piece on one end of filters seems incorrect. I use the same filters you use too, from several sources. Each comes boxed with a new oil O-ring.

I wouldn't waste money on that plumbing nightmare just to relocate the oil filter but that's just my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (133.4 KB, 23 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information-1.pdf (95.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf Service Information-3.pdf (129.2 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Sky Pilot

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line

My cap is metal with a 1/2" ratchet hole in the top of it and once done, I torque it to about 20 pounds. The filter doesn't look like the one you note, it looks like this pic:

I've been doing the OC on the LW since it was new, so 14 years this year...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Filter2.JPG (29.6 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I use ac delco filters on my wife's car and never had an issue. I also use a ratcheting wrench to take off and install the oil filter cap. I bought it on Amazon for 10 bucks or so. One thing to consider is that maybe you're not totally capable of doing oil changes on these cars. I don't mean that as a jab, but might be something to look at.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
My cap is metal with a 1/2" ratchet hole in the top of it and once done, I torque it to about 20 pounds. The filter doesn't look like the one you note, it looks like this pic:

I use a long box wrench to remove the metal cap on my 3.0. There is a hex head nut on my cover. Have been using Wix Brand filters and have not had a problem with tabs breaking.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post

As I mentioned previously, the drawing from the service manual doesn't represent our filters and is a distraction to the two oil caps on the first page of the service bulletin. I use the same filter elements too, just yellow instead of red.

Please be aware that you're overtightening the oil cap. 20 ft lbs is 9 ft lbs over the recommended 11 ft lbs from service manuals. I don't use torque wrenches for trivial use. The best advice I can suggest is to replace the oil cap O-ring, lube it, screw on the oil cap/filter until the O-ring interferes and use whatever tool is needed to screw the cap on. As soon as the cap bottoms on the oil filter housing is near perfect because those cap threads are coarse and do not take much to over tighten. The O-ring serves as the seal against oil leaking, not tightening cap. I've never had oil leak out this way. Tightening the cap serves no purpose when the O-ring does all the work against oil leaks. 11 ft lbs is not very much torque.

Are you sure your oil cap isn't the older style with flats around the perimeter? Without a picture for comparison, it's difficult to tell if the updated round shouldered cap is deeper to accommodate the tabs on the filter element. You may have to look into the oil filter housing next time to ensure nothing is inside to cause element crushing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
Sky Pilot

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
As I mentioned previously, the drawing from the service manual doesn't represent our filters and is a distraction to the two oil caps on the first page of the service bulletin. I use the same filter elements too, just yellow instead of red.

Please be aware that you're overtightening the oil cap. 20 ft lbs is 9 ft lbs over the recommended 11 ft lbs from service manuals. I don't use torque wrenches for trivial use. The best advice I can suggest is to replace the oil cap O-ring, lube it, screw on the oil cap/filter until the O-ring interferes and use whatever tool is needed to screw the cap on. As soon as the cap bottoms on the oil filter housing is near perfect because those cap threads are coarse and do not take much to over tighten. The O-ring serves as the seal against oil leaking, not tightening cap. I've never had oil leak out this way. Tightening the cap serves no purpose when the O-ring does all the work against oil leaks. 11 ft lbs is not very much torque.

Are you sure your oil cap isn't the older style with flats around the perimeter? Without a picture for comparison, it's difficult to tell if the updated round shouldered cap is deeper to accommodate the tabs on the filter element. You may have to look into the oil filter housing next time to ensure nothing is inside to cause element crushing.
Good advise and I'll check out the cap next time...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
I use a long box wrench to remove the metal cap on my 3.0. There is a hex head nut on my cover. Have been using Wix Brand filters and have not had a problem with tabs breaking.
I'll update this the tool I use is a long open wrench that is 24mm and that fits perfectly when I use it the hard part is to turn it in the right direction. If you come from the front laying down for say turn the left to loosen it and turn right to tighten it back. I found out bad ways on two Saturns and was lucky to find replacements. This way you don't touch other then when you grab it to pull it out. The space is small and tight but one needs to use common sense when doing this job-this isn't a jiffy lube job. I've done my fair share of this over time to learn to do it the smart and slow way so you don't break anything because it will cost you time to fix it.

Last edited by Russet; 08-12-2017 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: revise

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
lrbraner
lrbraner is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I realize this an old post but really..........................
You are trying to install the filter backwards !!!!!!!!!!
The four fingers are meant to retain the filter to the CAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
While you screw it on to the housing.
Come on people ?????????????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lrbraner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lrbraner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #11
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Oil Change Rant.. rememba to check your bearings

hi sages- this is an interesting thread which I read carefully. bought my 01 L100 sedan with the 4cyl. new in oct 2000. have done all the oil changes myself so I have much experience removing the cap and filter. have never liked letting another do oil changes for me. usually an excuse for a shyster to try for a home run with a discovered uneeded job("noticed your car needs a new set of muffler bearings!"). or worse yet shyster busts something resulting in a clusterf@#$!k. this would be very easy with the filter r and r. the car was assembled in Delaware and took a 6 week order since I insisted on a 3d floor pedal. I use a combination of wrenches and sockets to loosen the cap since the clearance issue is a challenge and then hand loosen and take off. never knew there was a cap and filter modification. cap is black plastic . use a 9018 filter from wal mart (supertech) which im told is made by purolator in china and quaker 10-30 conventional. dump at 4k. never a problem . now have 183k and no problems. just have to be careful, gentle and slow when you do the filter to avoid crushing. no flats on the cap. change must have been done in 00 on the 01 models on assembly line. any advice? thanks tons bob f. btw never had to replace muffler bearings nor replace blinker fluid. hope you've been this lucky too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
Sir Wagonsky
Sir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I have to agree, for the tabs to be busting off continuously, reverse installation was immediately suspect. But I'm not sure it would even fit that way.

As mentioned here, the filter element should snap into the cap and you have to be careful , after "tipping it in" , that you are sending the cap and its cartridge totally straight and you can actually feel it line up and engage as you begin initially hand tightening.

My first oil change I imagine the previous owner over tightened because the entire assembly spun in the breeze. I ordered the housing, busted the old one up, recovered the cap, and replaced the housing. The filter was so dirty I imagine the previous owner gave up and just did oil without filter changes.

If OP is confident he is orienting the cartridge correctly, I would remove the housing and inspect. Possibly debris from a previous filter is down by the seal. Maybe a piece of bottom plastic collar is down there from a previous filter. It's one 13mm ?? mm bolt in the center holding it in. Inspecting it in place is likely impossible.

I thought when I replaced my housing it was a single tab that had broken off, allowing it to spin. I can't recall. But here's an image from FartsGeek

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠

Last edited by Sir Wagonsky; 09-17-2019 at 10:08 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sir Wagonsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Wagonsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sir Wagonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #13
lrbraner
lrbraner is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

If you read the OP's post carefully it is obvious that he is installing the filter backwards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lrbraner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lrbraner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #14
Sir Wagonsky
Sir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbraner View Post
If you read the OP's post carefully it is obvious that he is installing the filter backwards.
Ok Now...

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Wagonsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #15
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just my 5 cents worth on what is an old, but still relevent dialogue. I have just completed oil/filter change # 7 on my son's 2003 L300, so I think I'm getting the hang of it now! LOL. I do oil/filter changes at 6000 miles or 6 months.

When we first bought the car over 5 years ago, the oil filter bowl cap had been put on by an Orangutan with an airline and we had to destroy the cap to complete the filter change. Along with a new bowl cap, I bought the right size socket for the cap and I do NOT tighten the cap too tight. I do not have problems with getting the cap off, leaks or the filter being damaged. The 4 'pegs' on the filter clip into the cap and I too insert the cap with filter into the housing with NO problems to date.

The Haynes Manual only states the cap should be securely tightened. It gives no torque setting, although it gives 19 pounds for the drain plug. Given that with a regular spin on cartridge the tightness is hand tight, that confirms that 20 pounds as the original poster stated is WAY too tight and probably explains why he has damaged filters and a hard time releasing the cap.

For those used to a spin on cartridge, the system in the L series may seem frustrating. Whilst the concept harks back to BC (Before Canisters) when you bought a paper or mesh filter which sat inside a metal filter bowl with a vertical bolt with washers on to hold everything in place vertically, it does however save on recycling as only the paper filter is ever used and discarded, unlike the spin on cartridge which has metal and plastic parts as well. It is also worth noting that this same filter in the bowl system is used by BMW, Toyota, Lexus to name but a few.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #16
Sir Wagonsky

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
Just my 5 cents worth on what is an old, but still relevent dialogue. I have just completed oil/filter change # 7 on my son's 2003 L300, so I think I'm getting the hang of it now! LOL. I do oil/filter changes at 6000 miles or 6 months.

When we first bought the car over 5 years ago, the oil filter bowl cap had been put on by an Orangutan with an airline and we had to destroy the cap to complete the filter change. Along with a new bowl cap, I bought the right size socket for the cap and I do NOT tighten the cap too tight. I do not have problems with getting the cap off, leaks or the filter being damaged. The 4 'pegs' on the filter clip into the cap and I too insert the cap with filter into the housing with NO problems to date.

The Haynes Manual only states the cap should be securely tightened. It gives no torque setting, although it gives 19 pounds for the drain plug. Given that with a regular spin on cartridge the tightness is hand tight, that confirms that 20 pounds as the original poster stated is WAY too tight and probably explains why he has damaged filters and a hard time releasing the cap.

For those used to a spin on cartridge, the system in the L series may seem frustrating. Whilst the concept harks back to BC (Before Canisters) when you bought a paper or mesh filter which sat inside a metal filter bowl with a vertical bolt with washers on to hold everything in place vertically, it does however save on recycling as only the paper filter is ever used and discarded, unlike the spin on cartridge which has metal and plastic parts as well. It is also worth noting that this same filter in the bowl system is used by BMW, Toyota, Lexus to name but a few.
My kid's Mini (BMW) takes cartridge. Not troubles yet.
That Orangutan with the airline gets around , too

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠

REWARD EXCELLENCE!